Ducati front end?

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Overlord Neil
TRX-Enthusiast

Ducati front end?

Post by Overlord Neil » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:25 pm

Hi,

Had my TRX for a while now and use it daily as my commuter (the commute is now easily the best part of the day). I've got a few bits I want to do without going 'full retard' on it, the previous owner had done a few things to it (Dynojet, K&N, Carbon Remus, unkown rear shock and reworked std front end, plus R1 blue spots) so it goes and stops but I'm keen to make a few mod's here and there, I'll address them separately, as a lot of elements have already been well tried and tested by other forum members.

I'm thinking a new front end is a good start, the R1 seems to be a favourite source of goodies but, more for the sake of being a little bit more left field, I was wondering what other options there are. On the basis that you have to machine crowns to make the R1 front end and the widely accepted practice seems to be a front end transplant, why not consider other options? Type in Ohlins and all kinds of funny numbers start rolling across the screen, but Kayaba and Showa give much better results, especially on FleaBay, I'm keen to make 'improvements' and give my bike some unique character, but I don't have the national gold reserves (even post-Brown) to play with. You can pick up a set of Showa USD off a Ducati ST2, same front end as the 916,748 and 900 monster for less than £100, similar bike, similar weight (well the 916 & 748 anyway) plus they will take Brembo 4-pots and you have lightweight wheel options. From the basic research (couple of hours on tinterweb) the parts seems reasonably priced plus you end up with something a bit different. I'm not saying the equipment is better or worse, just different for similar/possibly less money. One of the many things i like about the TRX is two fingers to convention, why not run with that... or am i running into a wall?

I'm a mechanical design engineer, so I'm well used to making alteration's and bespoke kit to everything from trains to aeroplanes, but normally at other peoples expense!

Thoughts please.
C90, TS50, H100, H100, CB250, GS500, Tiger 955i, TRX850, Tuono, ZZR600, CBR954RR

alextrx850
Site Sponsor

Re: Ducati front end?

Post by alextrx850 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:47 pm

Just the steering stem from the Trx is all you need to fit almost anything onto the front.
Ducati..why not...and as most newer machines will be close to the sprung weight .
Has been some interesting engineering examples in the past.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:09 pm

There's a reason most are only $100-$200 because that"s all they are worth and most guys selling them are after better themselves.
The reason most stick to later model Yamaha front ends is because you can retain a lot more parts including wheel, callipers and discs so your just paying for a little engineering for a stem swap and axle mod, a pair of forks and trees . :wink:
Use your TRX wheel, callipers and discs. Spend any extra saved on having the forks resprung and revalved to suit the trx. 8) 8)
laughter is the best medicine

Overlord Neil
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Overlord Neil » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:42 pm

Cobba, there was me thinking breaking the bike as parts was the only way you could make any money out of a 20 year old ducati.... :lol:
C90, TS50, H100, H100, CB250, GS500, Tiger 955i, TRX850, Tuono, ZZR600, CBR954RR

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:54 am

Good idea breaking the bike if you can get one cheap.
Many have done just that to utilise the yzf 750 parts as I did myself to start.
But I never used any of the 750 bits in the end after careful consideration.

Maybe look at finding early R6 or later model R6 s forks which are 43mm and RSU forks.
They are cartridge style not damper rod with comp/rebound and preload and still use blue/silver/gold spots.
A really good cheaper option as the thundercat forks are pretty primal too even with comp/rebound.
You will have to machine out your Trx trees 1mm radially to accomidate them.
Rebuild the rear shock and you'll have a gem with good suspension which in turn boosts confidence.
Forks will be a touch shorter so just use the dog bones.

But you can make most parts fit but weather they are practice or not is another matter but may look pretty cool.
Last edited by cobbadiggabuddyblooo on Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

knumbnutz
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by knumbnutz » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:52 am

I have a ST2 ducati and the front end is pretty decent but not that adjustable. Go with a S2R or S4R or one of the other models with fully adjustable forks.
I also bought a R1 07 front end, six pot radial brakes and fully adjustable forks with wheel and guard for the TRX for $700 AUD
But things to keep in mind, the R1 front end needs custom triple clamps because the ID of the steering stem is 31mm, whereas the TRX steering stem is 30mm. The offset is 25mm compared to 30mm on the TRX
I am not sure about the ducati, but also keep in mind the fork sizes. Some of the forks may have different diameters for the clamps, so make sure you match the clamps and forks .
Having said all that, Triumph ducati etc are dime a dozen in europe and a hell of a lot cheaper than here is australia, so you will be able to do it cheaper and any modern fork will outdo the TRX forks !
Like a startled bunny in the headlights of life.

