Splitting chain for YZF750 swingarm? and gearing questions

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

PhatVR6

Splitting chain for YZF750 swingarm? and gearing questions

Post by PhatVR6 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:53 pm

Forgive my ignorance, first and only bike!

How do I get the chain through the over brace on the YZF750 swingarm?

I guess I need to rmove a rivet or 2 to split it and then re join it again??

is this possible? or do I need a new chain?

Got a 17T front sprocket and a 41T rear, will this make my gearing really low? used to have a 39T on the back, was going to go to a 17T on the front only to find it already had one!

Max
Janitor

Post by Max » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:43 am

Yes, you need to split the chain but I don't recommend it unless it's 'new'. I'd go for a new one.

As for the gearing, it will lower a tad. I think 17/41 is what the import models came with stock (domestic for me...). You might like that better around town.
Max

(TaZ, tz250w)

burty
Site Sponsor

Re: Splitting chain for YZF750 swingarm? and gearing questio

Post by burty » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:00 am

PhatVR6 wrote:Forgive my ignorance, first and only bike!

How do I get the chain through the over brace on the YZF750 swingarm?

I guess I need to rmove a rivet or 2 to split it and then re join it again??

is this possible? or do I need a new chain?

Got a 17T front sprocket and a 41T rear, will this make my gearing really low? used to have a 39T on the back, was going to go to a 17T on the front only to find it already had one!
Chains come in essentially two variants - continuous (normally OEM only), and split which come with a 'soft' rivet which you put in when you fit the chain. you can normally find the soft rivet if you look. There's plenty of 'fitting motorcycle chain' web sites but this has a couple of good pictures: http://lostbiro.com/blog/?p=308

Grind the heads of the soft rivet off, then the chain will separate. You'll then need a new soft rivet, for the chain. A new chain will set you back £100, but will probably be worthwhile, particularly if you are fitting new sprockets anyway.

17/41 is slightly higher gearing than 16/39 which is what I run. It may be a good compromise, certainly not too low IMHO, but it depends what you want out of the bike. If in doubt purchase a few sprockets maybe a 39 rear and try different variations.

PhatVR6

Post by PhatVR6 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:00 am

Thanks

Just emailed B&C Express to see what they can recommend for me.

WIll check my receipts, I think the chains was replaced just before I got the bike.

burty
Site Sponsor

Post by burty » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:41 am

If you know what chain it is, you may be able to get a new soft rivet link. A split pin link might work to get you to someone that can fit a new link if you are not happy to do it yourself. Whatever you do, don't fit a split pin link as a permanent fix.

If you think the chain is new, and the bike is in bits you should be able to check the stretch on the chain by measuring the length of 10 links (measured between the inside edges of the rivet heads of rivets 0 and 10 - counting the rivets on 10 links) The measured length should not be greater than 155mm - measure in a few places on the chain. Also check for tight spots in the chain.

If it was me and I was taking the chain off anyway, I'd fit a new'un.

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:16 am

Always a new chain.

Sorry but £80 versus the damage that can be done to you and bike if it breaks just ain't worth it

I run 17 / 42 btw which is way better than 17 / 39.