Engine rebuild - rods and pistons

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

redkiwi
TRX-Enthusiast

Engine rebuild - rods and pistons

Post by redkiwi » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:02 am

My engine is in need of new pistons and at least one con-rod.

Is it worthwhile getting carillo rods or should I just stick with standard?

Also, currently the bike has wossner pistons in it and they're slightly melted (so the mechanic says) - I may end up getting a second hand standard cylinder head to start fresh. Does anyone have an unused pair of JE/Wiseco pistons that they would be looking to part with, or alternatively, is anyone looking for someone to split a production run with, I understand they need to make a minimum of 4 pistons to place an order?

If anyone has performance cams they'd like to sell, or can supply me with proven performance cam profiles then I would be interested in that too.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Engine rebuild - rods and pistons

Post by Mincehead » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:18 am

If it were me and I had the money available I would buy and fit the Carillo`s but there are plenty of members who have big bore motors. Some make in excess of 104 bhp, they swear the Carillo`s (or similar alternatives) are an expensive but unnecessary addition.
So, if you can afford it why not?
All I`m saying is there is some evidence that they are not required for motor longevity. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

M.V.
Site Sponsor

Post by M.V. » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:40 pm

redkiwi wrote:My engine is in need of new pistons and at least one con-rod.

Is it worthwhile getting carillo rods or should I just stick with standard?

Also, currently the bike has wossner pistons in it and they're slightly melted (so the mechanic says) - I may end up getting a second hand standard cylinder head to start fresh. Does anyone have an unused pair of JE/Wiseco pistons that they would be looking to part with, or alternatively, is anyone looking for someone to split a production run with, I understand they need to make a minimum of 4 pistons to place an order?

If anyone has performance cams they'd like to sell, or can supply me with proven performance cam profiles then I would be interested in that too.
I've got a good head if you need, & some barrels in need of a rebore, probably perfect for you application.

(I say it's good, but I haven't had it check or measured...)

redkiwi
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by redkiwi » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:19 pm

M.V. wrote:I've got a good head if you need, & some barrels in need of a rebore, probably perfect for you application.

(I say it's good, but I haven't had it check or measured...)
Cheers mate, will be in touch when I get on to it - it's a bit hard rebuilding an engine from 3300km away when shops don't email you like they said they would!

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:22 pm

You`ll also need bloody long handled spanners! :lol:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

acerockclimber52
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by acerockclimber52 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:31 pm

Make sure you check the inlet valves. I'm just doing a rebuild, all of the inlet valves were completely worn out at 63,000k. The exhaust valves didn't have a mark on them and all the seats including inlet were good. Must be crap metal in the inlet valves. I have also installed 91mm JE pistons and welded a sniffer hole in to the exhuast pipes at the joiner halfway along the pipes. One of my friends has a computer thingo to screw in to check mixture over different ranges, don't know how that will work out yet. I know it worked well on his Polaris 4 wheeler.