TRX Restoration Project

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Re: TRX Restoration Project

Post by Con Rod » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:54 am

Went out for a good ride this weekend to finish off running it in. About 1200km all up. Sydney up to Glouceter, then Taree and up to the Oxley Highway, then back to Sydney via Walcha.

It a trip I do several times a year and a good spot to do a comparison for before and after.

It's not using any oil. Rings, hone inlet valves and valve stem seals appear to have sorted that. I was up to over a litre for that trip before the work but did not use any at the weekend.

It has more grunt. I found I was holding gears longer and letting it rev higher. 3 gear to about 110, 4th to 140 and 5th beyond that, I cant see 5th getting used much....

Fuel consumption is at 4.2Ltr per 100km (67mpg) touring and 4.8ltr per 100km (58mpg) trashing it.

Plugs look good.

It is running like a new bike.

Anyway the objective was to renew the motor and stop the oil consumption so job done. With about 2500km since the rebuild and after 3 oil changes on mineral I will put synthetic in it now which should pretty much eliminate wear and give me many miles of motoring.
Paul

devlin
Site Sponsor

Post by devlin » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:56 am

'LIKE' :cheers:
"Racing is life, everything else is just waiting" - Steve McQueen
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:48 am

=D> =D> =D> Job well done.
laughter is the best medicine

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:33 pm

Nice one con - good to read a success story :D
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Post by Con Rod » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:55 pm

thanks gents, pains me to say it but riding home yesterday I had this terrible thought......I thought, you know, with all the work I have done I am now really happy with this bike. It feels finished.

Can you imagine having a TRX and not having a next job to do on it. The horror :evil:

Mercifully the brake discs are very thin and I will be milling a crescent out of the forks to take the blue spots. I am sure I will have decided by then that something else needs to be done [-o<
Paul

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Post by Con Rod » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:49 am

I have had the non adjustable forks from the Yzf750r on my bike for a while now and they are excellent. But after riding for a year or so I have identified a number of small tweaks needed for the compression and rebound which cant be done on the non adjustable forks.

A while back I picked up a pair of adjustable yzf750 forks to go on but the rebound adjusters on both legs were in bad shape and the compression adjuster on the right leg was damaged beyond repair. So I eventually found a bent pair in the USA which had the bits I need. They arrived yesterday

Paul

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Post by Con Rod » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:53 am

Got a bit of work done on the TRX over the last few days. I wanted to swap the non adjustable YZF750R forks on my bike to the fully adjustable forks and replace the YZF750 6 pot callipers with some blue spots

I used his mill to take some metal off of the fork lowers so as the R6 callipers would fit. Also had to take come pad matrial off to clear the bobbins on the YZF750 discs. Then painted the fork lowers black.

I assembled the forks with new seals and linear springs for my weight and put them on the bike.

I was fortunate enough to get a YZF 750 front wheel and discs on ebay. I didnt need the wheels but my discs were in bad shape. The discs that came on that wheel were in excellent condition so they went onto my wheel.

The R6 callipers and masters cylinder were fitted.

So now I just need to take it out for a ride.

Paul

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:29 am

Nice tidy finish and love the look of the black/ silver fin motor. 8)
Didn't you have a 650 turbo project goin a few yrs back????
laughter is the best medicine

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Post by Con Rod » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:00 am

cobbadiggabuddyblooo wrote:Nice tidy finish and love the look of the black/ silver fin motor. 8)
Didn't you have a 650 turbo project goin a few yrs back????
Thanks Cobba,

Yes I had an XN85 which I was going to restore, I did the chassis and the turbo but lost interest as its not really a great bike. Weighs a ton, bad brakes, bad suspension. I just figured there would nover be a time I would want to ride it over the TRX so I sold it on to a fella from Victoria
Paul

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Post by trixynut » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:36 am

Very nice, well done.

That's probably the TRX that Yamaha should have built in the first place: they had access to the YZF forks/swinger/rear wheel etc at the time so should have used them.....

Stankflapper
TRX-Enthusiast
Location: Australia. Land of Cold beer & Bitchy women, and fast bikes!

Post by Stankflapper » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:58 am

Looks Smart Rod :D

wreckage
Site Sponsor

Post by wreckage » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:17 am

Wow.. That looks really nice, ConRod. Good work!

Can you tell me if the mirrors you have are the same as these, please: http://arseh.at/mirrors ? And do they work out longer than the standard horrors?

Cheers.
Wherever you go, there you are.
:riding:

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Post by Con Rod » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:42 am

thanks guys,

I have since replaced those mirrors as the glass fell out of one, and I am not sure what they we from. I replaced them with these, standard ones,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/201074743030 ... 1439.l2649

I believe mirrors from an SV1000 can be used but the bolts holes need to be modified as there is a 3mm difference in the bolts spacing
Paul

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Post by Con Rod » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:59 pm

A mate recently got himself a nice lathe so I decided to drop over today to may a spacer to replace the existing spacer plus large washer I had in the back to the get the wheel alignment right with the YZF750 rear end

and also made up a connecting rid for the gear shift linkage to accommodate one of Cobba's quickshifters

pretty please with the result. Spacer works a treat, but I will have to wait for the quickshifter to arrive before I can see if the connecting rid is right

Paul

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Post by Con Rod » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:54 am

Cobbas quickshifter arrived and I set it up on the bike.

Set up was fairly straightforward.

First off you have to connect the switch in line with the gear linkage rod. To do this you either need to modify the existing rod or as I did make up a new one so the overall lenght of the rid and switch match the old rod (179mm)

Worth remembering when you do this that the bottom of the linkage is a left hand thread, so you may need to get a 6mm lef hand tap to cut that thread if you dont have one.

Wiring is up is straightforward. It comes with some crimp connectors which match the plug that connects to your initech box. There are 2 wires from the quick shifter, one goes to pin 19 and the other to pin 14. This uses multi-function input 2 on the ignition. Details are on the ignitech site here:

http://www.ignitech.cz/en/vyrobky/tcip/ ... v80_en.pdf

That done you just need to program the igntion.

So open the software, connect it to the bike and select "Clutch Master" on multi-function input 2, remember to click program when you are finished

You can verify that the switch is working by click up to 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th. Note the software will show when the switch is operating with the message "Clutch Master Yes" and "Input 2 Grounded"

I have not been out for a ride yes to properly test the switch, but big thanks to Cobba for organising the switched and the ignitech ignitions.

Both are quality products at very reasonable prices.

I am still tuning my ignition map but am delighted with what it gives me as after spending a lot of time getting my carbs running as well as possible I can now get even more out of the bike with ignition tuning
Paul