Piston comparison (with MANY pics, be patient while loading)

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Quan-Time
Site Sponsor

Piston comparison (with MANY pics, be patient while loading)

Post by Quan-Time » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:11 am

OK, many obviously know im a fool. I always modify things, and am NEVER satisfied with slightly better.
I read around that many people use JE 878cc kits. Which is a 1.5mm oversize piston. After ringing my local JE supplier (well, ~2200km away, in QLD) i found out that they were "locked" to a supplier somewhere in Europe. And couldnt find out who it exactly was. I had 2 choices.. Find that supplier, hopefully he doesnt make me bleed like a cut pig for them, or get some new custom ones made.
TDM900 i thought.. yer.. they are the same block as TRX, but re-sleeved. So i knew it was very possible to do.

I punched out my old sleeves, got some new ones made. I didnt want nikosil coating, as thats fairly much dependant on the piston / rings you are using. Todays tech doesnt really require it.. Sure its good if you have it, but its not really needed if you use the correct parts all together. Saying that, many factory vehicles still use nikosil, which cant be a bad thing.

3 pistons.. 2 wrist / gudgeon pins. TRX850 on the left, TDM900 in the middle, new 907cc on the right.
TRX is 89mm, JE 878cc kits are 90.5mm, TDM are 91mm, the 907cc are 91.5mm (+2.5mm)
Compression is 10.4:1 - 10.5:1 depending on where you look. The 907cc is 12.5:1
The wrist pin on the left is TRX stock, the right is the new one from JE. I dont have a TDM one for reference, but its same size as the TRX, but its 1mm bigger diameter.

Top view.. You can clearly see the dishing on the TRX and TDM units.
Also note the taper on the TRX gudgeon pin, while the JE doesnt have one. They appear to be the same internal diameter, altho i havnt measured it to confirm

You can clearly see the raised portion of the JE piston. This was measured in accordance with a mold impression of the head that had to be made. If a TRX piston is flat rather than dished, it puts compression to 11.2:1. Which is fine, but since i control spark and am almost complete on the EFI side of things, i know i can run higher compression safely.

The TRX piston. Not the best of shots. But you can see the casting radius and surface quality in this shot. This piston is re-usable. No cracks and only requires cleaning to look like new again. Came off a ~60,000km bike in australia.

Underside. TRX has no land build up at all. Skirt is the widest of the lot, has 5 oiling holes all comming from the inside of the piston. The 4 holes that are above the gudgeon pin hole, go thru to the sides of the pin. I suspect they are for oiling purposes. But thats a guess.

TDM has a little landing support. Side skirt is narrower and has 3 oil holes on the inside, and one on each side of it. The 2 shiny lumps are casting spiggots that have been machined off. They could be machined more and radius'd and cleaned up for additional weight saving if required. The TDM piston is obviously a touch heavier than a TRX. I have not weighed the pistons as yet, but its very obvious.

JE piston has quite a pronounced landing, and the narrowest skirt of the lot. 3 oil holes on the inside, and 2 comming out from a hole drilled thru the 2 raised bits on the landing, at the end of the gudgeon pin hole. You can just see one of the drill holes on the right side of the JE piston, inside the pin hole. The JE also has extensive machining on the bottom. Its actually a "wave" not a pure curved surface. Starts high, drops down, raises up over the pin hole, back down, up high to the other side of the skirt.

Piston heights.. Fairly obvious. TRX the tallest.. Not sure if this has some relevance to diameter. Bigger it is, flatter it gets. You can also see the 5 oil holes in the TRX / TDM pistons in the lower ring hole. You can also make out the 3 in the JE, and one on the left hand side of it.
One thing ill also note, if you pay attention to the top of the piston, to the first ring. Notice that the JE has the thinnest top ? This is to do with emission control. If its too thin it cracks and weakens the piston, but if its too thick, excess oil / carbon stores up and can hurt you on the emission test. This is what ive been told. Ive obviously not tested it as yet. Time will tell.
Also the skirts taper back into the pin area. While the JE is relatively flat in comparison.

Mold impression. Made with fibreglass resin and a thin layer of oil. Assemble the block to the head.. Hold with clamps of some sort, spray a quick squirt of WD40 in, or wipe with some oil on a rag. Make sure you dont have any excess oil pooled up in any corner. Pour in some resin. Wait a few mins, repeat until you have ~15mm (just shy of 3/4" for the mexicans reading this) up the side wall. Let it set for a solid 24hrs as its quite thick. gently twist the head off the cylinder block. gently pry the mold out of the head.. Takes a bit of wrestling, but its possible with a touch of patience.

