Kent Cams

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

HansJ
Site Sponsor

Kent Cams

Post by HansJ » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:32 am

Primarily a question for Phuk and Honk, and anyone else with Kent cams.

I am thinking of regrinding my cams, and thought I'd let Kent Cams do it. Now on their web-site, they only offer TDM re-grinding. Is this what You have put in? (I have understood this will give more omphh than peak power, which suits me fine.)

I asked them about adjustable sprockets, and the short and simple answer was "No", but as I recall it, Honk is supposed to have adjustable sprockets in his mean machine?

Would it be a bad idea to buy another set of used cams and let them regrind those, instead of mine? One reason not to, would be the matching wear of the cams and the head, but I don't know if it matters. A bit scared of the cams getting stuck, it has killed one too many TRX lump...
IQiokW
*** Stalwart of the Sight ***

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:00 am

The cams I've got are for a TRX (although I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same as the TDM)

They are designed to increase midrange not peak power

Slotted sprockets were offerred to me (although I didn't deal directly with Kent) and Honk (who I believe did)

Best thing to do is to phone Kent and ask them. Otherwise email http://www.tts-performance.com or http://www.holeshotracing.co.uk or http://www.2ktt.co.uk

Not sure it makes any difference if you grind new cams or old ones tbh?

earywig
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by earywig » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:33 pm

I seem to recall on a recent post that Honk did have slotted cams but it didn't really make much difference to the power and so left the timing as standard.

phuk72

Post by phuk72 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:56 pm

Yes he (Honk) does have slotted sprockets.

honkdawillydahonk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by honkdawillydahonk » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:33 pm

earywig wrote:I seem to recall on a recent post that Honk did have slotted cams but it didn't really make much difference to the power and so left the timing as standard.
That's not entirely accurate.... When I adjusted the cam timing I ended up within a Gnat's snatch of the standard positions; so for me slotted sprockets didn't gain me anything, but another engine may well be different....
NEVER EAT ANYTHING BIGGER THAN YOUR HEAD

phuk72

Post by phuk72 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:18 pm

Same story with me.

I decided to set up first and see if sprockets needed slotting - they didn't and I knew that there was no way I would change the timing so I left them as is.

HansJ
Site Sponsor

Post by HansJ » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:38 pm

honkdawillydahonk wrote:
earywig wrote:I seem to recall on a recent post that Honk did have slotted cams but it didn't really make much difference to the power and so left the timing as standard.
That's not entirely accurate.... When I adjusted the cam timing I ended up within a Gnat's snatch of the standard positions; so for me slotted sprockets didn't gain me anything, but another engine may well be different....
Honk, where did You get the sprockets from? The mail response I got from Kent was a clear 'No, we don't have them'...
IQiokW
*** Stalwart of the Sight ***

honkdawillydahonk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by honkdawillydahonk » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:42 pm

HansJ wrote: Honk, where did You get the sprockets from? The mail response I got from Kent was a clear 'No, we don't have them'...
I had my standard ones machined out.

Red Rex
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Red Rex » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:23 pm

Honk, How can you say that slotting your cams didn't gain you anything. Just think of the weight !!!
Rubber side down, Red side up is my preferred riding style.

Max
Janitor

Post by Max » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:01 am

I was hoping it wasn't the same guy that did his heat sink... :shock:
Max

(TaZ, tz250w)

Red Rex
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Red Rex » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:12 am

No !! I was being serious. If you think about it logically (and I have) by reducing the weight of cam gear you will automatically reduce the centifugal forces of the cam gear, which will result in lower energy-sapping loads on the valve gear train, thus increasing available power to the back wheel. Reducing the centifugal forces will reduce the gyroscopic forces which resist directional changes, thus improving steering response through corners and needing less rider input. The fact that the cam gear is carried high in the engine, any lightening in that area will lower the centre of gravity to further enhance stability and steering.
All in all I think slotting the cams is a very worthwhile exercise even if it has no effect on engine tuning the side effects are enormous, as I think I have just proven. After all if weight saving is not a big factor in modern motorcyle design why do all the major manufacturers insist on making their petrol tanks hollow? I rest my case.
Rubber side down, Red side up is my preferred riding style.

twolfe
Site Sponsor

Post by twolfe » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:38 am

why do all the major manufacturers insist on making their petrol tanks hollow? ooh ooh I know this one.So the fuel will fit in :shock:

Max
Janitor

Post by Max » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:46 am

twolfe wrote:why do all the major manufacturers insist on making their petrol tanks hollow? ooh ooh I know this one.So the fuel will fit in :shock:
I think you got a bite there Red Rex! Looks like a fighter too! :lol:
Max

(TaZ, tz250w)

honkdawillydahonk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by honkdawillydahonk » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:12 pm

Max wrote:I was hoping it wasn't the same guy that did his heat sink... :shock:
Nope. I did that. And it works just fine in case anyone was wondering..... :lol:

wicky
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by wicky » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:59 am

honkdawillydahonk wrote:
Max wrote:I was hoping it wasn't the same guy that did his heat sink... :shock:
Nope. I did that. And it works just fine in case anyone was wondering..... :lol:

really....... :lol: 8)