When does a TRX stop being a TRX?

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Overlord Neil
TRX-Enthusiast

When does a TRX stop being a TRX?

Post by Overlord Neil » Fri May 06, 2016 5:36 pm

I posted up a while ago that I was planning on selling my Tuono and/or the TRX prior to moving, well I've moved now and still have both bikes... however I also have a garage, mwhahaha.

So I've been thinking about doing up the Tuono, needs a few jobs to get it together to sell, but something has been rattling around in my little brain. Then it hit me, I had a dim idea of using the front end, rear end and wheels as it all premium stuff [Ohlins & Oz etc]. Then it occured to me that rather than forking out on FCR's and major engine work to get 100 ish ponies, why not just stick the RSV lump in aswell and get a full 130, which is what its been dyno to at the moment.

Even i can see the counter argument here, Front end + rear end + wheel + engine, why not leave it all where it is and stick with the Tuono, save myself ALOT of grief and huge irrecoverable cost... To which the only rational response is; because.

I like the compact proportions of the TRX, its fantastic at filtering a trait I exploit to its maximum. I'm actually thinking of going for a Cafe Racer style, big single (or twin) chrome head lamp.

Essentially I guessed I'd only be keeping the [albeit modified] frame and tank, does that still count? Or more importantly do I give a monkeys if it does or it doesn't?

Any thoughts?
C90, TS50, H100, H100, CB250, GS500, Tiger 955i, TRX850, Tuono, ZZR600, CBR954RR

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: When does a TRX stop being a TRX?

Post by Mincehead » Fri May 06, 2016 6:07 pm

Aprilia complete front and rear ends, plus wheels have all been done before (go through members rides on the forum or use the search facility) but I`ve not heard of or seen an Aprilia lump installed in the TRX chassis. It might be a bloody tight fit, some careful measuring should be carried out before dismantling either bike (obviously) as you could be looking at a lot of mods required to make it all work.
I`ve stood looking at my TL1000S and thought many times, "I wonder"?
A TL thou lump in a TRX chassis, FUN! :twisted:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

ac@39
Site Sponsor

Post by ac@39 » Fri May 06, 2016 7:01 pm

it is what you want it to be, doesnt matter if its been done before or not , but i reckon from my little experience you maybe better off looking at it another way ... have a trx frame built around what you want to put into it ,dunno how much that would cost but the mods i've had to do to swing arm and engine brace ( unless you can do all this stuff yourself) have cost me going on 600.. and its all labour costs, what i've spent on rsv front end and rear and trx engine .. i probably could have 2 trx's by now but its not the point for me ..if you do it ... it's yours and unique ... and overall .... escapist fun.... and i havent even ridden the effing thing yet .... better than sex .... just do it
inspired by san miguel

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sat May 07, 2016 3:27 am

Go for it ....
Just put a little thought into it and if your happy with the handling characteristics of the trx, you can keep things pretty close but with the advantage of lighter wheels and better suspension package.
Just sorting the relay arm / shock Damping may take some maths to get the correct damping rate for the rear suspension but find a reputable suspension tuner and he can sort this for you. Swing arm length and travel all come into play.
Good starting point are trx specs...
130mm rear travel and swing arm length is 505-530mm length from centre of swing arm pivot to centre of axle.
laughter is the best medicine

Overlord Neil
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Overlord Neil » Sat May 07, 2016 9:50 am

It was ac@39's project that got me thinking, slotting the engine in was the next 'obvious' place to look. I've got the luxury of both bikes parked next to each other in the garage but if i was serious I'd get another frame with log book and start from scratch. I'm not too worried about cutting and shutting the frame, my plan for the rear end was as I'm taking the whole rear end to emulate the mounting of the Tuono with a bracket welded into the frame, that way the handling should still think its a Tuono but on a diet. I'm pretty sure the engine will go, a very quick look yesterday, the Tuono is enormously wide, but then it has an equally enormous box frame on the outside of the engine, its a 1000 V-twin so in theory at least the cylinder heads should be narrower than the original 850 twin as the pistons will overlap... in theory. The real stumbling blocks i can see are going to be exhaust routing and plumbing in general, the T has 3 fecking radiators to squeeze in behind the front wheel and the fuel pump, which is in the tank on the T.... Much thinking needs done.

Does anyone have a frame just lying around?

I'm thinking this could be a real slow burner, if it happens, me and Mrs Overlord have Overlord junior arriving on the scene in 2 months, the garage might be my saviour...
C90, TS50, H100, H100, CB250, GS500, Tiger 955i, TRX850, Tuono, ZZR600, CBR954RR

jjmoto
Site Sponsor

Post by jjmoto » Tue May 10, 2016 9:23 am

I've thought about this idea quite a bit, i like to see something different, but i would proceed with caution, are you going to lose the feel of the TRX that you like so much unless you get exactly the same weight distribution & geometry? According to the specs i found online they weigh about the same. There's the possibility of something utterly brilliant vs destroying two great bikes. given the choice i'd just keep them both.
The other major flaw in your plan is thinking you will have spare time when junior arrives! As the father of three daughters i speak from experience & just when you think you're getting your life back one of them has just supplied us with a granddaughter!

M.V.
Site Sponsor

Post by M.V. » Tue May 10, 2016 12:58 pm

For me, you can replace pretty much everything but the engine before it stops being a TRX.

Vee Two in Perth once reconfigured a Ducati engine to run as a supercharged single, using the rear cylinder as a pump for the supercharger, that's an interesting way of adding some more power without a complete engine swap.

Of course a Turbo TRX would be the way to go I reckon ;)

Overlord Neil
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Overlord Neil » Tue May 10, 2016 1:46 pm

jjmoto, I think you've hit the nail squarely on the head! In reality I'm going to struggle to get enough garage time to service the bike, let alone build another one. The sensible thing to do is get the Tuono back together, MOT'd then sold... but its still a tempting proposition to merge the two.

M.V like your thinking, though not convinced the TRX lump is the best candidate for a Turbo conversion. Maybe a low pressure unit like the Screaming Eagle kits they put on Harleys could be a good option. From a technical point a low revving twin wouldn't be the best starter for turbo charged induction... super charging though, well that would technically work, hmmm.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Tue May 10, 2016 3:14 pm

Turbo? Works a treat, ok it`s a TDM900 but the TRX responds well too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPaPLD79JDk
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Overlord Neil
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Overlord Neil » Wed May 11, 2016 8:30 am

In my defense, you're honor, I didn't say it couldn't be done just not ideal. When Honda turbo charged the CX500, they only did it because it was difficult and because they could.

Looks like a good kit though, not sure I'd want to put it on a TDM but then it is Greece, theres probably status attached to being higher on the road than everyone else. Definitely wouldn't ride without a helmet either, I lived in Turkey for a few years and had a BMW 650 'fun-duro', only time I'd ever not ride with a helmet was to run the dog down to the beach.

Looking at the Tuono again last night, occured to me it would be easier to just put clip-ons on the thing and be done with it!

2007 TDM900 turbo for sale (in Greece) only 6,500 euros with an R1 front end:
http://www.used-moto.gr/%CE%B1%CE%B3%CE ... -2007.html

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Wed May 11, 2016 10:58 pm

The Greeks are really into their TDMs - biggest market in Europe for the TDM before they were found out about not paying their taxes :lol:
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white