Big bore headers available soon

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

zednine
Site Sponsor

Big bore headers available soon

Post by zednine » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:22 pm

Hi Folks

I was at Quill exhausts today talking to the boss Jim and when running a dyno test on my bike commented that the downpipes were not really up to the job.

We chatted a while and hes keen to make up either big bore headers or maybe 2 into 1 systems for the Trx

Question is ........ Is there a market and what would you guys prefer ?

Wed need to get half a dozen sets done to make it worthwhile and we will be posting a before and after dyno result to see how much HP these will add

Let me know your thoughts and I will be discussing timescales etc next Saturday with him

Chris

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Big bore headers available soon

Post by Mincehead » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:35 pm

DEFINATELY a market for some well made tapered systems yes!
The two into one into two gives the best results in the real world but a two into one similar to that Akrapovic used to make would sell well too.
I have a set of Over pipework, not in the `real deal ` titanium but in lightweight stainless, it`s reckoned to be up there with the best for max power.
Oh another thing, the price MUST be sensible, none of this 1000 quid mallarkey, 350 to 450 being much nearer sensible figures.
After all you`ve still got to get cans or would those come with it?
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:45 am

I am with Mince, a set of tapered headers with a two into one into two is deffo on my shopping list, I think Kenny was after a set too - £350 - £450 seem sabout right

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:04 am

Akra 2 into 1 dimentions where posted up here recently so a good head start. :wink:
wouldn't be too hard to give you the option at the collection box of 2 into 1 or 2 into 1 into 2 utilising the same headers.
laughter is the best medicine

Kayla
Site Sponsor

Post by Kayla » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:18 am

cobbadiggabuddyblooo wrote:Akra 2 into 1 dimentions where posted up here recently so a good head start. :wink:
wouldn't be too hard to give you the option at the collection box of 2 into 1 or 2 into 1 into 2 utilising the same headers.
But, and here's the rub, the batch price will probably for a single design either 2-1-2 or 2-1, not both. As soon as you add options, the price goes up because instead of being able to guarantee 20 orders for a 2-1 system you're into making two lots of 10 (which would mean making up two jigs and probably working out two different sets of bends.) Then factor in the price of making the 2-1-2 collector and, well, that's why the price for nice exhausts is 'high'.

The place I was dealing with quoted £250 per set of single diameter, big bore 2-1 stainless headers for a batch of 5- meaning I had to be able to pull out £1250 for a batch, and that was before people started wanting 2-1-2s and matching wallpaper.

Just because you're breathing, it doesn't mean you're alive.

drix
Site Sponsor

Post by drix » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:20 pm

SDN wrote:I am with Mince, a set of tapered headers with a two into one into two is deffo on my shopping list, I think Kenny was after a set too - £350 - £450 seem sabout right
I'd be very tempted to! 8)

ChrisH
Site Sponsor

Post by ChrisH » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:29 pm

=D> good find Chris

i would be up for this

andyaber
Site Sponsor

Post by andyaber » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:06 pm

And another.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:03 pm

Kayla wrote:
cobbadiggabuddyblooo wrote:Akra 2 into 1 dimentions where posted up here recently so a good head start. :wink:
But, and here's the rub, the batch price will probably for a single design either 2-1-2 or 2-1, not both. As soon as you add options, the price goes up because instead of being able to guarantee 20 orders for a 2-1 system you're into making two lots of 10 (which would mean making up two jigs and probably working out two different sets of bends.) Then factor in the price of making the 2-1-2 collector and, well, that's why the price for nice exhausts is 'high'.

The place I was dealing with quoted £250 per set of single diameter, big bore 2-1 stainless headers for a batch of 5- meaning I had to be able to pull out £1250 for a batch, and that was before people started wanting 2-1-2s and matching wallpaper.
If the collector where the two headers slot in is cleverly designed the choice for either a single outlet or two link pipes would be pretty simple to do in all honesty Kayla. Two simple adaptor pieces wouldn`t add too much to the overall cost. Obviously interference fit pipework with springs would be the way to go. :wink:
Wish I had a workshop and a TIG plant, I would be knocking them out no trouble at all, there are no difficult bends and fabrication issues involved in a TRX to worry about.
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

coxylaad
Site Sponsor

Post by coxylaad » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:11 pm

I scored a top spec tig welder from work when they closed the fab shop, and an industrial pipe bender. If anyone has any idea of using either of them and are willing to give me a hand we could have a go ourselves!

this type of pipe bender:

and this type of welder:

How hard can it be :D

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:20 pm

Where are you in the UK?
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Kayla
Site Sponsor

Post by Kayla » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:33 am

Just round the corner from me!

Ian- if you're going to use that bender for thin wall stuff it's best to fill the tube with wet sand first, really pack it in, so the tube doesn't crease as it's bent. How much would you sell the TIG for? :D

Just because you're breathing, it doesn't mean you're alive.

coxylaad
Site Sponsor

Post by coxylaad » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:50 am

yep, about a mile and a half down the road from Kayla.

I will have to get some exhaust pipe to have a mess about with.

Not sure how we would make the flanges at the end of the headers into the head?

Kayla - I cant sell it, as they gave me it on provision that if they ever needed it again they could have access to it.
You are welcome to borrow it if needed though.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:57 am

Plasma cut 5 to 8mm stainless would work a treat for the flanges, order them in from a local supplier. There would very likely be a batch size of say 20 or more though. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

coxylaad
Site Sponsor

Post by coxylaad » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:59 am

do you think its doable given the tools we have?