Trx rear shock wanted and advice

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Martin trx850
TRX-Enthusiast

Trx rear shock wanted and advice

Post by Martin trx850 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:26 pm

Hi there

I’m new to bikes after a 20 year break and brought a bike I lusted after in the 90’s, a 1996 TRX850.
With a suspected tired original rear shock.

I am hoping for a modern upgrade is there any one selling one or could recommend a supplier.
I’m in midlands
I’ve sourced a Shock from a R6 2CO 2006/7, is this a standard upgrade? Is it recommended,
Is it a standard bolt on replacement hassle free?
Cheers

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Re: Trx rear shock wanted and advice

Post by dicky » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:44 pm

Before Cobba hops in and gives you all the technical reason why this is not a good idea, I'll give you the condensed version.
Shocks are not generally interchangeable, even if they are the same or close to in length.
You have to consider stroke, spring length and rate, and the rest of the linkage system (including swingarm length) all as one complex system.
Change one bit and the whole thing can get really screwy really quickly.
You can get the stock rear shock serviced or re-conditioned for not much money and know that it is designed to work in your bike.
If you know that you'll be riding way past the limits of the standard shock (which is quite a good shock btw), then go for an after market shock that is designed for the TRX (i.e. Nitron et al)
dicky
OOOSDC #5

Martin trx850
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Martin trx850 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:13 am

Thanks, very useful guidance.
The current original shock is over 20 years old, I think it’s time for an upgrade to modern technology, so I’m opting for a more modern item.

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by dicky » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:36 am

Fair enough, it's your bike.
If you really fancy an R6 shock then Projection Components make an adapter to fit it to the std TRX rear end.
https://www.projection-components.co.uk ... s-17-p.asp
They are friends of this site.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

nr
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by nr » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:47 am

I ended up using an Ohlins from a '99 SV650. It fits pretty well straight off the bat. The Ohlins spec card is at http://www.ronketti.org.uk/ohlins_spec.jpg - spring rate is pretty good for me on the road. Could do with some setting up for exuberant track use, but for something that was never meant for the TRX, it's worked out pretty well. The only thing I needed to change was to knock out the threaded inset from the bottom mount clevis - it was a press fit, and just popped out pretty easily. The standard TRX bottom mount bolt then went straight through, no problem.

jjmoto
Site Sponsor

Post by jjmoto » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:49 pm

Martin trx850 wrote:Thanks, very useful guidance.
The current original shock is over 20 years old, I think it’s time for an upgrade to modern technology, so I’m opting for a more modern item.
The 2006 r6 shock will probably need rebuilding so you might as well get the original one rebuilt & uprated by mct or somewhere similar

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 am

There's a Maxton for sale now on the TRX Owners' Group Faceache page https://www.facebook.com/groups/1887861 ... p_activity
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white

jjmoto
Site Sponsor

Post by jjmoto » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:37 pm

dandywarhol wrote:There's a Maxton for sale now on the TRX Owners' Group Faceache page https://www.facebook.com/groups/1887861 ... p_activity
Had a look on here seems to be a fair bit of activity might have to get over my general indifference to facebook

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:11 am

Lots of activity but lots of just dribble with the odd bit that comes around like in the link if you want to wade through the Miriade of “ look at me look at me” i’m sitting on the toilet taking a dump.
Not only will I snap one off but I’ll snap a selfie too and put it on Facebook. But wait there’s more I’m about to wash my hands.
laughter is the best medicine