R6 Cowling Project...

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

tz250w
TRX-Enthusiast

R6 Cowling Project...

Post by tz250w » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:31 am

Well, the 2002 R6 cowling has arrived and I've discovered that the upper half should be an easy fit. The lower will need to be cut into a belly pan but it looks like it should be possible.

Here is a Photo-chop design in progress... The base photo was taken with the seat and upper cowl attached. I have grafted on a R6 front fender and have 'cut' the lower half and adjusted its position... Oh yeah, the 'screen' is a placeholder...

Version 1.0

Version 1.1 (Some more trimming of the lower and a bit off the bottom edge of the top half)

With the belly pan transparent...

Shit... Just realized I got carried away with my blue screen... Chopped off the end of one of my SP Tadao silencer ends! #-o
TaZ (Max)

tz250w
TRX-Enthusiast

Painting...

Post by tz250w » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:11 am

Playing with paint schemes...

R7 base...

(Not finished... my eyes and fingers are getting sore)

Hi res version...

http://www.eikaiwamax.com/bikes/trx/r6c ... 1large.jpg
TaZ (Max)

tz250w
TRX-Enthusiast

One more...

Post by tz250w » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:45 am

Whew... I'm gonna need glasses... :cyclops:

I'll break my 800X600 picture size rule just this once. Here is what I started with this morning.

And my final edit for the day...

:laughing3:
TaZ (Max)

Sweeeeet
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: One more...

Post by Sweeeeet » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:01 pm

tz250w wrote: I'll break my 800X600 picture size rule just this once.

:sign5:

looks nice by the way :D

tz250w
TRX-Enthusiast

Busy Beaver...

Post by tz250w » Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:39 pm

Geesh... I get a phone call last week and asked to do another track day instructor gig on April 10th. Two weeks to get the bike ready! #-o

So here's the rush job in progress. The cowling is on. Bending the upper support to fit was a bit more troublesome than I had planned on but I think I've finally got it. The under (bellypan) was a matter of trim, check, trim, check, trim, check... Make temp brackets, make more temp brackets, make more... Finally got it all there. The screen is an MRA R6 double bubble. I was going to go with the normal type but I'm glad I got this one, maybe now my head won't bobble so much down the straight.

The bellypan, according to MFJ regulations has to hold the engine's oil capacity in case the sucker decides to blow... It has a dam at the rear.

I ended up cutting the speedometer off the instrument cluster because the support bracket has been narrowed. I'll have to pick up a new instrument case before I put the old girl back on the road.

She'll be going to the track looking like this. I have no time to finish up final trimming and painting. Never good to rush a paint job anyway! (except the little bit of black spray paint to disguise the bulbous seat...) :oops:
TaZ (Max)

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:41 am

Jeez Max that looks superb! How d'ya get it done so quick :?:

I wish I'd gone for the R6 fairing - the R1 route that I've gone down is proving very troublesome and I've had to walk out of the workshop a couple of times to stop me smashing the crap out of the plastics :!:

I'm having to fabricate a complete fairing bracket and a load of other bits as none of the mounts line up. Oh well - hopefully it'll end up looking as good as yours.

what you really need is an R1 seat unit - still got mine going beggin'!