my trx project

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

mad73
TRX-Enthusiast

my trx project

Post by mad73 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:04 pm

thought id stick up some pics of my project , will be using this more or less as is for now until my yzf project is finished then this will come off the road for a full strip and rebuild , starting with the forks , got some yzf750 forks ,cut the stem out my self and had it pressed in today so I thought id bolt it on , didn't no it would hit ( I take it I have to cut the stop off )Image
also my blue spots don't fit ( do I have to use spacers or can I cut into the forks to make them fit )Image
gona nick the rest of the parts I need from my yzf750 ie front wheel and mudguard until I get the money to replace them , will also be doing rear end yzf as well but that wont be for a while yet , might stick a r6 tail on (03) type as I have 1 sitting around , will prob go the streetfighter look not sure yet
I will stick more pics up as I do bits

ricr378
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: my trx project

Post by ricr378 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:42 am

here is mine. I used a grinder very carefully for the first bit on the forks and then finished off with a hand file. Just take your time and keep checking it all lines up OK. Good luck.

Imageimg]

mad73
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by mad73 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:45 am

That's nice and neat bet mine don't come out like that Cheers m8 for pics very helpful will have a go today if not raining

mad73
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by mad73 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:47 pm

finished the front end today took for a quick ride round the block as it has no mot or tax , all was good ,
think I need a new front tyre Image
next on the list to do is end cans I have some carbon cans there a little beaten up so gona chop them need to take about 5 to 6 inches off , aint got a clue who there made by , also 1 of the link pipes is dented in a few places ( can these dents be pulled out ?) not to worried as these only cost me 40 quid

alextrx850
Site Sponsor

Post by alextrx850 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:33 pm

Mad73, be sure the blue spots are not touching the fork cut out anywhere as you will have feedback through the brake lever.
A one millimetre gap maybe....looks good tho,
Reminds me of my purple rim from way back...a rattle can of quick dry paint would be a short time fix.

The photo above with the blue spots in the silver adjustable forks would be about right for distancing.
Try and find a 14mm master (if you don't already have one) ..better feel from the blues.

mad73
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by mad73 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:11 pm

I have gap round them so all should be good . Just gona leave the wheel not to worried how it looks as the whole thing will get striped next year for rebuild powder coat frame pos engine rebuild with big bore pistons will be on the look out for carbs want it to look brand new when finished
Mick

mad73
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by mad73 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:11 pm

Little update was gona do the exhaust cans next but just bagged a yzf swingarm for 40 quid free post as well so swinger is next on the list . From wot I've read it's just a straight bolt in job and flip the rear trx sprocket on the yzf wheel . Don't think my trx sprocket is dished sure it's flat so where would I get a dished sprocket from
Thanks

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Post by trixynut » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:22 pm

A dished sprocket is a standard Yamaha one, as opposed to aftermarket ones like renthal etc.
But the bigger 180 yzf rear has a larger circumference to the 160 so you may want to mess around with the number of teeth.
Plenty of info on here if you search.

mad73
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by mad73 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:01 pm

little update got the swinger fitted over the weekend just need to sort the rear brake out as it was binding and sort the chain as well , gona drop 1 tooth on the front so have to buy 1 of them ,
yzf swinger in
exhaust is quit close didn't think it would be that close
all done more or less sorry for the bad pics had dust on the lens

mad73
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by mad73 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:03 pm

forgot this pic

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tarwetijger » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:09 pm

The exhaust and swingarm are not going to work like this. With vibrations and the swingarm moving up and down, these will touch and scratch for sure! Can't you move/twist the exhaust a little outwards?

mad73
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by mad73 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:19 pm

Changing end cans soon so will have a little play I'm not riding at the minute as no tax or mot

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Post by Con Rod » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:00 am

mad73 wrote:Little update was gona do the exhaust cans next but just bagged a yzf swingarm for 40 quid free post as well so swinger is next on the list . From wot I've read it's just a straight bolt in job and flip the rear trx sprocket on the yzf wheel . Don't think my trx sprocket is dished sure it's flat so where would I get a dished sprocket from
Thanks

It is not a straight swap, I mentioned this somewhere before, but you need to move both spacers at the swing are pivot to the left side

This moves the swing arm 5mm right

Then you need to mill 5mm off of the rear calliper carrier and add a 5mm spacer to the left side.

This will move the wheel a further 5mm right

If you don't do this you front and rear wheel will not be correctly aligned.

see here:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=7466
Paul

mad73
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by mad73 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:38 pm

Not saying your wrong or any thing like that as I alway welcome advice but I was under the impression that I was a straight swap over and flip the rear trx sprocket on the yzf wheel that's wot I've read on this forum but if that is wot I have to do then thank you for letting me no
Mick

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Post by Con Rod » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:50 pm

mad73 wrote:Not saying your wrong or any thing like that as I alway welcome advice but I was under the impression that I was a straight swap over and flip the rear trx sprocket on the yzf wheel that's wot I've read on this forum but if that is wot I have to do then thank you for letting me no
Mick

yep I originally fitted it straight in based on the post on the forum and then found the wheel alignment was out

I suggest you measure the alignment.

You may find the front wheel and rear wheel are 10mm out of aligment
Paul