My winter project

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: My winter project

Post by Mincehead » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:44 pm

Best left alone if everythings running nice, no oil burning issues etc, but you could perhaps fit a new cam chain if you don`t know when she last had one.
TRX`s habitually stretch them and it`s not a bad job to do with a new D.I.D cam chain costing around 70 quid, new cam cover nitrile gasket at about 20 quid, oil pumps cover gasket and your time. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

scarfacehugo
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by scarfacehugo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:19 pm

Skip6752008 wrote:
as they say "if it aint broke - dont fit it"
I think you answered your own question

meensy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by meensy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:09 pm

Could you please tell me how you are running the speedo cable drive with the r1 forks? I think I have the same folks on my trx Cheers

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:24 pm

I can tell you and it involves milling off the boss on the inside of the left R1 fork leg, using a Thunderace front wheel and spindle with speedo drive and carefully machining spacers to centre the wheel.
I`ve just fitted a Thunderace front wheel, spindle etc but because I didn`t want to modify the stock R1 forks I tried to machine the speedo drive to get it in. I thought I had it licked but there`s not enough material on the speedo boss and the little bu**ger fell apart.
The steel insert that the helical gear runs on is a press fit into the alloy speedo housing and removing enough material to get the wheel assembly in means it self destructs.
You could take `some` material off the inner left fork leg, leaving less to remove from the speedo drive but then you`ve not got the forks left stock if at a later date you find a cheaper and lighter R1 wheel to fit. So I`m going the digital speedo route now, would have liked to keep the mechanical type but hey it`ll be fine when it`s all done. The rare earth neodymium magnet for the `pulse` pick up fits snuggly in one of the disc bobbins and I`m going to plastic metal fill the back of the bobbin to keep it secure because of expansion and contraction that will occur in the bobbins when the bike`s being ridden and the brakes are used. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

meensy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by meensy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:39 pm

Your mincehead is stacked with knowledge mate cheers. I have used the same forks on my bike running an r1 wheel and discs, I have been scratching my head for some time with regards to this as I want to return my big to a standard ish condition with a few choice mods. Going down the machining route sounds like a fair bit of work but thanks for the heads up.

TRiXy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by TRiXy » Mon May 09, 2011 12:37 pm

Mincehead wrote:I can tell you and it involves milling off the boss on the inside of the left R1 fork leg, using a Thunderace front wheel and spindle with speedo drive and carefully machining spacers to centre the wheel.
I`ve just fitted a Thunderace front wheel, spindle etc but because I didn`t want to modify the stock R1 forks I tried to machine the speedo drive to get it in. I thought I had it licked but there`s not enough material on the speedo boss and the little bu**ger fell apart.
The steel insert that the helical gear runs on is a press fit into the alloy speedo housing and removing enough material to get the wheel assembly in means it self destructs.
You could take `some` material off the inner left fork leg, leaving less to remove from the speedo drive but then you`ve not got the forks left stock if at a later date you find a cheaper and lighter R1 wheel to fit. So I`m going the digital speedo route now, would have liked to keep the mechanical type but hey it`ll be fine when it`s all done. The rare earth neodymium magnet for the `pulse` pick up fits snuggly in one of the disc bobbins and I`m going to plastic metal fill the back of the bobbin to keep it secure because of expansion and contraction that will occur in the bobbins when the bike`s being ridden and the brakes are used. :wink:
I've not had to go down this path, but I'd like to... Would it not be easier to get the R1 speedo cable, and get a 'cable guy' to modify it? to suit the TRX speedo?
Current Rides:
2010 YZF-R1 - Stock, but still awesome.
1995 Import Spec TRX - Yoshi Pipes & Jet Kit

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Mon May 09, 2011 1:02 pm

R1 speedo`s were never cable driven, were they? Answers on a postcard please folks if I`m wrong. :wink:
Thunderace, definately cable driven, as were FZR1000`s but R1`s? :?
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Kayla
Site Sponsor

Post by Kayla » Mon May 09, 2011 1:26 pm

Mincehead wrote:R1 speedo`s were never cable driven, were they? Answers on a postcard please folks if I`m wrong. :wink:
Thunderace, definately cable driven, as were FZR1000`s but R1`s? :?
Yep, the speedo reading is worked out from the front sprocket rpm on R1s :D

Just because you're breathing, it doesn't mean you're alive.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Mon May 09, 2011 1:36 pm

Ahaaaa, cheers for confirming that Kayla.
So....................................
To have cable driven speedo with R1 forks definately requires mods to the inner left fork leg lower (milling off material) and `some` (being careful, they WILL fall apart) off the outside edge of the speedo drive. A Thunderace wheel needs to be used as it has a speedo drive ring in it and is the right size through the bearings for the R1 wheel spindle.
A new wheel spacer on the opposite side wouldn`t be required if the dimensions were carefully worked out, making sure the wheel was still centralised in the forks. :wink:
Because I didn`t want to modify the stock R1 forks to accept an Ace wheel and mechanical speedo drive I`ve decided to go down a digital speedo route.
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Mon May 09, 2011 3:55 pm

For all those hunting a complete R1 front end:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Complete-Yamaha-R ... 1c1b74f308

Now that`s what I call complete! :D
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Skip6752008
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Skip6752008 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:30 pm

G Day

I didn't do any machining to the fork leg or the speedo drive - left it to professionals who know what their doing,,

Promach Eng made a new spindle which stepped down in size to suit the speedo drive and fitted a boss into the fork leg to bridge the size difference. Great job Mike did to.

Hope that helps

Skip

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Mon May 09, 2011 7:48 pm

That front wheel must be a Thunderace wheel or was an R1 wheel machined to encompass a drive plate for the speedo drive? :?
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Skip6752008
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Skip6752008 » Tue May 10, 2011 7:28 am

Correct

Thunderace wheel
Custom spindle
Std Speedo Drive
Std 02 R1 fork legs (Boss in left leg)
Std R1 bottom yoke (03)
TRX stem pressed into Yoke.
Custom top yoke to keep ignition barrel in centre (and looks cool)

Thom
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Thom » Tue May 10, 2011 5:50 pm

I'm actually bidding on that front end so buggar off :P :lol:

Skip6752008
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Skip6752008 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:48 am

Well final assembly is complete and my TRX is Insured MOT'd and Taxed, so one thing left to do is GO HAVE FUN.

I wont bother you all with loads of build photos - me & my dad put the bike together over a weeks holiday, only hassle was wiring loom was a right mess so sourced another of ebay.

So the finished bike looks like........................................this! 8) :D

I will be taking it to Rockingham next Sat for the performance Bike Weekender, which should be good fun if the weather stays dry [-o<