MOSFET reg/rec

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

nr
TRX-Enthusiast

MOSFET reg/rec

Post by nr » Mon May 21, 2018 10:24 am

'ello all,

Does anyone out there in TRXland have any experience using a MOSFET reg/rec? My venerable old OEM reg/rec gave up the ghost last week, and I'm currently running with a Suzuki unit out of a Katana. As has been pointed out to me, this could be the definition of misplaced optimism - fixing an electrical problem with a 30yr old Suzuki part...

So, I need to replace the reg/rec, and I'd like to use a more modern MOSFET unit. Does anyone have any knowledge of what works, what doesn't, etc. ?

Ta,

PrfctChaos
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: MOSFET reg/rec

Post by PrfctChaos » Tue May 22, 2018 7:54 am

Not sure about Mosfets. But I got a no-name regulator for $20 on ebay 4 years ago, still works perfectly.

I would say as long as the Kawa unit is showing normal voltage with a multimeter then I wouldn't worry about it. Or you can replace it with a $20 e-bay unit for piece of mind :D :D :D .

Edit: I watched this Youtube video to see what upgrade Mosfets add. And Meh...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEr6xSGLC48
1996 TRX, Front end from a 2006 GSXR 750, Seat off a 2012 Triumph street triple. TDMR carbs, Laser cans, Perreli Rosso Supercorsas.

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Re: MOSFET reg/rec

Post by trixynut » Tue May 22, 2018 12:45 pm

Mosfet reg/recs are superior to the old style ones like on the TRX and would be an upgrade, but the standard Yamaha TRX ones are good quality anyway.

Certain bikes need the upgrade more than others. I had a Aprilia Caponord and the reg/rec was known to be shite and not producing enough power so everyone I knew has swapped to a one off a CBR600RR or one made by Shingden. This one was chosen because it was the right size and had the right bolt hole pattern, and for no other reason.

If you got one and its working ok then I would leave as is. I think an upgrade to a newer mosfet one would not be worth it. Plus finding one with right connectors / size / bolt holes could be a pita.