Well, thats about all for now. Ive got to get the whole lot balanced again. The JE piston is LIGHTER than the TRX unit. Its quite noticable. Ill get a scale and get it all written up about exact weights. Matched with some new Carrillo conrods i already have, it should be fairly solid for most anything i throw at it now.
Oh. The JE piston has 1mm oversize pockets to accecpt oversize valves if required. Which is a nice benefit since 907cc does require a bit more air. So at a future date, ill get that sorted.

Enjoy.
-------------------
I dont have a sig
-------------------

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Re: Piston comparison (with MANY pics, be patient while loading)

Post by phuk72 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:53 am

Good work QT

HansJ
Site Sponsor

Post by HansJ » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:41 am

Wow...

So, the JE piston in the pics is the new 907 and not the old 878? I did weigh the 878s before putting them in, with pins and rings, but seem to have lost the figures somewehere, I'll keep looking.

C'mon, stop teasing, what would the costs be, including sleeves :) (Not that I can justify the investment in a very near future, but who knows...)
IQiokW
*** Stalwart of the Sight ***

steve speed
Site Sponsor

Post by steve speed » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:50 am

the strange thing is that the 878 pistons has a skirt that goes all the way round
TRX850 ,The thinking mans R1

Quan-Time
Site Sponsor

Post by Quan-Time » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:14 am

4 pistons cost me $1254 AUD.. i ordered when it was $1aud for 94c USD.. For some shitty reason it got delayed on the machines and i paid 64c exchange.. so it WOULD have been ~$700 AUD..
anyway, i have 4 of the suckers.. 4 pins, 4 ring sets.. Thats the min order they will do, and only mulitples of.. So a 6cyl car would need to buy 8 pistons.. Inherently annoying.

Piston sleeves were $600. Thats machining new ones, honing to suit. Still gotta get them honed out and matched.. but thats neither here nor there.
Boring your stock sleeves would be ~$50 - 75 AUD per sleeve. So you can see the cost of making new ones.. Need to bore out the block, make new sleeves, heat the block, freeze the sleeves, press together, let them normalise, re-bore, then match to pistons. They were brought into alignment / straightened aswell..
When you replace sleeves, you need to leave the ID slightly undersize so the final result ends up perfect. Its common.. But takes time obviously.

Crank is going off, and is also going to get lightened if possible. Ill have before / after pics of that when its done. I can stroke the crank aswell if i want, BUT the pistons ive designed are stock stroke.. which means they will work in any TRX engine. If i offset the gudgeon pin, anyone using the same pistons would have to shim their block accordingly, and possibly get a new cam chain tensioner to suit.. Also re-time their cams. Which would suck nuts. Its why im not stroking.. But you can stroke it 2mm (1mm on the lobe = 2mm total stroke). puts it around 920cc.. 934cc (+1.5 stroke) would be the limit,, you would also want to relieve some of your inside case.. But its very possible.. Would throw your counter balance weights off i would suspect
-------------------
I dont have a sig
-------------------

Kayla
Site Sponsor

Post by Kayla » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:30 pm

Wow. I love this stuff :D

Right, I either need to stop eating or rob a bank...

Just because you're breathing, it doesn't mean you're alive.

devlin
Site Sponsor

Post by devlin » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:26 am

I love this stuff too!

Quan, a couple of questions.

Would running a crank with full circular lobes and balanced with the pistons/rods allow for the subtraction of a balancer shaft.

and I know this has been asked before but I'm feeling lazy. Do the 900 barrels fit the 850 block?
"Racing is life, everything else is just waiting" - Steve McQueen
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Quan-Time
Site Sponsor

Post by Quan-Time » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:04 am

devlin wrote: Would running a crank with full circular lobes and balanced with the pistons/rods allow for the subtraction of a balancer shaft.
Umm, im only regurgitating what ive read somewhere else, so anyone with better info, correct me where im wrong (and im fairly sure i am.. phuk / honk wanna help out ?)

Balance shafts offset the piston / conrod reciprocating weight. The crank shaft is balanced perfectly, and the lobes are calculated against the weight of the piston / rod / pin / rings. The piston moving up and down is what the counter weights are for. Not the crank.

