TR1X coil update

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Quan-Time
Site Sponsor

TR1X coil update

Post by Quan-Time » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:05 am

OK,, As many of you know, altho some might not, I have a 2000 R1 yammy swinger in the TRX.
I had to shorten it ~73mm to make it the same length as the TRX swinger. While it was long, it was SOOO stable, but it turned like a bus and handled almost the same.

Here is the shortened item after extensive mods.. I think buried in the forum is my worklog in which i listed the process of modding it.. If not i can upload some more pics for ppl interested.

To get the R1 coil to operate the way it should this is what i have done to my subframe.
Note: by saying "should" i mean compressing the coil at the same ratio of a R1 rather than a TRX.. From my math (which isnt the best, but im still confident here) the TRX is a NEGATIVE ratio coil while the R1 is a POSITIVE compression coil. Heres what i mean..

For every 1mm of travel the swingarm does, measured at the wheel axle, the TRX coil compresses approx 0.8mm.. While the R1 does closer to 2mm.. This means the R1 is approx 2:1 while the trx is closer to 1:1.25

What does this mean ? well, the TRX is harder to compress than the R1.. If i was to put a R1 coil in the TRX under the standard "banana knuckle" setup, sit on the seat with the preload set to "omg im pregnant" and the compression set to "sumo-wrestler" its still very.. it feels like you have a balloon for a shocky.. it just deflates and bounces HEAPS. hell, i bottomed it out.

Enter the R1 coil changeover mod.. Im sure you get the idea.. Camera i used was set to webcam mode, so its 1mp or somethin, and "indoor" settings, thus it looks shit'e. Hope you get the idea.. Ive tried to show how much movement is possible.

Ive also made an adjustable dogbone to raise / lower the whole lot now.

It handles SOOO much better.. Preload is set to the pregnant and its so stiff its crazy.. sure it moves, and it still rides WAY better than a stock TRX (imo this is) but it was set on that from before the mod.. Ill start to tweak it back to where it should be..

Either way, im VERY happy with the result.. enjoy.
-------------------
I dont have a sig
-------------------

billy budge
Site Sponsor

Post by billy budge » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:47 pm

Top work there quan..as ever!!

You are a clever little pixie arent you, wouldnt personally have the cahones to tackle something like that.
Must be an aussie thang as my best buddy from wollongong is forever breaking good stuff just to see if he can make it better out of interest!! :?

By the way is that dirty rainwater and shite like that all over that lovely looking arm?? Man that thing should be wrapped up and in the front room with you at nights. :lol:
speeding?......me?.......with my reputation?

Quan-Time
Site Sponsor

Post by Quan-Time » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:21 am

yes it was actually mud splash back.. its fairly much all gone now..

Its def an aussie thing to pull appart something that is still working, just to see how it works,, and if (usually WHEN) you break it putting it back together, you refine it.

its the gold and green way !

Cheers for your comment.. I have a tank mounted camera now.. And i have a track day comming up soon. Im gonna record a hot lap (well, a semi-warm-lap in my case) and post it for some fun.. im by no means a good racer, but its always good to see race tracks from around the world.. and not a birds eye view, but actually strapped to the riders seat view !

see how we go.
-------------------
I dont have a sig
-------------------

billy budge
Site Sponsor

Post by billy budge » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:45 am

SWEEEEET!!!!! 8)

Go the green and gold. Look foward to that mate but beware the onboard camera curse!!
speeding?......me?.......with my reputation?