Bafflectomy

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Trx envy
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Bafflectomy

Post by Trx envy » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:25 am

Anyone gutted the stock cans completely and converted to traditional "absorbtion", or "straight through" or "race" mufflers (whatever the terminology is) using perforated tube and packing material such as Acoustafil? Is it possible?

I'm guessing the trick would be separating the front end from the can and getting it back on again. Might require shortening slightly to hide the cut?
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/hasAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:16 am

Keep the standard pipes for RWC and selling time and grab some aftermarket jobs. Not that expensive.
Try Ken at Megacycle:
http://www.megacycle.com.au/
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

Rod.s
Site Sponsor

Post by Rod.s » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:31 am

Trx envy wrote:Anyone gutted the stock cans completely and converted to traditional "absorbtion", or "straight through" or "race" mufflers (whatever the terminology is) using perforated tube and packing material such as Acoustafil? Is it possible?

I'm guessing the trick would be separating the front end from the can and getting it back on again. Might require shortening slightly to hide the cut?
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/hasAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg
Total fallacy gutting the cans...most motorcycles are designed so that the whole system, carbs, airbox, exhaust and mufflers work together to give a broad spread of power, by gutting the cans all you will achieve is more noise and that's what most people perceive as more power. This is the same for the airbox (designed to achieve optimal resonace for the CV carbs) etc, as these engines run CV carbs and there is very little you can do to rase HP. If you want more noise fit aftermarket mufflers (the originals are getting harder to find), If it's more HP...then stick it on a Dyno and then tune the engine/carbs etc, this will optimise the HP available and give a smooth delivery of power with good fuel economy.

For more HP fit FCR's and start spending $$$$$$$$. Most fit 41mmFCR's which work very well in the mid to high RPM, I personally like the 39mm FCR as it will give better flow at useable RPM as well as giving great HP increase in the mid to high RPM, to unleash all the HP from the FCR's fit a complete quality aftermarket exhaust system designed for the TRX and a cold air box with pod filters.

The TRX is more about smooth torquey riding than outright power, grab a smooth, twisty, climbing and mid speed road and the bikes secretes are exposed, I'll constantly embarrass much faster bikes, I stay in touch with litre bikes over my favourite 47K's of road, the crazy or super experienced riders will always get away from me... :lol: :lol: These will never be an outright rocket ship unless you spend huge $$$$$ if that's what you bought the bike for you'll be disappointed :wink:

Once again change your thinking with the TRX, rebuild the rear shock, as most are over 20 years old and the oil is well and truly stuffed, fit a quality spring to suit your weight (these shocks were made when Yamaha owned Ohlins so incorporated their designs wisdom).
Same with the front end, new oil, better spring to suit you weight, emulators, blue spot callipers and master cylinder and then ride the wheels off it :D

These will always be a 1995 design and that's what some people forget...
If it's not made in China, it's a fake!

Trx envy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Trx envy » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:27 am

^ Yeah really just chasing the extra noise on the cheap. I agree 100% about the desirable characteristic of the trx power delivery. I loved the one i rode yesterday. Felt at home on it straight away. Took the 900rr for a belt this morning,, up to 8000rpm it probably similar power delivery as the trx, but after that it wants to go apeshit. Coupled with the slightly more aggressive seating position and all round feel of the bike, its actually not that great around town. Its not relaxing. Id hate to ruin the power delivery of the TRX but fuk'n love the noise. I wouldnt chop up the mufflers it comes with as they are mint. If i find a pair at the wreckers i might see what i can do. Dont really want to spend money on it. Just keep it running sweet and looking clean.
Thanks for the excellent advice. The bike actually felt quite agile, but yes I might get the forks rebuilt with emulators at some stage and the shock redone too. The bike felt pretty nicely set up for my weight. Probably just go a bit stiffer in front.
Thanks again for the insights. Cant wait to pick this bad boy up.

Trx envy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Trx envy » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:54 am

davamb wrote:Keep the standard pipes for RWC and selling time and grab some aftermarket jobs. Not that expensive.
Try Ken at Megacycle:
Yeah I'd be loath to adulterate the mint cans on it. Thanks for the link. Will give him a bell and see whats up.

Rod.s
Site Sponsor

Post by Rod.s » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:00 am

Trx envy wrote:
davamb wrote:Keep the standard pipes for RWC and selling time and grab some aftermarket jobs. Not that expensive.
Try Ken at Megacycle:
Yeah I'd be loath to adulterate the mint cans on it. Thanks for the link. Will give him a bell and see whats up.
Put a wanted add on the forum, you'd be surprised what's out there...If you're fitting aftermarket, make sure they are long enough to keep the resonance behind you, there's a fellow TRX owner that has a set of shorter StainTunes on his and the sound is amazing but it kills his ears after 1/2hr which spoils an otherwise great ride.
If it's not made in China, it's a fake!