Tail Light Mod

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

tz250w
TRX-Enthusiast

Tail Light Mod

Post by tz250w » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:18 am

I did this a while back after looking around for some way to snug up that brick of a tail light that came stock on the TRX...

Basically, it's a LED replacement unit for a universal dirtbike tail lamp. The two LEDs that are bent down are white for the license plate illumination and the rest are red when lit. The pictures should explain the operation...

The shiny stuff is some stainless steel sheet with an adhesive backing that is sold over here for sticking on the wall behind your cooking range. I just put it there for a little reflection but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.
TaZ (Max)

Wombat
Forum Marsupial

Post by Wombat » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:16 am

:?: Max,

Can you do this tail light mod (cutting down the plastic lens) with the conventional bulbs, rather than LED or do you risk melting the plastic?

regards
Wombat
Red '97 TRX / gold wheels
"The fire is almost out......and there's nothing left to burn!"

tz250w
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by tz250w » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:02 pm

I think you'd probably end up melting the plastic. There's not a whole lot of clearance there. Also, you'd run into the problem of trying to seal it up. Not only that, but you'd never get it close to flush with the tail cowl.

The LED is self sealed, you can stick it in a bucket of water and it will lite up.
TaZ (Max)

Wombat
Forum Marsupial

Post by Wombat » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:57 am

:wink: Yeah, that's why I'm thinking of going with a "cat's eye" LED tail light (dimensions are 118 x 33 x 38mm thick) integral running/tail/brake light. Should fit nice and snug and look good too! There's a mob here in Sydney - AMC Motorcycle Components - that sell the unit for about $68 AUD. I think their address is http://www.amcmotorcycles.com.au - then look for the headlight/indicator menu - I think its called LED Lite Diskrite

Wombat
aka Bob

Wombat
Forum Marsupial

Post by Wombat » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:53 am

Max, with the LED taillight, did you run a relay, or not worry about it?
I'm thinking of buying a ready made cat's eye unit or building up a cut down R1 unit with a set of 19 point LED bayonet globes (which I already have) a bit like Kev's taillight conversion.

Wombat

tz250w
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by tz250w » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:01 am

No, I just ran it off the wires that normally run to the tail... Never even bothered to check if there's a relay! lol

I wouldn't think it would be necessary, besides the LED units should draw much less power.
TaZ (Max)

Lada.s

Post by Lada.s » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:37 pm

It looks very nice.... :D :D