Fitting Blue Spots is EEEEASY

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Dee

Post by Dee » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:49 am

boyso20 wrote:yep top off master cylinder but still soft as. will try to pump it for a few minutes, then on its side and hopefully sort it out. bloody annoying!
I swapped out the original calipers for blue spots and changed to braided stainless hoses. The brakes were still very spongy and it turned out that the master cylinder wasn't in the best of health - Yamaha do an overhaul kit for it, which made the world of difference to my brakes (i.e. I had some!).

dirty trix

Post by dirty trix » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:19 am

Anyone know anything else thats a straight swap? I'm assuming R1 will not be.

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:26 pm

R1 calipers will also be a straight swap, as the bluespot R1 and R6 calipers are exactly the same. In fact, I've got blue spots from a '98 R1 on my bike.

What WON'T fit, BTW are the later gold spot calipers, (although I think very early ones will fit - but it's not worth paying out and taking the risk).

youngy

Post by youngy » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:42 pm

Any bluespot.....R1, R6, Fazer 600 / 1000, T/Cat, T/Ace. (TDM900?)

With the Cat and Ace calipers you don't need to twist the hoses by 90 degrees as the banjo is on the back of the caliper same as the TRX.

dirty trix

Post by dirty trix » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:50 pm

Dee wrote:R1 calipers will also be a straight swap, as the bluespot R1 and R6 calipers are exactly the same. In fact, I've got blue spots from a '98 R1 on my bike.

What WON'T fit, BTW are the later gold spot calipers, (although I think very early ones will fit - but it's not worth paying out and taking the risk).
Pity - I can get gold spots easily and they'd be better bling - the colours fit the gold/black of the bike :(

youngy

Post by youngy » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:04 pm

Gold Spots will fit as long as they're not radials........

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:07 pm

Yup, I've had a check. Early gold spots will fit, it's just the later radial ones that wont. Check out some early gold spots on a TDM:

dirty trix

Post by dirty trix » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:29 pm

How can you tell the difference then?

youngy

Post by youngy » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:33 pm

If you pick up a pair of radial mount calipers the difference is glaringly obvious. The bolts go through from the back of the caliper into the fork leg instead of from the side.

dirty trix

Post by dirty trix » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:36 pm

ok.... that makes sense then. So any standard side mount gold spots should be ok.

twinlovin
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by twinlovin » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:50 am

dirty trix wrote:ok.... that makes sense then. So any standard side mount gold spots should be ok.
Yep :wink: Getting myself a pair of the gold ones too, can't wait.
Tyres are evil and must be punished

dirty trix

Post by dirty trix » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:05 am

Getting a set (gold if they have them otherwise blue) of the Thunderace fronts tomorrow. Have to see if he has back ones for the full matching set.

it's just the pucks within them that are coloured isnt it? They should be replaceable/repaintable....

Peter850
Site Sponsor

Post by Peter850 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:36 am

There are no gold rears made. Gold spots came on 02 R1 and later , and by then the rears weren't "spots " at all. Come to the Laverda day Sunday and you'll see our bikes and meet some local trx'ers. :D
Suncoasttrx in another world.

bobtrx
Site Sponsor

Post by bobtrx » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:52 am

you all talk of changeing the calipers , when I changed mine to blue's I also changed the mastercyclinder\brake lever . I 've heard where not changing the master won't give as good as result ( I maybe wrong ) so if some one is looking to up grade maybe we should say change complete not just the calipers
catch ewe later bob

youngy

Post by youngy » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:33 pm

I've done this on 3 TRX's of mine now.

The first 2 I used the TRX master cylinder and hoses. No problems, felt great, brakes braked etc.

On the current bike I put braided hoses on and found that the stock master cylinder was too much. No feel, very on/off brakes. Fitted a 14mm master cylinder from a ThunderCat and all is well.

I think the hoses are the deciding factor.