R1 front end... help....

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

raffo7
TRX-Enthusiast

R1 front end... help....

Post by raffo7 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:42 pm

i have r1 usd froks that redy to fit straight into my trx,just wondering which is best option to take wid rest of parts now,i.e,wheel,speedo etc
your help be much appreciated

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: R1 front end... help....

Post by Mincehead » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:04 pm

Best to use ALL R1 parts (wheel, spindle etc) if you intend to use an electronic speedometer but a Thunderace wheel if you want to keep the mechanical speedo. The R1 discs are the same as those on the Thunderace and the R1 spindle can be used.
A TRX stem built up with weld and re-machined to fit the R1 yokes is the cheapest option. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

raffo7
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by raffo7 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:29 pm

thanks for reply mate, just wondering if use thunderace wheel would i have to mess around wid then forks then tho??
and with the electronic speedo would any r1 speedo work?
and when you say the hole front of a r1 does that mean clip ons etc
many thanks

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:42 pm

If you want to use the mechanical speedo you`ll need to have material removed from inside the left hand (if sat on the bike) fork leg to allow the speedo drive to fit. Remebering of course to measure up carefully to centralise the wheel.
Use the forum`s SEARCH facility it`s all been done before and there`s plenty of dimensions and guidance on many threads. ;)
As for electronic speedo?
Whatever you like really, as a magnetic disc bolt passing a hall sensor creates a pulse then a cable takes the signal onto whatever electronic speedo you want to fit, Koso (brand) being most folks favourite.
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

raffo7
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by raffo7 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:56 pm

ok mate thanks agen, i will do but hav been looking most ov the day lol, i no parts ov it just few things un sure on.
so any koso speedo will work or as to be r1 one??
so basically r1 forks
wheel
speedo
spindle
discs and thts it

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:09 pm

Koso is an aftermarket brand:

http://digitalspeedos.co.uk/

The owner of that site is a member here and will give discounts to other members when asked. :wink:
Yes, easiest way for you to go is ALL R1 kit, but you`ll have to have a TRX stem modified to fit into the R1 bottom yoke or have a one off special made up to suit the R1 yoke with TRX spec threads and dimensions.
You can also drill the R1 top yoke for risers if you wish.
I `think` the R1 ignition switch can be used but it`s not a plug and play, not certain of this but someone will be along to confirm either way.
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

raffo7
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by raffo7 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:11 pm

ok thanks agen mate. forks im getting say there redy to fit straight onto the trx850 headstock... would i have to messs wid trx stem still.

andyaber
Site Sponsor

Post by andyaber » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:46 pm

Hi raffo

Are you watching the set on ebay?

They say the stem conversion is done so SHOULD be ok for straight swap onto trx.

If you are lucky enough to win them, find out the model year and use gear such as wheel, discs calipers etc from same model.

You'll have to change clip ons as forks are different size to trx.

Standard r1 speedo is not driven from front wheel so you'll have to use an after market one or perform mod outlined by Mincehead.

Cheers, Andy.

raffo7
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by raffo7 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:05 pm

hi andy.

funnily enuff i am ive come to an agreement wid him, but just wantd find all bits out first.
thanks for reply, any r1 clip ons ok???
and finkin ov the koso as mincehead sed look good for speedo,
and is the r1 5 spike wheel ok or hav to be 3 spoke r1 wheel

andyaber
Site Sponsor

Post by andyaber » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:39 pm

Hi Raffo

Without specific knowledge, I would say stick to the same model or year for parts to keep it simple.

Here's mine with LSL riser clip ons and Koso speedo.

Cheers, Andy.

raffo7
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by raffo7 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:53 pm

were did you get clip ons??

oh and is that standard trx ignition or do u need r1

andyaber
Site Sponsor

Post by andyaber » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:32 pm

Std ignition, steering lock now locks with wheel pointing straight ahead. Bit vague on details as was already fitted when I bought it.

Clip ons were off ebay.

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:27 am

raffo7 wrote:hi andy.

funnily enuff i am ive come to an agreement wid him, but just wantd find all bits out first.
thanks for reply, any r1 clip ons ok???
and finkin ov the koso as mincehead sed look good for speedo,
and is the r1 5 spike wheel ok or hav to be 3 spoke r1 wheel
Just another thought as i use the standard TRX wheel and spindle/speedo. A pro should be able to machine up everything you need before lunch!

raffo7
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by raffo7 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:04 am

thanks andy.

and killer whale were cud i get that done

Kayla
Site Sponsor

Post by Kayla » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:09 am

Killerwhale wrote: A pro should be able to machine up everything you need before lunch!
We did... :lol:

I'll reply here instead of to the email you sent us so it's searchable by everyone :D

Ideally you need to use all of the relevant year R1 parts to keep it straighforward, like others have said. You can probably mix and match but as there are loads of possibilities (R1/R6/YZF750/Thunderace/standard TRX front wheels) you need to gather the basics together.

You will need at least-

the R1 forks and yokes, ready to fit to your TRX frame (you already have this)
a wheel
a spindle
some discs to fit the wheel you're using
some brake calipers to fit the R1 forks (standard TRX will work ok)
some 50mm clip-ons or flat bars and bolt on risers if you're going down that route

Now, if you choose to use the standard TRX wheel, discs and spindle you will need to make a few spacers, a split bush for the right hand fork leg and a (ideally threaded either M16 x 1.5 internal and a press fit into the fork lower or M18 x 1.5 external and threaded in from the inside of the fork lower) bush for the left fork leg to reduce the diameter down from 22mm to 17mm. You will also need to either space the discs out by 3mm or the calipers in by 3mm. We used a TRX wheel, spindle, discs and R1 calipers in Thunderace forks on one of the TRXs we've done, with the left side spindle bush made to thread into the fork leg, then we tapped the TRX spindle to take an M10 x 1.25 bolt to keep everything tight.

You don't need to use the R1 speedo if you don't want to. You can use a Koso/Vapor/AN Other 'universal' speedo or just get a bicycle speedo and bugger the rest of the stuff (tacho, idiot lights etc.)

That's about as far as you can go without actually having the parts to hand and trying to make stuff fit. I'd suggest taking the front end of your bike apart once you get the R1 forks and seeing what you've got and what you need. It's cheaper to use the TRX stuff unless you get a good deal on a complete front end.

Good luck :D

Just because you're breathing, it doesn't mean you're alive.