R6 rear wheel fitment .

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

devonnick
TRX-Enthusiast

R6 rear wheel fitment .

Post by devonnick » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:15 pm

Hi just wondering if it is possible to fit a R6 rear wheel 5.5 inch into the standard trx swinger so I can run a wider tyre ? Has anyone tried this mod I can get a 2002 rear wheel with good disc plus sprocket and good tyre for £99 so not very expensive not sure of spindle /bearing sizes...any info would be great thanks.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: R6 rear wheel fitment .

Post by Mincehead » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:28 pm

Go YZF750, there`s LOADS of information already here in various threads that explains how to do it. SEARCH is your friend. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

devonnick
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by devonnick » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:59 pm

Thanks but yzf 750 wheels are heavy and quite expensive with all the parts I need unless I can use disc and sprocket carrier of off my trx wheel.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:10 am

The trx disc and carrier are the same and interchanagble on the yzf750 .
Material needs to be removed from inside the sprocket carrier to take the 1mm wider 20mm axle size bearings plus material removed from where the sprocket bolts to for sprocket alignment. Did 1 about 3-4 yrs ago but as you said too heavy for my liking so I sold it.
R6 run a 220 disc too so more to think about...
I think you'll find the 2002 rim will weigh about the same anyhow.. Find yourself a later model if you want a lighter wheel....
Simple easy way is to run a 170 tyre on the trx 5" rim which fits within the recommended rim/tyre combination...
The money you save not buying a rim, you can buy 3cartons of beer and sit down for a week and look at the 170 set up and say"" that looks goo..burp"
laughter is the best medicine

devonnick
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by devonnick » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:30 am

Thanks for the advise guys I do see your points...I like the look of the R6 wheel it has straight thin spokes :P and I like the smaller disc I can fit a small brembo caliper with a new bracket or something not keen on the huge trx rear disc...the wheel im looking at is a great deal it comes with everything I need inc a nearly new 180 mich pilot tyre..I know the spindles are different maybe a change of bearing size or some spacers to sleeve them down etc...I need something to do over the winter to keep me sain :P any thoughts keep them coming I do appreciate it .

Ragnar
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Ragnar » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:58 pm

I dont know if this is helpful, but To fit a 5,5" yzf 750 rear Wheel you Need the following things. Mybe it helps you fitting the R6 Wheel or give you an idea..
http://www.cco-classicracing.de/trx-850 ... lgenumbau/
Detailed instruction on how To fit the 5,5" Wheel into the std. Swingarm. basically You Need To make the 2 Aluminium/Steel Shells and take 3mm off the Original spacer.
There is another instruction in the german Forum.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:58 am

The only problem with the rear wheel conversion on the link above is it doesn't address the offset.
Using only spacers as he has done will either give you chain alignment but offset the wheel from the centre by 6mm or centre the wheel but offset the sprocket alignment by 6mm.
You can see than someone questioned him on this but he did not bother to check.

The YZF750 hub is 6mm wider than the TRX hub,,(we are talking the hub in the centre of the wheel not the rim),,
BUT the right hand (brake) side of the hub sits exactly the same spot as the TRX hub when measured to the centre of the both rims, and the sprocket side of the YZF750 hub is 6mm wider from the centre of the rim compared to the TRX rim.

So if you use these sleeves he made to keep the wheel centred, you'll just need to machine the 6mm from the clutch hub (Sprocket carrier)where the sprocket bolts on. Just remove the 6 studs and you'll see there is a 5-6mm rise where they screw in so just machine that flat. :wink: This will give you sprocket alignment and wheel centre alignment.

Tried to download photos but photobucket is having problems once again... :roll:
Last edited by cobbadiggabuddyblooo on Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:02 am

Translated from link....

Hello,
I bought a 5.5 inch rim already from the longer, but from the YZF 1000 Thunderace.
A question, does the tire run exactly in the middle of the chain with your chain?
If I am the following with me so should not be the case.

What says:
October 25, 2014 at 16:45

Hi Karlheinz,
Actually I have not measured, but since the chain 1a aligned, I had no reason, as closer examine.

Grez, Wodit

Ragnar
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Ragnar » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:08 pm

As far as i know the offset gets correctet by Taking off the 3mm from the distance spacer.
Since no one ever questioned that,except for the Website i mentioned, i assume the Offset is Right :?:

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:06 pm

Sprocket alignment yes but because you are moving the whole wheel this then puts the front and rear wheel centres out of alignment.
The yzf 750 hub is 6mm wider than the TRX but the extra width is all on the RH or drive side and not 3mm on the left and 3mm on the right...

coxylaad
Site Sponsor

Post by coxylaad » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:57 pm

5 spoke r6 wheels:

not easy to fit however, I used a thunderace swingarm, and modified the R6 rear caliper to fit as it sits in a completely different position to the normal rear caliper - on top of the swing arm and further in.

definitely not a straight swap.

Ragnar
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Ragnar » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:48 pm

By taking off 6mm from the sprocket Carrier you mean the red Marked areas?
Last edited by dicky on Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edit to put the pic in the thread

pipsovich
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by pipsovich » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:32 pm

Ive just fitted a 06 5.5" 5-spoke R6 wheel into the trx srd swingarm. Have not aligned sprockets yet, but it seems i only need to machine 2 mm off the sprocket carrier. Easier than i thought to change. Brake is not sorted yet either. I can give the bushing sizes when its all done and working fine :)

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:41 am

Ragnar wrote:By taking off 6mm from the sprocket Carrier you mean the red Marked areas?
=D> Yes that's the spot. It should get you down flush with the raised support running all the way around the carrier.
Thank you for the picture. I have been trying to download a photo similar to what you put up there but photobucket is having problems at present.
Last edited by cobbadiggabuddyblooo on Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:51 am

pipsovich wrote:Ive just fitted a 06 5.5" 5-spoke R6 wheel into the trx srd swingarm.. Brake is not sorted yet either. I can give the bushing sizes when its all done and working fine :)
I run a 220mm rear disc on mine and used a 2002 gsxr rear caliper and only had to make a bush to get the correct axle size and take a small amount of material from the caliper where it bolts to the carrier to get the pads centred. It hangs underneath so easily uses the original torque arm points.
Some Early yz rear discs use the same trx /yzf750 245mm bolt pattern as does the dt dirt bikes but in a 220 mm disc.

Using the gsxr carrier and caliper may be an easy way around things with your R6 wheel if the spacing is the same as the TRX between swingarm and wheel on the brake side.
Last edited by cobbadiggabuddyblooo on Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.