Big Inlet and Exhaust Valves are Here (at last)

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

sanddune51
Site Sponsor

Big Inlet and Exhaust Valves are Here (at last)

Post by sanddune51 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:28 pm

Yep,am just back from Cuba and have just been and collected a big box of valves from a neighbour who had kindly signed for them fom the courier.

I just tried to upload photos using photobucket to post here but the site seems to be undergoing maintenance. As soon as its back up I'll post the photos in this topic for you to see. It took me ages to lay them out all neatly to photograph. They do look the buisness though :D

I'll make enquiries with my bank to find out if there is a cheaper way for you to pay the balance other than paypal but I can't guarantee anything concrete at the moment. For those in the U.K., that have ordered, I'm quite happy to accept a cheque drawn on a U.K. bank but will obviously have to wait for it to clear before I post the valves.

I know it seems to have been a long while for all of this to get this far. Thankyou to everyone for their patience and faith. I hope it hasn't been too sorely tested.

I'm sure photobucket will be back up very soon. I hope so as it took me ages to make use of it's simplest features :oops:

Mark

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Big Inlet and Exhaust Valves are Here (at last)

Post by Tarwetijger » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:05 pm

Ah, finally! It took aaaaages :wink: Just kidding, no worries mate.
Although I'm curious for the pictures, because I reckon you have about 100 valves now? :?:
Now you have to pay attention, so you don't send like 10 exhaust valves to one person, and 10 middle-inlets to another person. :!: :P

sanddune51
Site Sponsor

Post by sanddune51 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:42 pm

You're so right, I'm going to have measure and verify the length and diameter of every damn valve I send out so it might take a little time :lol:

Some of the new oversize valves

Five std valves (left) and five new oversize valves (right)

Std inlet v oversize (top) with std exhaust v oversize exhaust (below)

Sorry the last photo was blurry,the camera doesn't seem to want to focus :( . I'll try and bring my vernier caliper home from work tomorrow so I can show more clearly that the new valves are 1mm oversize. I never use it home,much prefer the feel and accuracy of a micrometer :)

If you'd like to pm me your delivery addresses, I can make a start on safely packaging up and addressing your valve sets for shipping off to you.

Mark

Ps. You should all have received my home address when I confimed your order.

sanddune51
Site Sponsor

Post by sanddune51 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:13 pm

Std Valves compared to Big Valves sat in the cylinder head that I'm in the process of modifying. Big valves are still sitting high at the moment as I haven't cut the seats yet.

Mark

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:05 pm

The compression ratio will be up a bit with the flat surfaced valves - but do you think it will affect the swirl effect much?
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:09 pm

Just curious, IIRC the middle valve is another art number when ordering from OEM motorparts. These all look the same?

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tarwetijger » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:21 pm

Killerwhale wrote:Just curious, IIRC the middle valve is another art number when ordering from OEM motorparts. These all look the same?
The middle valve has a shorter stem. If I remember well, Sanddune mentioned this also earlier.
Otherwise, we have a problem! :lol:

sanddune51
Site Sponsor

Post by sanddune51 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:44 pm

Tarwetijger wrote:
Killerwhale wrote:Just curious, IIRC the middle valve is another art number when ordering from OEM motorparts. These all look the same?
The middle valve has a shorter stem. If I remember well, Sanddune mentioned this also earlier.
Otherwise, we have a problem! :lol:
Is the correct answer :lol: We have no problems :lol:

Mark

sanddune51
Site Sponsor

Post by sanddune51 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:23 pm

dandywarhol wrote:The compression ratio will be up a bit with the flat surfaced valves - but do you think it will affect the swirl effect much?
Swirl is primarily controlled by inlet port profile,bias and port bowl profile. Swirl can, in fact be measured. As I have absolutely zero facility to do this (in common with 99% of professional tuners),I'm unable to answer your question.I have never ever heard of valve face influencing swirl. 5 valve engines inherently have much less swirl than 2 valvers. We can only play with the cards we're dealt.

The compression ratio will be as high as I can safely make it. If anyone has a bit going spare,can they let me have it please,I'm going to be hard pushed to find all I'll need :lol:. Only calculation,measurement,a couple of "dry builds",machining and some more measurements will give me the answers.

Mark.

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:59 pm

Just wondering as many manufacturers use piston bowl shape to increase swirl in the cylinder - the depression in the stock valve may be similar - I've really no idea :|
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............

coxylaad
Site Sponsor

Post by coxylaad » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:27 am

question - does the TDM 900 share the same valves as the 850?
:)

sanddune51
Site Sponsor

Post by sanddune51 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:15 am

Different last 2 numbers (ie *******- XX) s I recall,but yes they use the same valves.

Mark.

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tarwetijger » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:26 am

With these valves I have to alter the cilinderhead, so I will look into flowing the head now that I'm on it.
Another thing on my wishlist are different cams. And I think now is a good time. :P
I don't know which ones are still available. Any suggestions?
But I was wondering. If "race" cams use a higher lift than the standard ones, don't you risk that the bigger valves get slightly lower in the cilinders and hit the pistons??

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:27 am

Tarwetijger wrote:With these valves I have to alter the cilinderhead, so I will look into flowing the head now that I'm on it.
Another thing on my wishlist are different cams. And I think now is a good time. :P
I don't know which ones are still available. Any suggestions?
But I was wondering. If "race" cams use a higher lift than the standard ones, don't you risk that the bigger valves get slightly lower in the cilinders and hit the pistons??
The valves are closed when the pistons are at the top Tarwetijger

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tarwetijger » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:24 am

dandywarhol wrote: The valves are closed when the pistons are at the top Tarwetijger
I know they should be, but are you sure there is no risk valves and piston getting close together?
Like not on TDC but on its way and very close to TDC?