Relocate rad expansion bottle

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Cbike
TRX-Enthusiast

Relocate rad expansion bottle

Post by Cbike » Sat May 26, 2018 10:04 am

I've got a flat tracker style seat with modified rear hoop end and was wondering if anyone has had success with hiding the expansion bottle? I've heard about scooter bottles but haven't seen it done? I'm in the process of making up the battery and electrics underseat tray and the expansion bottle is a tough one to work with? I'd send a pic but it say there's no space.

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Re: Relocate rad expansion bottle

Post by dicky » Sun May 27, 2018 12:14 pm

It can go pretty much anywhere.
An upright bottle fixed to the frame downtube works well.
Oh, that's a problem isn't it, TRX's don't have frame downtubes ;)
It doesn't matter where it is, as long as the bottle is big enough to hold the overflow (measure the capacity of the original, I can't remember) and the end of the inlet tube is at the bottom, overflow tube is at the top (but they can both go in through the top of a bottle)

You can link to pics from external hosting sites, we're still trying to fix the forum image hosting problem.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

Cbike
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Cbike » Wed May 30, 2018 10:30 am

Thanks Dicky, I only just read your comment today. I picked up a 550ml alloy cylindrical unit off flea bay with what I thought was inlet and overflow at the bottom? Have I knackered it by not getting the overflow up top? If I recall correctly oem bottle is 500ml?
I've seen a cylindrical unit on a trx fitted to the bottom of a radiator sideways..? Not sure if this would work correctly however I was going to get tabs welded on the side of the radiator and mount it there. I haven't got the unit or my bike at the moment but hoping to check it out on Saturday.
dicky wrote:It can go pretty much anywhere.
An upright bottle fixed to the frame downtube works well.
Oh, that's a problem isn't it, TRX's don't have frame downtubes ;)
It doesn't matter where it is, as long as the bottle is big enough to hold the overflow (measure the capacity of the original, I can't remember) and the end of the inlet tube is at the bottom, overflow tube is at the top (but they can both go in through the top of a bottle)

You can link to pics from external hosting sites, we're still trying to fix the forum image hosting problem.

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by dicky » Wed May 30, 2018 11:01 am

Wait till it turns up and then see what you actually have.
It could have both holes at the top, with one of them reaching to the bottom internally, or it could have both at the bottom, with one reaching to the top internally.
Either way will work.
dicky
OOOSDC #5