R1 fork service.

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Bucko
TRX-Enthusiast

R1 fork service.

Post by Bucko » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:41 pm

Hello, I’m servicing the R1 4XV forks fitted to my TRX, they have always felt a bit harsh for normal UK road use for me. Has anyone got any recommendations for oil weight, air gap, spring specs and just general settings for the preload, compression and damping, thanks Steve.

jjmoto
Site Sponsor

Re: R1 fork service.

Post by jjmoto » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:04 pm

had mine set up at MCT for my weight (11st) got all the details somewhere can WhatsApp them over

Bucko
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Bucko » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:27 pm

Thanks, I’ve put 10W oil in , but slightly less than recommended to give an air gap of 85mm, recommended is 78mm, will probably try a touch less preload, compression and rebound too.

jpe70
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by jpe70 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:43 pm

Bucko wrote:Thanks, I’ve put 10W oil in , but slightly less than recommended to give an air gap of 85mm, recommended is 78mm, will probably try a touch less preload, compression and rebound too.
Preload is basically height, just set it to about 35 mm static rider sag to start with. Then try out Comp and Rebound. Keep in mind that what you change is the SPEED of the movement, not how much it moves. So if the ride is too harsh, you could have too much Comp making it slow to react and too little Rebound making it bounce back too fast. For example.

The lesser oil amount you have put in will also make the fork less progressive, meaning it will slow down less at the end of the stroke.