Semi faithful, ground up restoration project!

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Wolfman
TRX-Enthusiast

Semi faithful, ground up restoration project!

Post by Wolfman » Fri May 27, 2011 2:28 am

Well recently, i bought a "Basketcase" TRX850 from a friend who lunched the motor for the 3rd time in his 12 year ownership of the bike....Yes, 3 times! The whole bike was never well looked after, and the final engine failure was the final straw for my buddy....he could'nt afford to fix the motor again, as well as the multitude of other problems that the bike has/had! Oh his engine crapped itself, cause it ran out of oil....when i got the bike i dumped the oil, to find that the bike only had 200 Ml's of oil in it!!!

So i offered to take the thing off his hands and fix the bike properly!!! I have a pretty decent workshop at home, and i like to tinker!

The bike has done 133,000Km's, and is/was in a sorry state....

Engine....big end failure!, Front brake calipers....one caliper seized!, Front brake disc's - 3.8 mm thick & warped, rear brake disc badly rutted, and 4.1mm thick!, both clip-on's bent!, left rearset held on by one bolt...footpegs bent!, Frame cracked near pillion footpeg mounts!, the rear shock...remote damper seized!, Seat unit....bad re-spray job from a previous spill, broken mounts under pillion seat pad!, Front fairing, cheap aftermarket replacement....cracked, mounted crooked!, lots of mismatched, burred bolts, and incredibly dirty....

So to fast forward, i pulled the whole bike apart! And am now well into a complete re-build.

What i have done so far.....

Had the frame sand blasted, had the crack welded, had the frame checked for straightness, and then had it re-powdercoated pearl white.

Removed Tyres, Wheel bearing's, valves, etc from both wheels, had them blasted, and powdercoated same pearl white as the frame!

Binned front brake calipers....have a set of later model Yamaha Monoblock 4 pot calipers, from an R6 that will replace old calipers.Binned all brake disc's....have got Asashi Wave disc's to replace. Cleaned up Goodridge braided lines that were already on the bike, including a polish of banjo bolts, and stainless fitting's.

Got myself a brand new set of OEM clip-on's to replace bent clip-on's. Polished both triple clamps to mirror finish. Removed sterring head bearing's, to be replaced with tapered roller bearing's.

Bought as new oem front fairing unit, including OEM headlight, indicators, mirrors, and all stickers in right places. Bought an as new OEM seat unit, with tail light, both seat pads, indicators, and all stickers in right place.

Polished the stainless headers back to as new condition.

Binned OEM rearsets, replaced with a set of Coerce rearsets....nice!

The rear shock & Carbies are off at the shop, being sonic cleaned, and re-built, re-conditioned, including re-powdercoating rear shock spring.

Took very badly stone chipped front forks, removed crappy racetech stickers, rubbed back, filled up, and gave them a paint in gloss black....the fork internals are about only thing on bike that are good....recently had a set of racetech springs, etc put in them. Straightened a lot of bent radiator fins....pulled fan off the back, cleaned both fan & radiator, and gave both some desperately needed new paint.

Swingarm bearings, and rear shock pivot bearing's screwed...so have bought replacement bearing's for both, as i did for head bearing's, and all wheel bearing's!

Lots of bolts on the bike were in a very poor state, and in some cases, were just stuffed, so i have replaced what needs to be replaced, and re-furbished what i can, including cleaning, and polishing every bolt that will go back onto the bike...

Re-painted clutch & brake lever mounting blocks, polished both brake and cluch lever.

Have sourced a secondhand motor, which i will put in the bike when i put it back together, while i re-build the binned motor, with lots of the "good stuff"....

Am in the process of re-building the rear brake caliper right now. Have new sintered pads waiting to go in, when the caliper is back up to scratch...

i would attach some photo's, but i cat work out how to....

coxylaad
Site Sponsor

Re: Semi faithful, ground up restoration project!

Post by coxylaad » Fri May 27, 2011 9:56 am

please learn!
I am sure its not just me that wants to see pictures of the bike!

Wolfman
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Wolfman » Fri May 27, 2011 6:37 pm

coxylaad wrote:please learn!
I am sure its not just me that wants to see pictures of the bike!
I am an admin on another forum with over 12000 posts, and i cant work it out! And i am the original picture whore as well...someone please give me some guidance!!!!

