Semi faithful, ground up restoration project!

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Re: Semi faithful, ground up restoration project!

Post by Killerwhale » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:56 am

Wolfman wrote:
Killerwhale wrote:
Wolfman wrote:Well, i find out today, it's a $1200 question, will the FCR's make that much difference HP wise, etc, on this bike, to make them worth the "Entry Price"???

That is for the full kit, not just the carbies....it's a lot of coin, on top of a lot of coin already spent...

Especially considering the OEM carb's have just been overhauled, and given a carbie kit....and the bike is alreadt pulling big numbers on the dyno!

:?
Well, they made 10hp+ on that racer dudes bike...if it´s worth that...up to you :)
Yeah, but will it be worth 10hp on a bike that already has modified carbies that will obviously work better with the Factory Pro kit, including replacement emulsion tubes???
I said, up to you...you need to ask inside your head :)

Wolfman
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Wolfman » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:24 pm

I have asked inside my head, that's why i am asking on here! Cause i want some input from other Knowledgable types re tuning, etc...

I am already getting bloody great HP figures, and i have not even got the OEM carbie/ air filter combo fully sorted yet....which makes me believe that a $1200 carbie aint gonna make that much difference, compared to a tricked up OEM carbie, rthat has been set up properly....

:D

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:32 pm

Wolfman wrote:I have asked inside my head, that's why i am asking on here! Cause i want some input from other Knowledgable types re tuning, etc...

I am already getting bloody great HP figures, and i have not even got the OEM carbie/ air filter combo fully sorted yet....which makes me believe that a $1200 carbie aint gonna make that much difference, compared to a tricked up OEM carbie, rthat has been set up properly....

as said, 10hp +
Maybe not want that without a pair of aftermarket conrods...as the standard TRX is 78 at the crank! :) The supertuned over racing bike made 115hp but carrillos where used!

SORRY, they used titanium conrods!
Last edited by Killerwhale on Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:34 pm

I reckon you`ll get at least 10 bhp from fitting the FCR`s, maybe more given your already extensive tuning. You may even see 115 bhp+ as a final dyno figure.
It`ll be very interesting to see what you eventually get with the stock carbs `modded` anyway. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Wolfman
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Wolfman » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:38 pm

We did consider using carillo rods, but the OEM rods should be able to handle anything up to about 150hp, and we ain't going anywhere near that!

I did say "should", and I must admit I am putting my faith in the judgement of the guys building the motor, on that front.

I did get a second opinion from a buddy, who happens to build 800hp sprintcars motors..., he seems to think carillo rids in a motor only putting out HP in the territory we are in with the TRX.

So, back to my question, FCR's or not?

An extra 10hp...possibly a 115hp motor...it is tempting! Expensive, but very tempting...one thing that will prevent me from pushing the go button on FCR's, is availability, was told today by the Aussie Distributor for Keihin carbies that TRX carbies are not in stock, and that at the moment, there is a longer than normal turnaround time on keihin stuff right now, as a result of the earthquake earlier this year, stopping production, and as such, causing a backlog of orders, worldwide.

Maybe I will save the FCR route for the other TRX motor I have sitting in my shed, that I intend to re-build at some point, and put in a go kart!
Last edited by Wolfman on Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:41 pm

Wolfman wrote:We did consider using carillo rods, but the OEM rods should be able to handle anything up to about 150hp, and we ain't going anywhere near that!

I did say "should", and I must admit I am putting my faith in the judgement of the guys building the motor, on that front.

I did get a second opinion from a buddy, who happens to build 800hp sprintcars motors..., he seems to think carillo rids in a motor only putting out HP in the territory we are in with the TRX.

So, back to my question, FCR's or not?

An extra 10hp...possibly a 115hp motor...it is tempting! Expensive, but very tempting...only thing that will stop Nevis availability, was told today by the Aussie Distributor for Keihin carbies that TRX carbies are not in stock, and that at the moment, there is a longer than normal turnaround time on keihin stuff right now, as a result of the earthquake earlier this year, stopping production, and as such, causing a backlog of orders, worldwide.

Maybe I will save the FCR route for the other TRX motor I have sitting in my shed, that I intend to re-build at some point, and put in a go kart!
Yeah and you´ll actually need to spend some dosh in getting the head matched/flowed to the FCR´s as well....

Wolfman
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Wolfman » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:49 pm

Yes, the $1200 for the carbies, could very easily turn into a couple of grand, very quickly, once you got down to the business of getting them to work properly with the motor for optimum performance...

Money I don't need to put into a bike, which has already cost me way above what any TRX can be expected to sell for in Australia!

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:55 pm

Wolfman wrote:Yes, the $1200 for the carbies, could very easily turn into a couple of grand, very quickly, once you got down to the business of getting them to work properly with the motor for optimum performance...

Money I don't need to put into a bike, which has already cost me way above what any TRX can be expected to sell for in Australia!
And finally there was the answer, KATCHING!!! :)

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:03 pm

Coming from abloke who`s spent THOUSANDS on his TRX! :lol:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:04 pm

Mincehead wrote:Coming from abloke who`s spent THOUSANDS on his TRX! :lol:
Well, some spend nutting...German guy got 124hp on his TDM900 conversion! ;)

Wolfman
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Wolfman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:11 pm

Carbie kit went on Yesterday, bit of tuning to do this morning, then i get the bike back today!

WOOP! Almost 12 months to the day since my buddy lunched the motor!

Paid Registration, and insurance yesterday, ordered a new personalised plate....TRX868!

Wolfman
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Wolfman » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Stankflapper
TRX-Enthusiast
Location: Australia. Land of Cold beer & Bitchy women, and fast bikes!

Post by Stankflapper » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:40 am

Top Job!! =D> You have got to be happy with that result. Any chance of a pic of the exhaust side too?

Wolfman
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Wolfman » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:05 am

Stankflapper wrote:Top Job!! =D> You have got to be happy with that result. Any chance of a pic of the exhaust side too?
Yep, i will take a few more pictures tonight...

schmiffee
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by schmiffee » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:03 am

Search YouTube for - TRX850 Custom Headers, GYTR pipe.

Sorry cant seem to embed it myself. Even get to see his mug!
Understeer - when you hit the fence with the front of the bike.
Oversteer - when you hit the fence with the rear of the bike.
Horsepower - how fast you hit the fence.
Torque - how far you take the fence with you.