Tyres

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

kenmore
TRX-Enthusiast

Tyres

Post by kenmore » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:54 am

Without causing a stampede i would like to get some feedback from other owners regarding tyres.My TRX needs a new rear tyre and i was curious about other tyres as the current pilot sport has only done 6000 odd ks and is nearly clackered.The front pilot seems to be holding up well but i'm not that impressed with the rear.I ride over a wide range of conditions and have found the pilot to perform well in most areas except longevity.I look forward to your opinions as i have only owned Trixey since March 07 and this will be the first tyre change.On the last twin that i owned(Paso 906) some years ago i got 10,000K's out of the rear tyre and it was a Michelin A59X? i think and this bike was ridden under the same conditions,maybe even a bit harder because i was younger and sillyer then. So i need feedback from owners experiences with tyres because i thought that with the passing of time that tyres would perform much better than years ago and there maybe something better out there for Trixy other than the Pilot Sport 160/60/17 that she now wears.
function=form

kebab19
Site Sponsor

Post by kebab19 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:14 pm

I have Pirelli Diablo Stradas fitted to my both TRX and Bandit 1200. They are sports-touring tyres, but I have struggled to notice lower grip levels after a very enjoyable trackday.

Bandit's rear squared off after 6000 miles, not bad considering it shredded previous sports tyres in 3000 miles.

Havent had them on the TRX long enough to estimate mileage but should be similar or slightly better.

However, brace yourself for many different opinions - I feel tyres are a personal choice, somewhat like suspension.
1996 vintage now sold. 1999 FZS600 Fazer, 2006 YBR125 & 1981 RD350LC left to keep me entertained.

pwmotorsports
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by pwmotorsports » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:20 pm

allways been a fan of decent tyres as in sports tyres such as bt56 d 207 bt 14 etc but ive put some d220's on the trx as it was coming into winter and im doing 80 miles a day and have to say with these crappy roads at the moment they feel much better than the sports tyres not sure how they will compare when the weather heats up but in future going through the winter ill give this type of tyre a go

burty
Site Sponsor

Post by burty » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:41 pm

I've got Pilot Roads. Highly recommended IMHO. Good wet and dry grip and phenomenal wear. Some comparisons have found them better for every day use than the Pilot Sports, but they are less popular obviously because they don't have the word 'Sport' in the name so consequently are for slow old farts.

Pilot Road IIs are supposed to be even better.

To be perfectly honest 6000 miles out of a 'sport' biased rear tyre doesn't strike me as too bad at all really.

Kevtrx849

Post by Kevtrx849 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:47 pm

TRX's came out with Michelin Macadam 90's as standard equipment. while these weren't suited to the TRX i believe that the upgraded 100x model is a much better tyre. Not in the pilots class but a good all round tyre with longevity. Worth considering anyway.
If everything seems under control
your just not going fast enough.
( HENRY FORD )

Peter850
Site Sponsor

Post by Peter850 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:39 am

Try the Pilot power 2ct. Great grip and should last longer in the middle.
Suncoasttrx in another world.

kenmore
TRX-Enthusiast

Tyres

Post by kenmore » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:09 am

Thanks for the replies,but I thought that this topic would have yielded more info.Based on what I've read so far it sounds like the pilot road may be the tyre for me.Any more info would be much appreciated and taken into consideration before a final decission. 8)
function=form

John M
Site Sponsor

Post by John M » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:02 pm

I've got Pilot Power front/ Diablo Strada rear.
Like you Ken i was sick of piss poor wear from back tyres hence the decision to give the Pirelli a go. Not as sticky as the previous Pilot Sport at the track where it slides noticeably when it gets hot, both under power and brakes. On the road (in the dry) it is very good and looks as though it will really last, haven't experienced it in the wet. Previous to Pilot Sports I had a Bridgestone BT020 (don't know if they're still around) which i was happy with all round. Good luck.
Reintarnation : Coming back to life as a hillbilly

Quan-Time
Site Sponsor

Post by Quan-Time » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:49 am

bridgestone Battlax (BT014s i think ? someone wanna correct me if im wrong please).

Fairly good, nice road grip, still fairly firm and not soft.. Not tried in the wet as yet, but i like them more than others ive tried on white lines and pot holes (man hole covers) etc.. good feed back.

