Front wheel removal

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Mikerhayward
TRX-Enthusiast

Front wheel removal

Post by Mikerhayward » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:10 pm

Hi All, been off for a while. I need to change tyres on my aging TRX. No worries on all this but can someone advise on the best way to raise the front off the bike. Don't want to damage exhaust by jacking under pipes. Or is this ok. Thanks Mick

pbear62
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Front wheel removal

Post by pbear62 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:32 pm

It sounds like a bit of messing around but this is what I do:

Put the bike on the rear race-stand with a length of 4" x 2" wood under the front wheel (remember to loosen the forkleg pinchbolt, axle & caliper bolts at this point while the bike is still steady!)

I use a couple of tie-down straps passed under the top triple clamp & then hooked up to the steel roof truss of my garage/workshop.

Lift the front of the bike slightly with the tie-downs & remove the piece of wood - this then has the wheel about 2-1/2" off the ground which is plenty of room for removing the wheel.

Once I have the wheel out I refit the axle & support it with a car axle-stand - just to take the weight off the tie-down straps.

Once you have the wheel ready to go back in - place it between the forklegs then slide the piece of wood back under the wheel which saves you having to support it while you feed the axle back in.

Job done!
Once you've had black - you'll never go back!

Bigamy is when you have one wife too many - Monogamy is the same!

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by dicky » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:34 pm

I know its not the right way, but I use a jack and a block of wood either under the headers or between the headers on push on the sump [-X
dicky
OOOSDC #5

HolerTogni
Site Sponsor

Post by HolerTogni » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:24 pm

Hi folks!

There ate not only rear race stands available but also ones for the front. :shock:

But beware: one fork leg is longer than the other, on the original fork that is.
So when using (also) a front race stand, a stable shim, e.g. a piece of wood, comes in handy for compensating the difference in length.

But the downpipes are strong enough as Dicky and some other people (including me) know. :roll:

Fully equipped greets from Munich!
Nothing against four cylinders:
TRX 850 & Racetrack-TRiXie :twisted: 8)