The TRX900 Project kicks off

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Racer-unk
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: The TRX900 Project kicks off

Post by Racer-unk » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:11 am

coxylaad wrote:DID YOU KNOW, that the MT09 engine has the same mounting points and is the same width as our trx engine?...

Just putting it out there...

You shitting me....that would be awesome
What about the MT07....should also fit then!

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:09 am

Why would you want an MT07 motor in the TRX?
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

coxylaad
Site Sponsor

Post by coxylaad » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:25 am

my dad has a mt09 tracer and I checked them out last night.

front engine mounts looks like then will mount straight up, and from my rough measuring the rear of the engine will also fit in fine, may need to make some brackets at the back but it looks like nothing will foul. I need to have a look at the chain alignment yet.

reason I checked is that as you can see from my video I am getting demolished on the straights and could do with a few more horse power to limit my losses.
the plan was to rework the 900 engine with cams, flowed head, carrilo rods, 940cc, slipper clutch, ignijet ecu. all that would produce a great motor, but it would also be at least 2 and half grand of work there.

The CP3 engine in the mt09 has 115bhp in stock form and a free flowing exhaust will easily knock it above 120bhp. thats my track day sweet spot, and it satisfies my long lasting philosophy of 'if i need more power, fit a more powerful stock engine.

It may lose a bit of the TRX's identity and that amazing noise it makes but the triple motor can howl when it gets going.

I messaged a guy who is breaking an MT09 last night and it will cost me in the region of a grand to buy a setup including everything I need to get the engine running in the bike. But then I will have a proven TRX900 setup to sell to one of you guys to install into your trx.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:03 am

MT-09 Output specs are close to mine just I have 2Hp less but 10 Nm more torque just off 100Nm.
HP and Torque Peaks on my TRX are about 1000rpm less than the Mt-09 but that comes down to my choice of cam timing.
Even the geometry set up is pretty damm close (if I set the forks level with the top tree) but wouldn't be surprised is the swing arm length has a couple of extra mm tho.
Q/shifter and slipper clutch but I just weigh in about 5kg lighter with 13l of fuel and with race glass.
Might take one for a test ride as a comparison.

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products ... stechspecs

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/ ... Triple.htm
laughter is the best medicine

coxylaad
Site Sponsor

Post by coxylaad » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:27 am

your engine is putting out 115bhp???? really?

I rode my dads tracer and it will comprehensively destroy my trx in a straight line without breaking sweat.

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:40 am

I rode an MT09 on a Yamaha test day and was mighty impressed with the engine but less so the back suspension. The ex track bike with MCT fork internals and Nitron rear was a different animal completely - albeit lower geared than stock, it was soooo grunty and top endy at the same time. Easily lift it's nose in 3rd gear on the throttle - kinda scary first time but a hoot of fun consequently! :lol: More go than a Gen2 Aprilia Tuono and as easily a licence looser!

1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white

Racer-unk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Racer-unk » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:52 am

MT-07 fitting would just be useless info....but info non the less.
Seen MT-09 motors from 750 Quid. without extras...which you will need.

My interest is..... that a MT-09 motor would cost half of what all the upgrade parts and engineering will cost to build a Cobba clone.

coxylaad
Site Sponsor

Post by coxylaad » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:02 am

the other plus is that just by looking at it I think the CP3 engine will be a fair bit lighter than the TDM900 lump.

coxylaad
Site Sponsor

Post by coxylaad » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:04 am

Racer-unk wrote:MT-07 fitting would just be useless info....but info non the less.
Seen MT-09 motors from 750 Quid. without extras...which you will need.

My interest is..... that a MT-09 motor would cost half of what all the upgrade parts and engineering will cost to build a Cobba clone.
yes! thats exact reason I am looking at the mt09 motor install. It will be getting done over the winter.

coxylaad
Site Sponsor

Post by coxylaad » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:05 am

dandywarhol wrote:I rode an MT09 on a Yamaha test day and was mighty impressed with the engine but less so the back suspension. The ex track bike with MCT fork internals and Nitron rear was a different animal completely - albeit lower geared than stock, it was soooo grunty and top endy at the same time. Easily lift it's nose in 3rd gear on the throttle - kinda scary first time but a hoot of fun consequently! :lol: More go than a Gen2 Aprilia Tuono and as easily a licence looser!

