Big Inlet and Exhaust Valves (+1mm)

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Big Inlet and Exhaust Valves (+1mm)

Post by Mincehead » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:34 am

I could only post a picture of a TRX less both wheels, forks, tank, carbs and seats. Sat on two axle stands through the front crankcase lugs and a paddock stand under the swingarm.
Hardly interesting stuff pal! :wink:
If there`s enough interest and Jack Daniels bottles bought I could be persuaded though. :lol:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:32 pm

sure you don't want me to post a pic of myself naked with a few stratigicly placed indicators and valves too... could be Mr November for the calender :lol: :lol:
laughter is the best medicine

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:34 pm

I can guess where a good `poppet valve` might work pretty well cobba. :wink:
HELL YEA, go for it bloke, let`s see what you can do with valves and indicators. :lol:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:59 pm

You REALLY mean it will take 9 weeks to make the valves?
My mech is virtually free for other stuff in december but after the new year the 2013 superbikes keep pouring into his shop for modifications.
Anything we can do here, maybe i can get the first set early??

cheers
Mattias
sanddune51 wrote:After a flurry of interest, I think everyone who wants a set has put their hand up by now. I for one am itching to get on and get these valves fitted and the valve clearances shimmed up,and the cams in and ready to go.

With that in mind I propose to place the order for our valves on Mon 19 November. We should have our valves around 9 weeks later :D.

I'll be contacting you all by private message in the next few days.

Mark.

sanddune51
Site Sponsor

Post by sanddune51 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:21 am

KW,

Yes, 9 weeks is the lead time I have been quoted from the outset. The company are not going to drop everything for us and we'll not be able to jump the queue. :shock:

I've tried to be open and honest with everybody regarding the lead time for what is a high quality engine component manufactured to the highest standards.I'm sure most people have accepted this.

If you prepare your head yourself as I've done then you'll be ahead of the game and will only need to have the seats cut when your valves arrive in Feb :lol:

Mark.

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:41 am

sanddune51 wrote:KW,

Yes, 9 weeks is the lead time I have been quoted from the outset. The company are not going to drop everything for us and we'll not be able to jump the queue. :shock:

I've tried to be open and honest with everybody regarding the lead time for what is a high quality engine component manufactured to the highest standards.I'm sure most people have accepted this.

If you prepare your head yourself as I've done then you'll be ahead of the game and will only need to have the seats cut when your valves arrive in Feb :lol:

Mark.
9 week is JAN! 8)
I´ve counted!

sanddune51
Site Sponsor

Post by sanddune51 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:03 pm

Yep, Mon 21st of Jan the valves should have been delivered to me.Then of course I'll need to collect the balance owing, pack them up and post them all around the world (but mostly to Australia :lol:).

Mark.

johno440
Site Sponsor

Post by johno440 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:21 am

Hi Mark,

Any update on this? Are you still on track to receive them 21st Jan?

Cheers,
John

sanddune51
Site Sponsor

Post by sanddune51 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:59 pm

I spoke to the manufacturing company 2 days ago and asked for a progress update. I was told the valves are on course for completion in around 2 weeks.

I'll of course let everyone know when I have the valves and will post up photos here as promised.

To all those who've ordered,your patience thus far is greatly appreciated :)

Mark.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:18 pm

And an extra special thanks to you Mark for putting all this together.. =D> I'm sure all your good deeds will not go unrewarded.. What goes around comes around... Thanks again for lookin after the troops in the trenches
laughter is the best medicine

fung
Site Sponsor

Post by fung » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:45 pm

=D> =D> + 1 :)
Hear ! hear !
Cheers
Fung
:rr:
I WOULD RATHER WEAR OUT THAN RUST

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tarwetijger » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:26 am

Any news?
sanddune51 wrote:I spoke to the manufacturing company 2 days ago and asked for a progress update. I was told the valves are on course for completion in around 2 weeks.

I'll of course let everyone know when I have the valves and will post up photos here as promised.

To all those who've ordered,your patience thus far is greatly appreciated :)

Mark.
17 jan. + 2 wks = today! :twisted:

sanddune51
Site Sponsor

Post by sanddune51 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:03 pm

O.k.,I know you're all getting twitchy waiting for your valves. Out of interest, has anyone apart from me actually prepped a big valve head casting ready to drop these valves into yet? If you have,post up a photo :) .

I have spoken to the company this morning. As you know,there are 3 different sizes of valves (for manufacturing purposes) exhausts,outer inlets and centre inlets(centre inlets are shorter). Two types are completed and ready for dispatch and the last type will be ready for dispatch to me next week.

But..... next week coincides with my departure on holiday to Cuba (my first ever long haul flight :shock: ). So I won't be able to post out valves until my return. I'm sorry if this will inconvenience some of you :( ,but it can't be helped.

To amuse ourselves in the meantime,perhaps we could start making estimations (guesses :lol: ) at the sort of power and torque outputs that might be achieved using bigger valves,big bore and 41mm Flatslides and a Kent cam profile.
But heres the difference. I'm really interested in producing a torquey beast,not a revver. So I'd like to know what you think the output may be at 5225rpm. This is the point at which the torque and power intersect each other on the graph,and so will both be the same (using imperial units).I believe this is a better measure of how well a motor has been modified than quoting outright maximum horsepower.I just love the sort of torque that fires me out of the apex and on to the next corner.This sort of drive is so much more accessible than 100 bhp @ nearly 9000 rpm.

I'll have a stab at 65 ft-lb and 65 bhp as I'm an optimist :)
To put that into perspective my standard Trx recently dyno'd at just shy of 56 ft-lb and 56 bhp at 5225rpm.So an uplift to 65 is an improvement of 16%. Should be achieveable....he says with fingers crossed

I know "dandywarhol" has an especially torquey motor I hope he can tell us what his is doing at 5225.

Mark.

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:38 pm

I have a dip in torque from 4400-5400 (82 - 75Nm) and then it shoots up again. HP @ 5200 about 55
I do think a powercan/powerbomb setup on the akrapovic would help this quite a bit.

Bought new rings for the 900 wiseco´s and while mech is in there he will skim head a bit to get up to the same compression ratings as JE 878´s. Maybe even go 12:1

...but it´s all the % as mech´s new dyno shows 6% less than the one i started on....

sanddune51
Site Sponsor

Post by sanddune51 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:52 pm

Thats interesting....

82Nm of torque = 60.5 ft-lbs which is very very good for 4400 rpm :) .Mine is only 51 ft-lbs at 4400 as standard,so you're over 18% up.Before you all shout at me,yes,I know we comparing different dynos,but heck,18% is way beyond the realms of plus or minus 2 or 3 per cent dyno disparity.

75Nm of torque = 55.3 ft-lbs. This shows that the mathematics behind the 5225rpm therem holds up.
You've around 55.3 ft-lbs torque and 55.3 bhp at 5225 rpm.

Thanks for posting your numbers.I hope you're able to fill in your torque depression at those revs.

Maybe I'm being way optimistic for my home built motor.

Mark.