#-o

Jak
Site Administrator

Post by Jak » Fri May 27, 2011 7:05 pm

LOL ... there's a thread here somewhere called Forum Tips .... ahh yes it's in the Site admin/announcements etc section (can't post a link on this damn thing ... will do that later when I'm on a real pc!)
This forum is (and will remain) free of advertising
Please help keep it that way : click here for details of how to donate towards forum costs

dixonj
Site Sponsor

Post by dixonj » Fri May 27, 2011 7:29 pm

This is how i post pictures first of all open an acount on photobucket then you need to up load the photos from your computer to create an album once you have done this select a photo hover the mouse over it and then select img code right click and it will say copied then all you do is paste the photo will appear on your post. that easy if you get stuck email me the picture and i will post for you.

Wolfman
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Wolfman » Sat May 28, 2011 2:05 pm

Ok, a few photo's....

The frame, after we had puled the bike apart....dirty, scratched, rusty, and cracked, just nearthe right passenger footpeg...

The same frame after being sandblasted, welded, and powdercoated....with cleaned up Swingarm attached for storage purposes.

The radiator as itwas when i got the bike!

The radiator after being flushed, &re-sprayed...

Well, that's a start.....

[-o<

Wolfman
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Wolfman » Sat May 28, 2011 2:16 pm

The OEM reasets were pretty much toast! the gearshit side was hanging on by one bolt....the bottom mount was snapped! So a new set of rearsets was in order. Picked up a set of Coerce rearsets....

both the Front & rear brake disc's were screwed....front's about 3.8m thick, and the rear 4.1mm, and deeply scalloped...so new disc's were in order...

The front brake calipers were also very tired, so i thought an upgrade was in order,and i just happen to have a set of Yamaha monoblock calipers sitting around, left over from my last project, that fit perfectly.

:D

Wolfman
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Wolfman » Sat May 28, 2011 2:23 pm

Clip-ons were both bent! New OEM bars...Top trple clamp is off being polished right now.

rubbed back and re-painted clutch & brake lever mounts, here is the clutch side.

Got busy on thebench grinder and polished up the levers....

Have also cleaned & polished justabout everything that i could in termsof bolts, swingarm shaft, axle's, spacers, etc...

Wolfman
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Wolfman » Sat May 28, 2011 2:40 pm

Cleaned and polished Goodridge braided lines...oneof the few things left on the bike that did'nt need that much attention!

Forks, which internalyarealso ok, Have recently been given some racetech fork springs, etc, and should be pretty much plug and play...but they did need a paint.

I also managed to find a fairing set, and seat unit on E-Bay, in exceptional condition...

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Post by trixynut » Sat May 28, 2011 7:41 pm

Brilliant job so far buddy 8)

Lots of hard work going ito it.

Keep the pictures coming.

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Sun May 29, 2011 8:16 am

+1

Wolfman
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Wolfman » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:28 pm

Ok, have got quite a bit further on with the rebuild....

rear shock re-bulit, re-painted, powdercoated, new pivot bearing's, polished, etc....

carbies cleaned, and re-built.

rear brake caliper blasted, and re-built, new pads, etc....

wheels powdercoated.

new brake discs.

"new" swingarm...founda crack in the one that came with the bike!

sub frame polished.

Wolfman
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Wolfman » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:38 pm

Also have done a few other things, bit of polishing.....check out the headers....they came up a treat!

The last photo is what i am basing the new paint job on.....

Wolfman
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Wolfman » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:43 pm

Now, the motor is apart....decided against fitting a "new" secondhand runner, and am instead, going in for a rebuild of motor that came with bike....

Needs a new, or decent secondhand Crank, and one rod...plus big end, and main bearing's....

Am also going to put 1mm oversize pistons in the motor....polish and port the head, a bit of cam work.....

just need tofind a crankshaft,more than anything....

[-o<

Kevtrx849

Post by Kevtrx849 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:10 pm

Very nice work, going to look brilliant when it's completed. Good luck sourcing the engine parts you need.
If everything seems under control
your just not going fast enough.
( HENRY FORD )