Clutch Take-up Point and After market kits

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Trx envy
TRX-Enthusiast

Clutch Take-up Point and After market kits

Post by Trx envy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:24 am

Hey all, just wondering what you guys' clutch take up points are like and if youve played with aftermarket plates and springs.
My take up point is at the very end of the levers throw (all the way out) but it still needs the whole range of travel and i cant quite get used to it.
Thecables are spot on.
Do you guys find the same? And what did you do about it?
On previous bikes i have found aftermarket clutch kits to have plates and springs with measurements that differ from oem spec by quite a bit. Im wondering if thats an option and if anyone can steer me toward a kit that worked for them?
Im not to worried if i get a harder lever feel. Ive got tradie hands. Just looking for either more progressive engagement or move the take up point closer in.

Rod.s
Site Sponsor

Re: Clutch Take-up Point and After market kits

Post by Rod.s » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:49 am

If you are just replacing the clutch plates then the total stack hight must be the same as standard, if you're replacing the entire clutch (including basket) then the clutch should (will) come with the fitting instructions.
Check that the clutch fulcrum is correctly assembled and adjust accordingly.

If it's not made in China, it's a fake!

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:10 am

I find I have a few mm of slack on the lever and it doesn’t take up the clutch till 1/2 way through the lever action. I still find full dis-engagement easily by the time I’m at the bars.

Never use the clutch going back through the gears and shifting up as soon as I’ve taken the slack and a little pressure on the lever it slips into the next gear if I’m not using the quick shifter.

Std springs handle the trx clutch with no issues even with an extra 30 hp on tap.
Back in the days Over Racing still recommended the std springs.
laughter is the best medicine

Trx envy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Trx envy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:46 am

Thanks guys.

OzzieDave
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by OzzieDave » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:45 am

I bought some aftermarket levers from AliExpress, they both have the adjuster, now I can get the clutch take up close to the bar without stretching the fingers.
Proudly Aspergian. Yellow 98 TRX850, Staintune mufflers, braided brake hoses, blue spot brakes, remote control ignition switch, Ignitech ECU. 17/42 525 chain.

Trx envy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Trx envy » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:49 pm

OzzieDave wrote:I bought some aftermarket levers from AliExpress, they both have the adjuster, now I can get the clutch take up close to the bar without stretching the fingers.
Cheers dave. I'm a bit leery of cheap levers. Had a look on Ali express, there is a plethora on there. So do they change the fulcrum point or the stop points? Cheers.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:05 pm

For $20-30 pair with free shipping if it’s not quite what you want, keep them in the tail as spares Incase you fall over and bust a lever... :wink:
I’ve AliExpress levers fitted to the black trx and std levers fitted to the white trx. I have AliExpress levers sitting on the bench and just haven’t bothered to change them on the white bike . On the to do list and the shorty levers work for me.
laughter is the best medicine

OzzieDave
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by OzzieDave » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:58 am

Mine were CNC machined, about $35 for the pair, had to machine a bush for the clutch lever.
They have been in use for over a year now.
They suit Thundercat, and early R1 and R6.
I had to replace the clutch lever and got two for the price of an oem.
Proudly Aspergian. Yellow 98 TRX850, Staintune mufflers, braided brake hoses, blue spot brakes, remote control ignition switch, Ignitech ECU. 17/42 525 chain.

Trx envy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Trx envy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:00 am

Ok so bought these; https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/For-YZF600R ... 2749.l2649
They came really quick from China, was supposed to be 1 or 2 months.
Buuut they dont fit. Tried the clutch first, pivot point needs substantial shimming, maybe 5mm, not that that matters as it doesnt fit around the switch block. At all. Didn't bother with the brake lever.
So the stockers are back on, and these fancy chinese ones are going on the shelf alongside the ones i bought for my other bike after everyone gushed about how they are as good as Pazzos or whatever.
So anyway, i dont know if i bought the same type last time or what, but its two for two, so just a heads up, don't buy this particular style of lever, or, Id suggest ANY Chinese lever unless they have pics of it mounted to a bike.

EDIT; No they fit perfect and are excellent. My mistake i must have been drunk.
Last edited by Trx envy on Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

OzzieDave
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by OzzieDave » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:36 am

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with them.
I used the brass bush from the old clutch lever in the new one, but had to make up some brass washers to get the correct spacing in the housing, I used superglue to hold them in place.
My budget doesn't run to name brand products, I am lucky to have a mini metal lathe, which allows me to modify or make things to get the items to fit.

Trx envy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Trx envy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:21 am

Thanks for the pics dave. Yes the ones i have look very similar, and will require a couple of washers/spacers on the standard bush, but just could not see how i was going to get the switch cluster back on, or if i somehow did how the lever would even have any clearance on it to travel.
Will double check again when i get home.

Trx envy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Trx envy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:44 am

Ok an apology is in order to the Generic Chinese Lever Corporation. Not sure what drugs i was on when i tried to fit it the other day but they went on perfect today. Just used a 3/8th o-ring either side of the oe clutch pivot bush and some rubber grease and both levers perfect, less slop than oe, perfect range of motion and feel, all the switches work, transforms the bike having better lever control. I actually think the bike looks more legit with the old school OE levers so a kinda didnt want to like them but have to admit they're grouse. Will be leaving glowing feedback.