E-Shift

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

HolerTogni
Site Sponsor

Re: E-Shift

Post by HolerTogni » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:28 pm

Hey Dave!

Already in the last video I found the gear changes very "natural" regarding the movement and speed of the gear lever.

This alone was very great work.

But now with the manual shifting and also allowing automatic gear upshift depending on the revs it's nothing less than brilliant!

Also very nice to see that the downshift is only "preselected" and executed when pulling the clutch lever.

Very very very well done!

I'm sure you could sell this and (hopefully) make quite a lot of money and other riders in need of such a miracle shifting device very happy.

Overwhelmed greets from Munich!
Nothing against four cylinders:
TRX 850 & Racetrack-TRiXie :twisted: 8)

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:25 pm

Thanks guys,

seems like you enjoyed it as much as I did. It is just soooo much fun. Looking forward to that PI track day now!

Looking back at the video of the fluffed 1st to 2nd shift, it does look like it held initially. I had programmed in a 100ms "hold" before returning the lever back to its home position. I will try extending that, ideally making it something the end user could program themselves, to see if my hypothesis is valid. Maybe there's a time where the load is completely taken-up and the shift won't bounce out? Any gearbox gurus here? (Hey, where's Cobba these days?)

Preselect isn't the only way to downshift Jochen, just the most convenient really. It does allow "normal" downshifting if it finds the clutch is in when you press the button, so you can hold the clutch in and shift down (or up) to any gear you wish. If the clutch isn't in when the down button is pressed then it schedules a pre-select for when the clutch is next operated. Then you just do your normal "clutch and throttle blip" while it takes care of the gearshift. If you upshift before then, any pending pre-selects are cancelled. Hope that makes sense.

Needless perhaps to say that (nearly) all upshifts don't care about the clutch. Each one tells the Ignitech to drop a couple of sparks, without requiring a sense switch in-line with the gear rod thingy. It knows when it should tell the Ignitech to skip a couple of firings and ALWAYS tells it to do so when upshifting. It'll happily operate without an Ignitech of course, but you'd be missing out on a whole lotta fun!

Ok, so I said "nearly" all upshifts, Neutral is an exception. It will NOT allow you to get out of neutral unless the clutch is in. That goes for N to 1st and N to 2nd.

Sorry Dicky, that's a bit out of my area of expertise. Plenty of firewood for next winter though by the sound of it!
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:04 pm

Bessie TRX + eShifter went well yesterday at the PI trackday. Some issues, but nothing unreasonable. My cranky old carcass maybe not so well. Bit stiff today, but chuffed with the results! Will post up the story later. Yes, yes, there will be pics for the unbelievers!
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

HolerTogni
Site Sponsor

Post by HolerTogni » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:14 am

Hi Dave!

First, I wish you a very good - and especially very healthy- new year!

Obviously, 2023 had already a good start at PI!

Then I cannot say enough how impressed I am by your work and how happy I am with your work being such a success!

Now you can lean back with a big grin on your face, let your bones and muscles relax and sort out the details (what I'm sure of, you will soon).

Enthusiastic greets from Munich!

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:32 pm

Thankyou Sir and all the best to everyone here for the New Year and also for your support.

Couple of PI pics:

Words to follow later when I get a sec...
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:09 am

Gone to push-pull cable operation and whole unit is now in the pilion seat compartment.

Dang, meant to do a write-up on the track day experience. Better get on with it.
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:20 pm

Been very busy with EShift:
Designed a PCB, had it manufactured as a panel of 10 PCBs, had 2 made and ran off one panel on the production line at Unite Audio.
Had a case 3D printed, this is as compact as I can make it.
Worked with my mech eng brother to make producion-quality driving and driven pulleys.
Designed a precision gear position sensor so now EShift knows what gear it is in at all times.

https://youtu.be/21A4jI9UsRE?si=KgGc3igd1eJTvg1u

I'm working on a variant for the Tuareg 660 and then I'll have to start looking at the S1000RR...
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

HolerTogni
Site Sponsor

Post by HolerTogni » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:29 pm

Hi Dave!

Veeery nice to read from you again!

Your E-Shift project seems very well progressed and fit for (small) series / mass production! =D>

Hats off to you!

"Wishing you a big success with it" - greets from Munich!

PS:
By the way - it could be well worth to check whether something patentable is in this whole solution.
That said - it should be something not obvious from the videos published ...