From what i understand, heavy crank (full circular) "smooths" out your torque curve. At the cost of taking longer to hit a required RPM..
Say you snap open the throttle, in neutral, to 9000rpm. Full crank would take say,, 2 seconds to get there. A fully lightened crank would take 1 second. (these are example numbers, not fact !)
So by cutting down your rotating mass you are reducing the effort required to get from rpm A to rpm B.
On a up shift in gears, you pull the clutch in, and the RPM will obviously drop, taking you out of the power zone. The engine would instantly spool back up to match the current gearbox speed required.. There would be excess load on the clutch assy from what im guessing.
Some WSBK teams use heavy weights where the starter motor used to be. Which is easily changeable. What this does is create more inertia / rotating mass per track. So instead of the engine spooling down between gear changes or whatever, you can keep the revs high and keep them there.
Lightened crank DOESNT increase torque, curve, anything.. all it does is allow the crank to spool up faster. And on my local track which is surprisingly short (1:05 is the record on a aussie super bike last i checked) they use stock cranks for this track. Mainly because the southern loop (hair pin) is notorious for highsides. The engines just spool up too quick. They need a way to slow them down. Heavier cranks is a way of doing it.
devlin wrote:and I know this has been asked before but I'm feeling lazy. Do the 900 barrels fit the 850 block?
Yes, the block however needs to be machined out to accept the new sleeves.
How i did it.. Heat the block up with oxy torch.. not a cutting, but a full blown heating heat.. Big rubber mallet, few blocks of wood.. Turn block up side down, make sure you have enough space to punch the cylinder out without catching on anything.. Heat the alu block. Piece of wood over the cylinder. Hit repeatedly while heating.. Should come out.. Mine did.
Pitty i didnt take a photo of it. But i do still have the old sleeves laying around.
If you were to bore the stock sleeves, they would be coke-can thin. So by making new ones, they accecpt the new pistons, and are the same thickness as stock. I could theoretically bore these out ~1.5mm MORE than what they are. Approx 930cc at a guess. With a slight stroke, i suspect 960 - 970cc is possible. I have no idea how the motor would hold up.
-------------------
I dont have a sig
-------------------

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:27 am

wot he said ^^^^

and yes, the 900 barrells go straight onto the trx lump. You can then use the TRX head and timing etc. 900 pistons will fits the TRX conrods with minor tinkering.

costs comparable with 878 kit but marginally less power due to compression IIRC?

Quan-Time
Site Sponsor

Post by Quan-Time » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:31 pm

TDM900 pistons have 21mm gudgeon pin, while trx has 20mm. So its a bit like a "dick in a sleeve" pardon the expression.

Also the TDM pin centre is 0.5mm lower than the trx, altho its the same rod length. This means the top of the hole to the top of the piston is the same as the TRX.. But the bottom of the hole to the top of the piston is different. If that makes sense.

Umm,, not sure about power due to compression. You can bump compression up a touch if you use a thinner gasket or deck your head slightly. Obviously you would need to adjust your cams accordingly as they would be slightly out. But thats all part of the process of putting the heads back on.
-------------------
I dont have a sig
-------------------

devlin
Site Sponsor

Post by devlin » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:53 am

Cool. Lots to mull over there. With the other thread on crank angle and the subsequent research I did I am starting to put it all together.
"Racing is life, everything else is just waiting" - Steve McQueen
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

rever1
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Piston comparison (with MANY pics, be patient while load

Post by rever1 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:49 pm

were is best place to get big bore kit now ???

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:48 pm

Contact Arias Pistons,
They have them and will make them to whatever compression ratio you choose, bore size 89.5(849cc), 90, 90.5, 91mm(878cc).

They will match the std TRX piston weight (within a couple of grams) so no need to re balance the crank plus they easily accommodate 1mm oversize valves. If your running 2mm oversize valves just let them know as they will take off the material needed when making the pistons.
Pistons are a 2618 forged flat top piston (shallower valve reliefs aid in flame front burn speed) with a low friction slipper skirt (similar skirt style to the std TRX piston)
I sold a number of 12;1 piston kits over the last 3 yrs.

In comparison, the JE 878 are a full skirt domed top forged piston with deeper valve reliefs due to the domed top , 10.5:1 compression ratio. 48grams heavier than std
laughter is the best medicine

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:22 am

ARIAS FORGED PISTON

laughter is the best medicine