track/ road tyres

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

cheesie
Site Sponsor

track/ road tyres

Post by cheesie » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:02 pm

my bike is curently wearing metz sportec m3 which I have been very happy with, I am thinking of taking the bike of the road next year or doing very little road work and doing mostly track days, the metz warm up quick and give me great confidence, should I stick with them or try somthing more track focused, not been doing track days long but the bug has bitten deep tyres are to expensive to feck about with so thought I would ask for your advice

HansJ
Site Sponsor

Re: track/ road tyres

Post by HansJ » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:21 am

Depends on if You're fast enough to get the track tyres warm enough... Seriously! If not, then the track tyrs wil wear out too fast, or You might even end up with less grip compared to the M3s.

Are your M3s wearing properly, and not overheating after a 20 minute session, I see no reason for changint to track tyres. Once they're worn down, You can always try a set of used track tyres (Racetec or similar), that won't cost a fortune. And if You get them warm enough, it's time for getting tyre-warmers, and a generator, and a van and... The bug has some implications :)
IQiokW
*** Stalwart of the Sight ***

cheesie
Site Sponsor

Post by cheesie » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:58 pm

got a work van and generater :) I will be using the van this weekend, I dont have a clue about track tyres or wear but my tyres got the shreded look balled to the outside I wore the little elephants off if that helps Image dont know if this helps or not they looked worse than that before the ride home

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:59 am

the wear to those tyres look about right and they don't look to have overheated so I'd say stick with them

personally I use Pirelli SuperCorsa Pros in a track compound but don't expect them to last more than 3 track days (and possibly less if you don't use tyre warmers or you do Donnington!)

cheesie
Site Sponsor

Post by cheesie » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:17 am

thanks hans and phuk thats the answer I was after

idl1975
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by idl1975 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:56 pm

I wouldn't bother. Unless you're actually racing, the key thing is (i) do they have the appropriate grip and handling characteristics and (ii) are you overworking them. On my old '954, I had to go to diablo corsas at the rear, because the road diablos would just melt after the first 5 minutes of a session.

In these days of middle managers and stockbrokers with £20,000 track bikes, you will see a lot of expensive sticky tyres. But remember that these aren't necessary as such, they're just symptoms of a mid-life crisis. You have to be incredibly shit-hot to need the extra grip (slight handling advantages are something else, but if you aren't racing, who really cares?) on a TRX, and if you do you will already know it, because you'll be holding the front up with your knee and sliding the back out of every corner. I managed to do OK at my last couple of trackdays using a conti touring tyre on the back, so don't waste your money - book more track days instead!
-----

'04 Aprilia Tuono Fighter
'00 Scooby Sport Wagon

'76 TY250.

Trixz
Site Sponsor

Post by Trixz » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:05 am

idl1975 wrote: ...so don't waste your money - book more track days instead!
Statement of the day :wink:

Must say, if your current tyres work well, don't switch.

Greetz
Gerben
Former TRX rider ...former TRX of The Month owner June 2007 ánd May 2009... -and RC51 track bike *and crashing it* past-owner-