Wheel Weights

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

devlin
Site Sponsor

Wheel Weights

Post by devlin » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:30 am

Does any body have an accurate number for the weight of the stock wheels on the TRX? Looking at a couple of possible upgrades but want to make sure it is worth it first.
"Racing is life, everything else is just waiting" - Steve McQueen
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:46 am

No accurate figure but I can tell you that the pair (with wheels) weigh over 20kg

Whereas I fully understand the benefits of lightweight wheels on the TRX, I cannot justify the expense and, even if I could, don't think that the difference is good value for money.

Any particular reason you want to do it?

devlin
Site Sponsor

Post by devlin » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:33 am

I come from a cycling background. Wheel weight, next to aerodynamics, is the biggest factor in choosing wheels. I was trying to ascertain first whether there is an overall weight advantage in going to a spoked wheel setup and then whether there is an actual advantage of where weight matters the most, at the rim. There are Excel rims available in the stock TRX sizes as well as light double butted spokes from Alpina. The hub is least important in the equation as it is close to the center band it is also the hardest to find in a road size. Might have to make my own. Lots of things to consider and thought I would start by finding out the weight of the bare TRX rims before I start. I also love the look of them and to me are quite distinctive compared to the very generic cast forged rims we get on most bikes.
"Racing is life, everything else is just waiting" - Steve McQueen
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.