Tail light conversion/upgrade idea

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

PeteJ
TRX-Enthusiast

Tail light conversion/upgrade idea

Post by PeteJ » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:38 pm

Since getting my bike, the boxy standard tail light has kind of bugged me and I considered trying to get it in more like others have done. However, I spotted a universal light model that I liked and thought that it might suit the TRX tail quite nicely. So I bought two of them and have come up with this as my working prototype: http://imgur.com/a/SUGZAkS
The lights sit just a little too high and I'll have to adjust the mounting hole position and shave a bit off of the plastic backing plate I used. Otherwise it works nicely and the lights are significantly brighter than stock, which is a given as they are LED lights. If only the headlight could be as bright, mine is terrible even with a new bulb.
Anyway, what do you think? Yay or nay?

jpe70
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Tail light conversion/upgrade idea

Post by jpe70 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:25 pm

Nay... Sorry. :roll:

I don't mind the blocky light, it fits the bike. Just have an issue with the fact it protrudes so far... So I moved it in. It's common to place it flush, but that doesn't look right either so I went halfways for a much better experience (in my opinion).

http://www.trx850.com/phpBB_forum/viewt ... 45#p122242

PeteJ
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by PeteJ » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:41 am

Haha, that's ok, I don't mind hearing differing opinions.
We all see things a bit differently and that is good, I think.
Your idea is nice too but I didn't want to cut anything yet before I explored this option first. I am going to live with it for a little while and see if I change my mind or not about mine.
Any ideas for better headlight performance?

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tarwetijger » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:52 am

jpe70 wrote:Nay... Sorry. :roll:

I don't mind the blocky light, it fits the bike. Just have an issue with the fact it protrudes so far... So I moved it in. It's common to place it flush, but that doesn't look right either so I went halfways for a much better experience (in my opinion).

http://www.trx850.com/phpBB_forum/viewt ... 45#p122242
:withstupid: :salute:

HolerTogni
Site Sponsor

Post by HolerTogni » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:33 pm

PeteJ wrote: ...
Any ideas for better headlight performance?
Either interconnect a relais between the switch and the headlight and/or mount a projector headlight - some Bimota and some Yamahas fit.
Just do a quick search on here to find out which in detail - don't remember right now.

Alzheimer greets from Munich!
Nothing against four cylinders:
TRX 850 & Racetrack-TRiXie :twisted: 8)

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tarwetijger » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:47 pm

FZR projector headlight, fitted with xenon or LED.
Something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-FZR-100 ... 3970987384

PeteJ
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by PeteJ » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:01 pm

Excellent, thanks for the tips, I'll try and find one locally first.

eds850twin
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by eds850twin » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:00 pm

If you want a vast improvement for the headlight then i suggest you buy a HID ( high intensity discharge) Xenon kit which are now available for the TRX for around £50 on the usual auction site.
Comes with a slime ballast etc which is easily mountable & is plug & play to fit with simple instructions. No cutting into original loom.
I purchased one several months ago for my TRX as the standard light beam especially on unlit roads reminds me of the 6 volt headlight Yamaha used on the FIZZY 50 years ago, it's probably one of the worst headlights fitted to a 1990's model of bike i have ridden & i've had a few & is the only bad point about riding the TRX at night & when cornering the beam just disappears. A mate fitted one of these kits last year when they more money, to his FZR1000RU xup which has virtually the same headlight & the difference is vast. Hoping to get mine fitted in the next few weeks.
ED