Track they are a bit goofy, sure they work well, but take AGES to heat up, because of that the PSI was a bit different from going out to comming back. I dont use tyre warmers and that would make a big difference, but it was very noticable, other tires never had this problem. They do wear very evenly which is nice..
They dont want to let the bike drop easily, but once its over, you REALLY fight to get the pig back up. Saying that im on a 60/190, which is crazy but i got a brand newy for basically nothing ;) i couldnt refuse ! im going to a 55/180 next time.. i MIGHT go to dunlop qualifiers for the track (spare wheels), but as burty stated, pilot roads have fantastic reviews, and mates LOVE em.. so if i can get a cheap set, ill def put em on.
-------------------
I dont have a sig
-------------------

arrivisto
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Tyres

Post by arrivisto » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:11 pm

I'm going to discard my Michelin Macadams soon, as they don't grip well enough or give a confident feel.
Bike magazine (Nov 2008) has done some back-to-back tests of tyres on a Yamaha FZ1. Here are the results:

Contiroad Attack ** £162
Metzeler Roadtec Z6 *** £195
Maxxis Supermaxx **** £134
Bridgestone BT-021 ***** £192
Dunlop Roadsmart ***** £196
Avon Storm ST ***** £167
Contisport Attack** £176
Avon ViperSport **** £182
Bridgestone BT-016 **** £224
Dunlop Qualifier D209 **** £182
Metzeler Sportec M3 **** £204
Pirelli Diablo Rosso ***** £224
(Prices are per pair).

Summary - Sport touring:
Winner: Avon Storm S. Not the fastest but it somehow improves the whole feel of the bike.
Highly recommended: BT-021, SuperMaxx & Dunlop RoadSmart.

Summary - SuperSport
Winner: Diablo Rosso: the confidence and feedback justifies the premium price.
Highly recommended: BT-016, Dunlop D209 & Avon Viper Sport.

Buy the magazine for full details! (NB. Michelin refused to supply a set of tyres for the test).
Also, have a look at this: http://totalmotorcycle.com/photos/tire- ... /index.htm

slow codger
Site Sponsor

Post by slow codger » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:25 pm

:D Thanks for that, Supermaxx for the price and the rating have to be worth a look

Dave E
An infiltrator from the dark side!

idl1975
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by idl1975 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:17 pm

Just to point out that the _rear_ Conti Road Attack is actually a good tyre, and I got mine for a song on e-bay. The fronts apparently are shite, hence the terrible test results. The rear road attack has good cold/wet grip on the road, an incredibly deep tread (~7mm) and didn't miss a beat on track days, despite quite a bit of poking with sticks. If you can get one cheap, pair it with your favourite front boot for economical road riding.
arrivisto wrote:I'm going to discard my Michelin Macadams soon, as they don't grip well enough or give a confident feel.
Bike magazine (Nov 2008) has done some back-to-back tests of tyres on a Yamaha FZ1. Here are the results:

Contiroad Attack ** £162
Metzeler Roadtec Z6 *** £195
Maxxis Supermaxx **** £134
Bridgestone BT-021 ***** £192
Dunlop Roadsmart ***** £196
Avon Storm ST ***** £167
Contisport Attack** £176
Avon ViperSport **** £182
Bridgestone BT-016 **** £224
Dunlop Qualifier D209 **** £182
Metzeler Sportec M3 **** £204
Pirelli Diablo Rosso ***** £224
(Prices are per pair).

Summary - Sport touring:
Winner: Avon Storm S. Not the fastest but it somehow improves the whole feel of the bike.
Highly recommended: BT-021, SuperMaxx & Dunlop RoadSmart.

Summary - SuperSport
Winner: Diablo Rosso: the confidence and feedback justifies the premium price.
Highly recommended: BT-016, Dunlop D209 & Avon Viper Sport.

Buy the magazine for full details! (NB. Michelin refused to supply a set of tyres for the test).
Also, have a look at this: http://totalmotorcycle.com/photos/tire- ... /index.htm
-----

'04 Aprilia Tuono Fighter
'00 Scooby Sport Wagon

'76 TY250.

TonyDevil
Site Sponsor

Post by TonyDevil » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:44 pm

pilot road 2s are fantastic
excellent wet weather grip and life expectency (not 2 things normally found together)
i get approx 6000miles out of a set, pretty much all hard riding
i regularly scrape me pegs in the wet with them

not cheap tho, approx £220 for a set
TRX850 1997 - sunny day twisty toy
TDM900 2003 - commuting tool
TDM850 mk1 - scratching & touring
Z750 hardtail - project
gone but not forgotten : - XTZ750, GS500, GS125

Greg
Site Sponsor

Post by Greg » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:52 pm

Scraping pegs in the wet..? I didn't realise God rode a TRX ..!

I nearly threw mine down the road today on a greasy roundabout when the front 014 decided it was going on strike... my arse went (*) for a moment...

G
:motard:
Brake cleaner makes me smile...

idl1975
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by idl1975 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:54 pm

They must be on his Harley! :wink:
Greg wrote:Scraping pegs in the wet..? I didn't realise God rode a TRX ..!

I nearly threw mine down the road today on a greasy roundabout when the front 014 decided it was going on strike... my arse went (*) for a moment...

G
-----

'04 Aprilia Tuono Fighter
'00 Scooby Sport Wagon

'76 TY250.