under bike exhaust

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

madivi
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: under bike exhaust

Post by madivi » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:54 pm

phuk72 wrote:Yes it will - jacking up the rear end will compress the shock and also change the angle of the swing arm at the pivot
Alright, had not considered this. So changed linkage levers would give me a softer rear end?
I had felt it like being harder (but haven't really driven it).

What has given me more headache is the soft fork (and my weight :oops: ).
Last edited by Jak on Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to make the quote work ;-)
(My profile is still as stock as my Trixie is, this might change)

haggisbash
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by haggisbash » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:31 pm

If you are talking having the exhaust look like a Buell surely you can hide the correct header length inside the can? This will keep the overall length down but will mean no straight thru system which might be too quiet for a TRX :D So you would have something like what you find in a typical oval type car muffler 'cept have the outlet to the side a la Buell. Looks do-able but I'd rather try a 2-1-2 system with both pipes exiting on the right into two stubby reverse cone megaphones. I know what I have in mind wouldnt get pass the WOF test here but it would sound different to all the can equipped TRX's. Look up earsplitters exhausts to see/hear what I mean :twisted:

gregs656
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by gregs656 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:37 am

a lot of folks reckon if you keep the changes equal then you will get a neutral result, which is probably true to some degree, this is quite a big change though and I would expect there to be some difference. Biggest problem is going to be clearance if the motor sat parallel to the ground i don't think that would be a problem.
The Hunt Continues . . .

Number8
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Number8 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:12 am

Well ive been trying for most of the week to sort some kind of underbike zaust

and failed , as far as i can tell it cant easily be done , 2 things because its a drysump bike u don't get the normal huge gap behind the sump that u normally get on wet sump bikes, which in simple terms means there's about 2/3's less room to play with
The second thing is the sodding suspension linkage, hanging down in the way all the time !!! no combination of pipework and cans that i could muster , and for anyone thats seen my garage that's alot!

i Even went as far as fabricating a totally bespoke back box that wrapped round the suspension linkage , but to get it so u had sufficient ground clearance means that it was so small it did little to no silencing , ive tried so many things radical and not and unless u want it so loud u might as well just be running the downpipes its not possible
the only reason is lack of space under the bike and anything that comes close to standard silencer size infringes on the ground clearance !

So the argument about lengths is irrelevant cos there just inst the room!

so i settled for this

oh and ignore the 2-1 section ... ahem i ran outa 1' 75th pipe so i had to bodge that up ..... got some on order :D

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg26 ... 63a5b0.flv
thats a short vid of the can running , its sorta loud but ive heard worse
Booo
AHAHAH
Ignore my spelling and grammar , theres a reason i ride a bike for a living !

gregs656
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by gregs656 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:36 pm

not going to have any clearance issues with that :lol:

looks good
The Hunt Continues . . .

bobtrx
Site Sponsor

Post by bobtrx » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:47 am

8 Look'n at your pic with the wrapped headers , what is the reason for round piece between the down pipes
catch ewe later bob

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:03 am

bobtrx wrote:8 Look'n at your pic with the wrapped headers , what is the reason for round piece between the down pipes
As they come from me so.....
Think it was covered before but perhaps on the old forum, it´s to cancel out the backpulses...very simply put.
Gives a tad more low omphhh.

Number8
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Number8 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:21 pm

Killerwhale wrote:
bobtrx wrote:8 Look'n at your pic with the wrapped headers , what is the reason for round piece between the down pipes
Think it was covered before but perhaps on the old forum, it´s to cancel out the backpulses...very simply put.
what kw said .....

seems to sot out my fueling a treat 2 ...

i always had a small hesitation after being on the throttle for ages if u shut of completly then got back on it quickly there was always a moments hesitation .... thats all gone now .

also from my rudmentry knoledge of exhaust gas flow speeds and such the thing on the front also acts like a expansion chamber greating greater backpressure on the exhaust valves , so turnng the exhaust pulses into uesfull back pressure ... or sumit like that :D

seems to work a treat tho
funny riding in the rain with the wrapped headers , when u stop at lights etc u steam quite alot ... i got caught out coming back from my parents yesterday!!

