Big bore headers available soon

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Big bore headers available soon

Post by Mincehead » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:47 am

Them`s very reasonable prices pal, what are they 304, 304L or 316, 316L?
By the way, I`m off to a wee engineering outfit after lunch, a neighbour too, turns out he can do all kinds of things involving fabrication, ally and stainless, welding too. :wink:
AND.......................................
You still haven`t replied to my text! :lol: :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

billy budge
Site Sponsor

Post by billy budge » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:33 am

Awesome, those are super duper prices, especially to what some blaggards wanted to scam me for!!!!! :lol:

Let me know what I need to do to get monies to you Kayla and more importantly when and it will be done. I have cash ready to go asap. 8) 8)

Happy days. You deserve alot of credit for sorting this out and tell the boys that their handy work is top drawer.
speeding?......me?.......with my reputation?

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:36 am

Guess what I found while rummaging yesterday Billy? Yep, those mirror polished R1 clip-ons that I couldn`t find last time I looked. #-o
I plan to keep them now, might do an alternative take on the cafe racer `look` at some time in the future.
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Kayla
Site Sponsor

Post by Kayla » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:44 am

billy budge wrote:Awesome, those are super duper prices, especially to what some blaggards wanted to scam me for!!!!! :lol:

Let me know what I need to do to get monies to you Kayla and more importantly when and it will be done. I have cash ready to go asap. 8) 8)

Happy days. You deserve alot of credit for sorting this out and tell the boys that their handy work is top drawer.
They're available to order on my website now-

http://www.projection-components.co.uk/ ... -168-p.asp

I hadn't forgotten about the 60mm outlets either :D

Just because you're breathing, it doesn't mean you're alive.

billy budge
Site Sponsor

Post by billy budge » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:01 am

Right I am heading over there now then K.

I knew that you wouldnt have forgotten....I live with a female for my sins and she dont forget nothing either!!!! :lol:

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:03 am

I note you do a rather nice Supermono t-shirt too Kayla, might have to get me one of those and perhaps the FCR one too. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:10 pm

Kayla wrote:Right, I've just had a phone call from them and the jigs for the systems are ready :D

Prices are-

2-1, 1.5" headers (1.5mm wall), 50mm link (1.2mm wall) - £335 plus post (£9 UK, £25 EU, £58 rest of the world)

2-1-2, 1.5" headers (1.5mm wall), 50mm collector (1.2mm wall) into 2 x 50mm links (1.2mm wall) - £480 plus post as above

I'll get some pics when I go up to collect them either today or Monday, but they are available now. There's a 2-3 week turnaround on them as they are made to order.

HOLD IT!
When i look what 1,5 inches is i get 38mm wich is standard bore...i really not need another standard system as i have one already if you know what i mean. Did we not talk about a big bore system here??

Kayla
Site Sponsor

Post by Kayla » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:33 pm

Killerwhale wrote:
Kayla wrote:Right, I've just had a phone call from them and the jigs for the systems are ready :D

Prices are-

2-1, 1.5" headers (1.5mm wall), 50mm link (1.2mm wall) - £335 plus post (£9 UK, £25 EU, £58 rest of the world)

2-1-2, 1.5" headers (1.5mm wall), 50mm collector (1.2mm wall) into 2 x 50mm links (1.2mm wall) - £480 plus post as above

I'll get some pics when I go up to collect them either today or Monday, but they are available now. There's a 2-3 week turnaround on them as they are made to order.

HOLD IT!
When i look what 1,5 inches is i get 38mm wich is standard bore...i really not need another standard system as i have one already if you know what i mean. Did we not talk about a big bore system here??
Sorry, my bad, I should've typed 1.75" od which is 44.4mm. I've corrected the shop listing now- thanks for pointing that out KW! :D

Just because you're breathing, it doesn't mean you're alive.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:44 pm

Maybe that`s 1.5" `nominal bore` tube Kw? Kayla will be along to confirm I`m sure. :wink:
Stainless tube can be made to conform to several standards and I can assure you if it IS NPS (Nominal Pipe Size) the O/D is actually 48.26 mm less your 3mm overall wall thickness (1.5 mm x 2) and you get 45.26 mm I/D. :wink:
I worked in precision engineering for years it`s somewhat confusing all the pipe and flange standards but there are tables available to help you steer through the minefields. :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominal_Pipe_Size

Get yourself a Zeus book :wink: .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Precision-Refer ... B0000CLZUO

Edit:

Damn too late.............................. :lol:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:46 pm

Kayla wrote:
Killerwhale wrote:

Prices are-

HOLD IT!
Sorry, my bad, I should've typed 1.75" od which is 44.4mm. I've corrected the shop listing now- thanks for pointing that out KW! :D
Fheewww!!! 8-[

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:10 pm

Must be ASTM spec tube that`s been used then as 1.75" = 44.450mm. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

billy budge
Site Sponsor

Post by billy budge » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:54 pm

Phew...didnt even notice that.

Ive paid me monies now....yahooo!!! 8)

Marty Moose
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Marty Moose » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:54 pm

Looking forward to seeing the pics

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:54 pm

Marty Moose wrote:Looking forward to seeing the pics
I´ve taken one pic...will come later.
I thought i´d do a pre race post install review:
Very nice bends and welds, easy install. Spring load system really doesn´t do much as it´s very firm when screwed in (yanked the middle pipe and it would not move at all) Would have liked spring lugs for the exhaust can as well.

Pipe from 2-1 link and back sits firmly agains the underside of footpeg and is a VERY tight fit on my YZF swinger, it also sits lower than akrapovic.
It´s not as loud as the akra, i was surprised! But backpulses on tick over was worse, galopping horse them slides now (i think a pipe between downpipes will resolve that!)
Keeping in mind my head is ported so i might have to take some out on the lower half of the outlet wich is 38mm and don´t match my exhaust ports.

I´ll add to this on saturday, weatherman says it´s going to shine....

sanddune51
Site Sponsor

Post by sanddune51 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:31 pm

A mismatch between the exhaust port and the header tube is no bad thing at all. As long as the header has a larger bore than the port. It's better if the lower part of the port is a few mm higher than the exhaust header. It can be beneficial in hindering flow reversion. The short side of the port flows less gas and with longer duration cams the increased valve overlap can lead to flow trying to return back in to the cylinder. The long radius of the port and pipe does not suffer from this flow reversion and should be matched to provide a smooth transition.

On the (short or tight) radius of the exhaust port the flow tries to eddy and fold back under itself,a little like waves on the beach curling under themselves as they break. During the period when both inlet and exhaust valves are open the depression in the cylinder on the induction stroke tries to pull in spent exhaust gases.This is when flow can stall and then reverse. The inlet charge can end up with a degree of exhaust contamination. A mismatched step at the port to header face can serve to prevent this happening. A correctly designed mismatch can be power for free. :lol:

Mark