Road debris.........new tyre........yet again :-(

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Wombat
Forum Marsupial

Road debris.........new tyre........yet again :-(

Post by Wombat » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:51 am

Second time in 3 years I've had to get rid of a half worn tyre with still some life in it, due to road debris. Last time in Oct '05 went thru a front and a rear within a month due to broken glass. This time its metal shrapnel, though I have got 8 months outta this rear, trouble is I could of got another 6 months out of it if it didn't happen :cry: Wheel's off and off to the bikeshop tomorrow.

On another tack, is there a metric castellated nut that will fit the rear axle bolt on the TRX. Got a new gen Yamaha nut on order but this is the second one I've ordered in 5 years. Why didn't they design it with a castellated nut and split pin? Would've saved a lot of trouble.

Bob

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:42 am

Bob

why the need for a new nut?

Quan-Time
Site Sponsor

Post by Quan-Time » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:55 am

yup.. the stock nut is shit imo... whats the YZF one compare like ?

I use a R1 rear wheel, so its completely different..

And yes, road debris IS annoying.. but kids with knives are worse.. I know someone who had his car (skyline R32) scratched on EVERY panel, and someone who got his tyre slit..

GG kids with nothing to do..
-------------------
I dont have a sig
-------------------

Max
Janitor

Post by Max » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:45 am

I'm always trying to get a nut. :D

I know what you mean about the debris thing. I've had to chuck several brand new slicks at the track over the years because some idiot couldn't be bothered to pick up his lockwire trimmings. :evil:

The last one was my own fault, a Pirelli Super Corsa 180 rear that had less than 300kms on it ruined by a big wood screw left over from a garage project (my own)... :oops:
Max

(TaZ, tz250w)

Wombat
Forum Marsupial

Post by Wombat » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:50 am

New Pilot Power 160 replaced this morning. :D Can't go out to scrub it in as it is raining ( as it has been all week) and it's a public holiday to boot (thanks to George Dubya being in town).

Still waiting for the axle bolt nut to come in, so I've redone the old one up using threadlock. Got one of the old ones, so might go to an engineering shop and see if they have one in similar dimensions in nyloc.

Bob

youngy

Post by youngy » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:02 am

As Phuk said, Why do you need a new nut?

fantic125
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by fantic125 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:09 am

It's to do with the Aussie sun.
Continual problem down here. The higher UV rays degrade the anodised surface of the bolts and turn them soft.
Something not experienced in the Northen Hemisphere....?
:D
Wombat - take the axle bolt to someone like Universal Fasteneners - they should be able to help.

Had a new Pilot Road 2 fitted to the front this afternoon (120/60 ZR17). $182.00 AUD Can't try it out tomorrow - wife's birthday :cry:
See you Sunday at Strath!!! :twisted:
These are my principles and if you don't like them...... I have others.

Wombat
Forum Marsupial

Post by Wombat » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:51 am

To our Northern Hemisphere friends, 30 deg C aint a heat wave......that's comfortable, 40+ is a heatwave!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

Bob

Max
Janitor

Post by Max » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:28 pm

No, it's because the Brits are limp wristed and can't turn a nut. Wasn't there one here a while ago with a linkage bolt half backed out? :wink:

In a pinch, a castle nut from an old CB750K1~ will fit. I shit you not. And in total it has a lot more threads than that POS Yamaha stuck on there.
Max

(TaZ, tz250w)

youngy

Post by youngy » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:42 pm

Nope - still don't get it.

Max
Janitor

Post by Max » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:48 pm

I've proved my point. :lol:
Max

(TaZ, tz250w)

youngy

Post by youngy » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:51 pm

Oh, you had one?

Max
Janitor

Post by Max » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:02 pm

I used to, it's not as "sharp" as it used to be but... Why? Do you want to see it? :shock:

Seriously though, after 11ty twists, the stock axle nut has a tendancy to give out and moosh its threads into the shaft. I've gone through a couple and consider it an expendable item. Sorta like a gasket that you can only glue up so many times.
Max

(TaZ, tz250w)

youngy

Post by youngy » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:09 pm

Yes agreed.

From the post it seemed that this was being changed as a matter of course, which, to me, makes no sense.

If you know the history of the components, then it is quite reasonable to establish a service life or interval, but that did not appear to be what was being said.

I am interested to know why this seems to be an issue for our Antipodean cousins, as I have never heard tell of so many people being that keen to change an axle nut when the wheel is removed and refitted.

Is it perceived to be an issue that over here we don't think we have?

I have no desire to view either your pointy or blunt instrument, thank you.

earywig
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by earywig » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:11 pm

Continual problem down here. The higher UV rays degrade the anodised surface of the bolts and turn them soft.
Apologies to all but this last statement sounds like bollo to me - I've had a word with my company's metallurgist who has a doctorate on the subject. He says it's the first time that he's aware that UV can degrade metal. Also, since when can you anodise a steel nut? :? - which is what you should be using. The genuine Yamaha item has a shakeproof shim plate as part of its construction.