oh yea and the pics in the folder of the stubby can thingy , would u belive that was quiter than the current setup!!!
Booo
AHAHAH

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:56 pm

Number8 wrote:
Killerwhale wrote:
what kw said .....

seems to sot out my fueling a treat 2 ...

i always had a small hesitation after being on the throttle for ages if u shut of completly then got back on it quickly there was always a moments hesitation .... thats all gone now .

also from my rudmentry knoledge of exhaust gas flow speeds and such the thing on the front also acts like a expansion chamber greating greater backpressure on the exhaust valves , so turnng the exhaust pulses into uesfull back pressure ... or sumit like that :D

seems to work a treat tho
funny riding in the rain with the wrapped headers , when u stop at lights etc u steam quite alot ... i got caught out coming back from my parents yesterday!!

oh yea and the pics in the folder of the stubby can thingy , would u belive that was quiter than the current setup!!!
Glad it worked for you 2!
I´m going to get my MAB system done as well but they have to be welded mounted as the pipes are individual...
Going to wrap the pipes as well!

(you should have seen the smoke just after having it done!!!!!!) 8-[

madivi
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by madivi » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:34 pm

Just to give an idea what it might look like.
Silencer extends aft engine mount
about 12 cm static clearance (as long as I mind the middle of the roundabout :) )
look at it without the left one
not seen, but oilfilter is a problem too (silencer needs a dent)

Doesn't look so bad after all? [-o< [-o< [-o<

Number8
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Number8 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:30 pm

hey i know them ... set od stnadard cans from a r1100s :D

and i still rekon when u take it off the paddock/axle stand's and then out ya weight on it its gonna have issues , i tried a very similar idea with a homemade can that was much smaller diamater than most

ive actaully got a set of standard cans from a r1100s in the garage some where ..... ile have a play tommra, wonder if u could split them at one end and and have one either side of the bike .....

my bike when sitting on it is 222mm from the floor to the bottom of the metal swing arm mount thingy , and ve got a yzf swinger n shock so it a bit taller than most

if it dose werk kool , but i still think ya gonna have issues
Booo
AHAHAH

idl1975
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by idl1975 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:40 am

Killerwhale wrote:
bobtrx wrote:Time to play again , I want to do a exhaust system under the bike like a buell etc. I have standard headers and Over system to work out header lengths but don't have any info on muffler dimensions to suit . is there a distance from collectot to muffler Is there a formula , can anyone help in this area
Kinda like "froggies" bike!?
Is this by any chance the ""Akrapovic"" system currently advertised on e-bay uk? Looks suspiciously similar... :shock:
-----

'04 Aprilia Tuono Fighter
'00 Scooby Sport Wagon

'76 TY250.

madivi
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by madivi » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:04 pm

Number8 wrote:...and i still rekon when u take it off the paddock/axle stand's and then out ya weight on it its gonna have issues ...
I'm not having it on stands. Two stands are just keeping the bike from falling on either side.
So what's missing is just my subtle :lol: weight.

I'll direct the exhaust gases downwards to get more lift :wink:

funnymachine
Site Sponsor

Post by funnymachine » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:22 pm

I bought the "French" exhaust and I met Youngy and had a look at his full Akro system.

The headers on the one I have are shortened to get it under the bike as is the can which has been modded and welded on.

I think it will work okay for what I am building but may be a tad loud.

I'll found out once I get the springs and things.

If you want comprehensive pics of it or measurements just ask (PM me)

Best

Mark
TREX CHOP https://plus.google.com/photos/11370369 ... hYfRufO6Kg
Funky little road rage
Television man is crazy saying were juvenile deliquent wrecks
Oh man I don't need tv when I gotta TRX

bobtrx
Site Sponsor

Post by bobtrx » Thu May 08, 2008 10:05 am

Went and seen a local exhaust bloke about making a system , turns out he's into bikes and wants to do track days so we got on pretty well . Exhaust work starts after Oran Park day with the boys and from what we have come up with so far it is looking OK using oval mufflers etc . I've had a play with one of my earlier cans and moving the headers to suit
catch ewe later bob