Opening up stock exhuast cans.

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

gurunik
TRX-Enthusiast

Opening up stock exhuast cans.

Post by gurunik » Mon May 25, 2020 10:53 am

New custodian of a 1995 trx. Pure lust stage. Question is, can you open up the stock cans at bit (not lots) for a tad more noise, or will that end in pain? Yet to dive in, so thought I'd ask this font of knowledge first... I'm not talking more hp, just pure poser sound really...;)

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Re: Opening up stock exhuast cans.

Post by dicky » Mon May 25, 2020 11:54 am

If you have stock cans and they are in good nick then it'd be a sin to butcher them.
They might be worth more than the rest of the bike.

Realistically, you'll be into the back end of the stock cans with a sabre saw or similar, and gain two fifths of fsck all in 'coolness'.
Buy a cheap set of cans from the usual scumbags and keep the stock ones for Justin.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

gurunik
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by gurunik » Mon May 25, 2020 12:22 pm

Thanks Dicky, exactly what I was after. I'll leave them alone and look for something else. Any recommendations?

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by dicky » Tue May 26, 2020 12:33 am

Only at the expensive end of the range. Full Akra if you like 2-1, Staintune for the stock 2-2 look.
There are heaps of cheap brands available on ebay but I know nothing of them.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

Red Rex
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Red Rex » Tue May 26, 2020 3:50 pm

In my youth I did mod a set of stock cans to release a few more decibels (Search for "Bafflectomy" on this site), bit since then have picked up a pair of 'stock' cans plus a pair of MTC after-market cans with removeable baffles.
Have to say, the bafflectomy put a smile on my face :-) , until it was time for the MOT and I suddenly realised I needed legal cans.
Rubber side down, Red side up is my preferred riding style.

Rod.s
Site Sponsor

Post by Rod.s » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:57 am

If you must have more noise, I have a set that has been modded that's available (4UN). The original 4NX1 (stamped on the inner side of the muffler) have a 25mm outlet the newer 4UN (Oz) have a 30mm outlet and sound meater :D. Although my 1995 JDM does sound sweet at full song with the OEM mufflers fitted. I've an Akrapovic 2-1 which is amazing but I'll lose my licence with it as it's addictive throttling on to listen to the sound and also had a twin set of Yoshimura's fitted to my 1999 bike and they were very nice indeed!

Lately I'm in stealth mode with the abundance of revenue raisers on the road it pays to keep quite!! :evil:
If it's not made in China, it's a fake!

gurunik
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by gurunik » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:36 pm

I'm warming to the stock cans,they are not to obnoxious about town, but sound the goods on song. Cant spring for aftermarket atm, but will source another set and modify to my liking. still got some 2" baffle pipe in the rack. Cut the arse out, make a new end cap that takes the original shiny bits and play with it..... Anyone done this road?

Trx envy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Trx envy » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:25 am

^ if you are handy and cant source stockies for cheap to cut up, these are pretty nice: https://trrautoparts.com.au/product/bike-muffler-2/
1 3/4" , really nice quality for chinese shite, looks like a staintune. I bought a pair and made link pipes, sound great. I opened them up to repack but no need. There are 2" ones too but twice the price for some reason.