more go than a gen 2 aprilia tuono?! really? thats perfect as my rsv only lost a bike length or so to the R1. good news.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:12 am

dandywarhol wrote:I rode an MT09 on a Yamaha test day and was mighty impressed with the engine but less so the back suspension. The ex track bike with MCT fork internals and Nitron rear was a different animal completely - albeit lower geared than stock, it was soooo grunty and top endy at the same time. Easily lift it's nose in 3rd gear on the throttle - kinda scary first time but a hoot of fun consequently! :lol: More go than a Gen2 Aprilia Tuono and as easily a licence looser!
I know the feeling Allen... :lol: :lol: but at the end of the day it's still a TRX, nothing more, nothing less which I like and leaves most scratching their head when a kinda stock looking 20yr old bike just kicked their arse...
The trx always gets the nod as the bike of choice by the ride day staff on my trackdays...

You could go close to matching the stock MT-09 power specs with pistons, cams and head work (if you already have FCr's and exhaust) as most of your power is in the head and combustion chamber.
$1600 for decent pistons and cams and
the world is your oyster on how much flow work you want on the head but even with std valves and good cams timed you can do quite well. Get the std valves and ports flowing well you can find 100-105Hp and an easy 90Nm+ torque
I've just pushed thing a bit further plus the benefit of less reciprocating mass which allows me to use the power more efficiently and get me there faster and that's how I match most of the 1 litre bikes down the straight.

coxylaad
Site Sponsor

Post by coxylaad » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:09 pm

cobbadiggabuddyblooo wrote:
I know the feeling Allen... :lol: :lol: but at the end of the day it's still a TRX, nothing more, nothing less which I like and leaves most scratching their head when a kinda stock looking 20yr old bike just kicked their arse...
The trx always gets the nod as the bike of choice by the ride day staff on my trackdays...

You could go close to matching the stock MT-09 power specs with pistons, cams and head work (if you already have FCr's and exhaust) as most of your power is in the head and combustion chamber.
$1600 for decent pistons and cams and
the world is your oyster on how much flow work you want on the head but even with std valves and good cams timed you can do quite well. Get the std valves and ports flowing well you can find 100-105Hp and an easy 90Nm+ torque
I've just pushed thing a bit further plus the benefit of less reciprocating mass which allows me to use the power more efficiently and get me there faster and that's how I match most of the 1 litre bikes down the straight.
If you are getting the same performance out of your trx as a stock mt09 motor that is very impressive and you deserve a lot of credit =D>

I still would consider tuning the tdm lump, as with the fuel injection and the 43mm throttle bodies I have the injection system should be more than a match for the FCRs for max power. I have ridden both a trx with FCR's 878cc cams and ported head, and also a trx tdm900 lump, 850 head and FCR's and my trx is a match for them, but its still nowhere near the power output of the tracer.

There are 2 reasons I am swinging towards the mt09 engine swap, the first is reliability. being a stock engine I will be quite comfortable in kicking its head in on track and knowing it will just laugh at me and ask for more. If i tuned the tdm lump it would be in the back of my head are there any stressed components going to fail with over revs etc.

the second and the main reason I think I will do it is cost. Tuning the TDM engine to the spec I want will cost me at least 2 and half grand. I can buy a mt09 setup for around 1400 quid, do a bit fabrication work myself and get it fitted, and then have the TDM engine to sell on as a trx conversion. Might end up costing me a couple of hundred quid. its a no brainer really.

and if I wanted more power I could look into tuning the MT lump! (nooooo!)

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:14 am

So what shall be the hybrid name????
If SRX is a single RX
TRX is a twin RX
MTRX maybe????
I remember reading something about the MT coding relating to something about torque????
This could be an interesting concept and a cheap option for you... Good chance your fuel injection wiring harness will easily work with the MT too.
I noticed the MT-09 runs 3 different length intake bell mouths to spread the torque load ...

coxylaad
Site Sponsor

Post by coxylaad » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:02 am

If/when I do it will be using the same design brief as the current 900 motor and fitting the engine wiring loom, sensors clocks and everything required for it to run from the donor bike.

no trx/tdm loom will be left.

funny I was thinking about what it would be when I finished. its slightly ironic that I am returning it to its original capacity. not that it really matters to me but MT-RX is a good one. might get some stickers for it when its done.

Racer-unk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Racer-unk » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:50 pm

Be the first....Build it.
Mt-09 quite scarce in SA. Will take me a year of Sundays to find a broken one.
(Most blokes ride 600 or 1000 fours, or those that ride 1200GS and KTM)
Real men ride twins.