A birth certificate shows we were born
A death certificate shows we died
Pictures showed that we lived

baverhae
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by baverhae » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:27 pm

I bought a 2006 R6 UPSD with triple tree and radial brakes: € 400.
R6 Rear Spring 2012: € 75.
Wheels R6 2006: € 150.

A 20-year-old engine is now fast like a wasp at a track. Very annoying for those young sport bikes ;-)

Ohlins says the r6 forks are from such quality that they could only improve the number of settings.
Owner of a red TRX with a 900 engine, 39mm Mikuni flatslides, 2-1 large bore stainless steel systeem (projection-components), R6 front and back suspension, FZR 1000 swingarm and wheels ... and with water, oil and fuel only 185kg.

Overlord Neil
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Overlord Neil » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:46 pm

baverhae, how are you getting on with the installation, any problems? I bought an Aprilia Tuono Factory R thats dripping with Ohlins lovelyness, I'm in two minds as to selling the bike whole or breaking it, nabbing all the good stuff and grafting it onto the TRX then fleabaying the remainder.

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:27 pm

Check out some of Yoozy's posts - he's done some Tuono/TRX bastardisation
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white

Overlord Neil
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Overlord Neil » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:46 am

I've decided (for the moment), largely thanks a house purchase and arrival of a little one imminent to sell the Tuono and all its gold anodised ohliness and keep more conventional until funds allow. On the plus side the new house has a double garage (critical requirement) and I've somehow managed to convince my good lady that two motorcycles is a minimum requirement... don't ask me how.

I picked up a set of conventional r6/fazer (EB5) forks and lined up a guy to bore the yokes to accommodate the 2mm difference. I probably should have checked before but is the rest a straight bolt on? Does the TRX front wheel spindle fit the R6 forks and will the mudguard locate ok?

Overlord Neil
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Overlord Neil » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:32 am

Does anyone have any feedback on the R6 (EB5) forks and the standard TRX front wheel? I'm trying to work out if its worth stripping the bike down and getting the yokes rebored to suit, or if I'd be better off, getting some yokes made to suit a set of Ohlins USD forks off an Aprilia? I'm leaning more towards doing a complete front end transplant from the Aprilia, save the rear swing arm and shock till a later date (post house move and baby) and breaking the rest of the bike.

What I don't want to do Is take the TRX off the road, get the yokes machined and then find everything else doesn't fit and I need to buy more parts. I know that I should strip the front end and check everything fits but at the moment I'm using borrowed workshop space and access is dificult as its over an hour away from where I live. I only bought the R6 forks as bare items, where as the Aprilia Ohlins jobbies I have the complete bike to play with.

sanddune51
Site Sponsor

Post by sanddune51 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:05 pm

I have fitted RWU R6 forks to my Trx and they are fine. Much much better than std original Trx forks. Someone asked some questions and I told them what I'd done under the post entitled "R6 forks". perhaps you missed it.

This is the link http://www.trx850.com/phpBB_forum/viewt ... =6&t=10304

Mark

Overlord Neil
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Overlord Neil » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:32 am

Hi Mark,

Thanks for sending the link, I read through your thread sounds like bad news as i only have the forks, not a complete front end. :(

Does the original TRX guard fit? I'm guessing that I will need to source an R6 front wheel (is it the same size tyre as the TRX?) and spindle plus a speedo drive from a CBR600 (any particular year?)... It sounds like a bigger PITA than I was hoping for, I had hoped it was a simple swap of the forks with a little machining to get the forks in the original yokes. With all the work that needs to be done with the extra bits to be purchased, I think I'll hold off and use the complete front end off the Tuono. Bummer

Did a quick sanity check, if you search the forum for R6 there are over 3000 hits...

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:29 am

Use the std Trx wheel and just do an axle mod to get around any difference in axle size.
I bet the early R6 use the same 298mm disc size too.
Use a 17mm swing arm axle from a DT . Weld a spacer on 1 end of the axle and for the opposite fork you make a sleeve to fit in with a 17mm ID. Use a nut on the end just like your rear wheel axle set up instead of screwing into the fork leg like std.
Problem solved.

Last edited by cobbadiggabuddyblooo on Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:47 pm

Original TRX guard doesn't fir R6 lowers - have a look at mudguards on Ebay
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white