Semi faithful, ground up restoration project!

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Re: Semi faithful, ground up restoration project!

Post by trixynut » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:15 pm

That motor looks good mate, well done.

Love the silver fins.

You need to get a set of stainless allen head bolts for the motor cases etc to finish it off a treat.

Wolfman
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Wolfman » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:17 am

trixynut wrote:That motor looks good mate, well done.

Love the silver fins.

You need to get a set of stainless allen head bolts for the motor cases etc to finish it off a treat.
I have a bunch of titanium engine bolts sitting here, ready to go on, just as soon as i get the bike back from the shop.

:D

Wolfman
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Wolfman » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:49 am

Ok, the new valves arrived from Japan today, so it's go go go with finiahing the engine re-build. Headers will be back from the Ceramic Coaters on Monday, and this week, i spent about 13 hours poilshing the front fairing unit, and seat cowl...Both where in excellent condition when i bought them, but now they look like new...glassy, and pretty much completely scratch free, other than 3 small stone chip marks on front fairing...

Here are some photo's of the polished up items...

Even the inside of the OEM front fairing is scratch free...The two seats are pretty much as new, especially the pillion seat, looks like it has hardly ever been on a bike...

Wolfman
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Semi faithful, ground up restoration project! now with v

Post by Wolfman » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:59 am

Ok, the bike is now nearly finished...

Got the headers back from the Fabricator, and the ceramic coating joint, and was extremely happy with the result...they look fantastic, the quality of welding is superb, and the fit up to the muffler is very snug! here is a picture of the headers before they went on the bike...

The re-built motor is now back in the bike, with the headers attached, and muffler fitted...

I think the motor looks fantastic, and as for the exhaust, the complete system weigh's 5.3kg from front to back! Huge improvement over OEM exhaust system, in that regard!

Now, the motor ia refitted, and everything needed for the motor to run, is connected!

So this arvo, the bike was put up on the dyno, for tuning....Carbies, Airbox, which looks like it is either going to be seriously modified, or replaced with K&N pod filters!!! As it seems to be very restrictive...we got 85hp from our first run today (Motor only revved to 7500rpm due to it being the first time run since re-build, it redlines at 8000rpm, and rev's out to 9500rpm). Whatever the case, the induction roar as the secondaries open up, should be rather raucous!

After we removed the airbox completely, and ran the bike up to 7500rpm again, we got about 93hp at 7500rpm, and a torque output of 89Nm, up the from 76hp/80Nm of torque of a Stock TRX850.

we think we have the carbies set up pretty well, with the right size needles, etc, it's just now a matter of fine tuning the carbies, and getting the air flow at it's optimum....there is a quiet optimism that we can end up with about 100-105 hp/95Nm of torque, once we get all that right, and rev the bike out to it's rev ceiling...

The motor has had everything that you can do done to it, without lightening the crank, or adding bolt on hp....

Compression is now up around 12:1, and this is due to head work, and the profile of the brand new Ivan Tinghe cams, which cost me $977!!!, this cam profile is not the same as, but based on the lift and duration of R1 cams...which run a compression ratio of 12:1.

Engine capacity is now 878cc.

30 Thousandth's taken off the block to get piston height exact, and about 10 Thousandth's taken off the head. Valve seats re-ground, polished, ported, honed, etc, you name it's been done!

Ok, i know at least a couple people are keen to hear how the thing sounds, well i got a crappy video today...

This video was taken at a moments notice, with my Iphone, AND IS CRAP, but you sorta get the idea.....excuse the first 20 seconds of the video having virtually no audio, cause i had my finger over the microphone!!! DORK! but the last 10 seconds is great, if you turn up the volume on your speakers! ))

I will take a better video with my camera when the final tune is done...

In real life, it sounds loud, deep, gruff, and totally intoxicating, like a good V-Twin motor should....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSrHaqILhcQ

:twisted:

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:40 pm

I thought I was going mad there for a minute then reaslised half your post is repeated! :lol:
Anyway, beside that little observation it`s looking very nice, the exhaust system is lovely and you`re right fits very well indeed. Good power figures too, are you running flatslides or stock carbs, you didn`t say?
Ooops forgot to add, she sounds lovely too! =D>
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Kevtrx849

Post by Kevtrx849 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:47 pm

Mincehead wrote:I thought I was going mad there for a minute then reslised half your post is repeated! :lol:
Fixed that.
If everything seems under control
your just not going fast enough.
( HENRY FORD )

fung
Site Sponsor

Post by fung » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:55 pm

The std cv carbs seem to like still air and an even atmospheric pressure to ensure they dont drop in a hole in the bottom midrange.
with the factorypro emulsion tubes, TI needles and a 2-1, i had to use a small db killer to 'fill' the hole in the bottom mid range, three turns on the mixtures and centre groove on the needles, std unmodified airbox.
cheers
fung
8)
p.s. havent dyno'ed, but it seems to run pretty good. been for a few runs with the boys down here and not been shamed out yet.
I WOULD RATHER WEAR OUT THAN RUST

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:57 pm

Kevtrx849 wrote:
Mincehead wrote:I thought I was going mad there for a minute then reslised half your post is repeated! :lol:
Fixed that.
Ah ok Kev cheers, could have done that myself but was busy in another window and forgot about my mod status. #-o
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

fung
Site Sponsor

Post by fung » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:09 pm

Mince.
didn't know you rode a lambretta?
makes sense now. . . . quaaludes !
and here i was thinking it was just 'old timers disease' !!
cheers
fung
8)
I WOULD RATHER WEAR OUT THAN RUST

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:29 pm

=D> =D> =D>
Can`t beat a hairdryer, my mad mate is still talking of putting a ZZR600 engine in an old Vespa after he`s finished his XS250 turbo project.
Last time I rode one I was about 11, in the woods near where I grew up, loads of fun over mud with those tiny wheels. :D
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Wolfman
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Wolfman » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:22 pm

It is confirmed...K&N pod filters going on the bike, inplace of restrictive airbox, stage 3 Dynojet carbie kit being fitted, am determined to get 100 manageable horsepower, without putting flatside carbies on, and spending an extra $1000+!!!

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:29 pm

It`ll be damn good going on those stock carbs if you achieve it!
I take it that Dyno can be trusted to supply accurate figures?
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:14 pm

Mincehead wrote:It`ll be damn good going on those stock carbs if you achieve it!
I´ve used same dyno from the start and he bought a new dynojet (floor dug down) and it shows approx 6% less that the dynojet he had previously. MJP dynos are low i´ve noticed. So again, if not dynoed before fettling i would try a number of them and get a middle number. That German who got 124HP on a 900 with only skimmed head....sounds a tad much! :lol:

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:09 am

What the dyno says is really just for bragging in the pub, it's how the bike feels thats important and for my money, bottom end and stomping mid range from 3000 revs on is what it's really all about in the real world.

Wolfman
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Wolfman » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:56 am

Mincehead wrote:It`ll be damn good going on those stock carbs if you achieve it!
Yes, i have had other bikes on this dyno before, bikes that have been on other reliable dyno's, and it HP output figures, etc, seem to be pretty accurate, rather than wildly optimistic.