USD Fork disassembly?

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Greg
Site Sponsor

USD Fork disassembly?

Post by Greg » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:54 am

So - anyone done a set of R1 forks?? I've just installed a set and want to change the oil. Conventional forks - pah! USD ..woooo never done those!

Any hints ?? oil levels/volumes etc., special tools required, unexpected spring release sending fork-caps over to next door.. that kind of thing?

TIA

G

Waz
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Waz » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:03 am

Greg,
I was waiting for someone to answer your post, but seeing as no one has atm, I'll try and answer the best I can,

1) R1 USD Forks are "Cartridge" Type. ie: The spring and damper unit are one piece (sort of). When you unscrew the Fork Cap, the spring won't shoot the Fork cap across the room, it will only "pop up" a few cm/inches.

2) To correctly measure the Fork oil height, it is best that the forks are removed from the bike (you can do it with the forks attached but you will need to empty the old fork oil by removing the rebound screw at the bottom of the forks and take an average of the height due to the level being uneven).

3) Normally 5 wt oil is used and 120mm- 140mm for oil height (fork collapsed with spring out) however I would look up the spec's for the R1 for this info)

4) Now, how to do it

a) Support the bike so the front wheel is off the ground (don't do it by using the forks, either use the frame or engine)

b) If removing the forks, loosen the Fork cap first before you loosen the pinch bolts on the trees.

1b) If not removing the forks, undo the rebound screw at the bottom of the forks and the fork caps and allow the oil to drain

c) Remove the spring by undoing the locknut on the damper rod that screws into the fork cap (you may have to compress the spring a little so the preload spacer can be moved down to access the locknut. Once the locknut has been loosened, unscrew the fork cap SLOWLY, the spring will then follow

d) If the forks are removed, tip the forks upside down and allow the old oil to drain out.

e) Once the oil has drained out (by either method) refill with the appropriate oil at the height you want. Then pump the forks a few times and re-check the level (forks collapsed, spring out), refill as required. Repeat until there is no change in level after pumping.

f) Refit everything in the reverse.]

Hope this helps.
Once a TRX lover, always a TRX lover.

Greg
Site Sponsor

Post by Greg » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:24 am

Waz - Woolybillalongalaloo must have lost their Star Player somewhere!

Cheers Matey ....

Greg