Classic Silencers

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

maccers
TRX-Enthusiast

Classic Silencers

Post by maccers » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:52 pm

Am thinking of getting a set of these, kind of like the look. Seems they will fit with some pipe matching and are aprox the right length. Am running standard pipes and cans right now, so have no idea if these will impact the running of the motor, back pressure etc.

https://www.classicbikepartscheshire.co ... long-p3023

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Re: Classic Silencers

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:01 am

The main impact when changing the cans is how much you open them up as such.
40mm outlet will still give you good low/midrange with minimal impact on the top end.
Go to 50mm and you begin to loose exhaust pulse velocity down low so you may find you’ve lost 3 or 4 hp at 3,000 rpm but picked up 1 or 2 hp at 7500rpm.
The length will impact on the scavenging nature so again you go shorter you may loose 1 or 2 HP at 7500rpm.
So you can imagine worse case a shorter can with 50mm outlet may not change top end and only rob you of HP in the midrange.
You’ll gain more power over the rev range by dropping the main jet from a 142.5 to 137.5.
They run horribly rich from std.
While at it get 1m of 7mm copper core hi tension cable and replace the plug leads.
They simply screw onto the plug caps and the coils.
Remove the 10k resistor from the plug caps too and replace with a solid piece of brass or cut a bolt to length.
laughter is the best medicine

maccers
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by maccers » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:27 am

Thanks for the detailed reply, the bike did come with two Renegade pipes that have a link pipe going from 38mm to 51mm, the baffles are not in and are very loud, hence I put the standard ones back on. I did recently get a kit for my XRR1200 standard silencers where you remove the baffle and insert a new one that slightly shorter and wider, it looks standard but gives the bike the engine note a 1200 IL4 should have!!

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:49 am

You could just repack the renegades and slip in a baffle depending if using for big revs or midrange torque.
A local muffler shop could easily make up something to slip in to reduce to 40mm
laughter is the best medicine

maccers
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by maccers » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:04 pm

That’s what I was thinking, get some link pipes made up. The cans themselves are not that expensive either so not a huge loss if it looks/sounds or rides horrid!!