Fairing respraying

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

wurlyvalve
TRX-Enthusiast

Fairing respraying

Post by wurlyvalve » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:45 pm

Hello all,

My neighbour accidently knocked over my bike this morning. He's offered to pay for repairs, which I've taken up for a second hand mirror and clutch lever but the fairing and screen were quite well cracked before hand and I feel as he's been honest I'll sort these out for myself.

So, I've seen p and p bodyworks sell fibreglass road fairings for £110ish. They are gelcoated to the common colours but not, obviously, Yam colours.
What are my chances of getting the fairing sprayed up? Anybody know of someone in the UK that can do it for reasonable money and of reasonably quality? Do they source the paint, it's metallic blue?
Would I go for black or blue gelcoat? The backing of the original is black.....

Or, should I lob some more Kevlar repair tape on the back and reinforce it up and make do with what I've got?

Oh, my bike is not a show queen, she's a year round hack for commuting.

Cheers for your thoughts and opinions,
Glen.

jjmoto
Site Sponsor

Re: Fairing respraying

Post by jjmoto » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:26 pm

Pm sent

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:15 am

Your obviously not a bling person on this trx so as long as it gets you from a to b daily , personally , I'd accept the mirror and lever replacement and just tape it up.
Good Karma
Just keep an eye out and you may find a good 2 nd hand 1 will pop up sooner or later with the amount of guys either doing a naked or cafe mods on their trx now days.
My previous tail was cracked for about 5-6 years till I finally replaced it.
I use the cracked one for track days now and after the last low side, it's well n truely cracked now but a bit of black gaff tape , I'll get another bingle out of it... :lol:
laughter is the best medicine

Richy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Richy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:27 am

Get your original fairing repaired as fiberglass fairings are cr*p and wont have the mounts in it for headlight etc.

wurlyvalve
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by wurlyvalve » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:35 am

This one claims to have the posts in it for the headlight, cutouts and indicator cutouts. I can reinforce it up with CF if it doesn't seem strong enough. I've ordered it now so I guess I'm fairly committed. I have stack of CF and Kevlar and resins etc in stock as I make my racecar tubs and bodywork. See how bad is it when it arrives.......

I've already repaired the original once (the weekend before it got knocked over). Ha ha, sods law!

Cheers,
Glen.

Richy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Richy » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:07 am

Take a mold and make your own carbon fiber fairing 8) .

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Snod Blatter » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:56 am

Very interested to see what this fairing looks like (P+P's site doesn't seem to load any pictures?). It'd be nice to know there's a source of spare road fairings out there, I had a really hard time finding an original item that wasn't cracked to buggery or been cut down to make room for handlebars.
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.

wurlyvalve
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by wurlyvalve » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:59 am

Thought had crossed my mind....... ;)

Well, still not turned up :(. Interlink tried to deliver and left a note stating left in "rear". No fairing to be found in my rear unfortunately, and I did search - with a torch too! I rang P and P, we'll see how this ends up.

Cheers,
Glen.

highlander
Site Sponsor

Post by highlander » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:48 pm

wurlyvalve wrote:... and left a note stating left in "rear". No fairing to be found in my rear unfortunately, and I did search - with a torch too!
It's not big OR clever, but ... <snigger!> :bootyshake:
Projection Racing 2-1 with Akropovic hex carbon can, Keihin FCRs @ 150 main, R6 shock conversion, 520 chain conversion, Ignitech ignition, Li-po battery. Further weight reduction & front suspension in progress ....

wurlyvalve
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by wurlyvalve » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:29 pm

Should have it next week :). The photos on their ebay advert looked ok. But I'll report back the quality and try to post up a few pics (so long as my technical know-how obliges).

Cheers,
Glen.

bane
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by bane » Sat May 13, 2017 5:13 pm

Did you get the fairing? Hows the quality and fit?

Cheers,
Bane.

wurlyvalve
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by wurlyvalve » Tue May 16, 2017 11:29 am

Yes, a slight cock-up delayed it's manufacture. I'll be perfectly honest, I unwrapped it and now it sits in the shed. :( I feel the need for defensive excuses for my tardiness!

However, I'm very happy with its quality. Everything looks right and the headlight mounts look man enough. Would photos help? I can not YET confirm the quality of its fit. The fact the front wheel is crumbling up around the brake disc bolts and the forks are spraying anyone within a 2 mile radius with oil has rendered the bike more of an ornament and the frivolous pursuit of making the thing less ugly has been shelved for another month.

Cheers,
Glen.