single sided swing arm

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

alextrx850
Site Sponsor

single sided swing arm

Post by alextrx850 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:43 am

am interested in the collective out there in fitting a VFR 800 or a ducati rear swing...ive done a lot of enquiries through the e-bay listings and asked the dimentoins-ect.. any thoughts,??....

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Re: single sided swing arm

Post by phuk72 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:26 am

My thoughts are that SSSA look shite and are pointless - even counterproductive. But I guess you don't want to hear that ;)

This has been looked at before and nothing just bolts in. However, if you must then the usual 'anything can be made to fit' approach applies.

I've seen a Triumph arm fitted - but it was quite involved.

Kayla
Site Sponsor

Post by Kayla » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:41 pm

phuk72 wrote:My thoughts are that SSSA look shite and are pointless - even counterproductive. But I guess you don't want to hear that ;)
+1, sorry. Unless you're endurance racing and need quick rear wheel changes, or building a bike to polish instead of enjoy riding, SSSAs are rubbish.

Just because you're breathing, it doesn't mean you're alive.

slow codger
Site Sponsor

Post by slow codger » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:05 pm

:shock: +2, and dont forget you need to re-route the exhaust, or get a 2 into 1.

Dave E
An infiltrator from the dark side!

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:26 pm

Here`s what an old pal has done with one, MR2 based trike, works alright for a tripod:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fb ... =1&theater
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

alextrx850
Site Sponsor

Post by alextrx850 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:18 pm

Kayla wrote:
phuk72 wrote:My thoughts are that SSSA look shite and are pointless - even counterproductive. But I guess you don't want to hear that ;)
+1, sorry. Unless you're endurance racing and need quick rear wheel changes, or building a bike to polish instead of enjoy riding, SSSAs are rubbish.
quite correct to all,the rear swing arm flex of a SSSA would probably be a dissapointment to me compared to the YZF rear no on and wouldnt justify the engineering..i think that i already knew this and just needed to be TOLD..but oooh , they do look pretty..

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:42 pm

I`ve seen that Speed Triple before, a very nice example of one it is too. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Stankflapper
TRX-Enthusiast
Location: Australia. Land of Cold beer & Bitchy women, and fast bikes!

Post by Stankflapper » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:54 pm

Motogp bikes have all gone back to double sided swingarms.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:26 am

If a frame is designed to work with the SSSA, being torsionally strong enough to deal with the forces applied to it they can work well, Ducati street bikes don`t seem to suffer any ill effects from them nor do Speed Triples.
They do tend to be heavier than an alloy box section or even an oval tube arm that is braced, like those designed and manufactured by plenty of special frame and swingarm makers.
Here`s a few examples of swingarms and a gorgeous SSSA from Gavin at GIA Engineering, second image down on the left.(click on it for a larger image):

http://www.giaengineering.co.uk/Frame-K ... inium.html
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

pom in nz
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by pom in nz » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:45 am

yeh im with everyone else on the SSSA thing, but why not change the wheels, there are some stunning designs, and a weight saving too, funny how with car modders its the first thing they change :wink: shame bike wheels are so exspensive :shock:
if its too hard, your doing it wrong.

Kayla
Site Sponsor

Post by Kayla » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:56 pm

R6 five spokers would be easy to fit, especially if you've already got YZF front and back ends fitted.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:15 pm

Yes, sadly unless you`ve got R1 / 6 or YZF750 front ends and a YZF750 swingarm the range of aftermarket wheels out there are not an easy fit to a TRX, if you can utilise them at all!
Dymag will MAKE a pair of wheels for a stock TRX, though they ain`t cheap:

http://www.dymag.com/?q=products

And remember folks Dymag are one of the few to meet MOST of the specifications for road use around the world, even their magnesium wheels meet current safety standards for road and race use.
Some better pictorial views and information, prices on application:

http://www.bikehps.com/dymag/

I love the look of the magnesium centred / carbon rimmed varients. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

alextrx850
Site Sponsor

Post by alextrx850 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:17 pm

Kayla wrote:R6 five spokers would be easy to fit, especially if you've already got YZF front and back ends fitted.
lots of good ideas there,especially to the r6 rims,should be lots out there and cheap as well....really enjoy my yzf front an back gear and would recomend anyone to change over..the trx is such a blank canvas

Kayla
Site Sponsor

Post by Kayla » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:44 am

alextrx850 wrote:
Kayla wrote:R6 five spokers would be easy to fit, especially if you've already got YZF front and back ends fitted.
lots of good ideas there,especially to the r6 rims,should be lots out there and cheap as well....really enjoy my yzf front an back gear and would recomend anyone to change over..the trx is such a blank canvas
The five spokers aren't cheap yet, because they're used in Supersport racing and 05-11 wheels are the same, but the older design three spoke wheels are quite cheap. They're lighter than the standard YZF wheels and use the same size bearings and rear disc but you'll need a new sprocket carrier and front discs.

drmac
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by drmac » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:56 am

I,ve got a 99 r6 front wheel fitted to the later 03-05 r6 5sl forks on my bike, the later 5 spoke wheels have different disc mounting and off set to the earlier ones so i had to take 1.0mm of the calipers mountings. I was going to fit the 5 spoke wheels however at the time they were £350 a set but i got a set of 3 spoke ones for £150.

Not sure want the sssa would do to your handling as i remember seeing an fzr1000 and yzf750 fitted with a vfr one in streetfighters mag years ago and it looked like the vfr arms where quite a bit longer that the standard swingarms.