Fuel tap warning(!)

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

QuickDraw
Site Sponsor

Fuel tap warning(!)

Post by QuickDraw » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:46 pm

Echoing redbaron on his post a few years back (http://www.trx850.com/phpBB_forum/viewt ... =36&t=7498 which I only found tonight :) )...

It happened to me too, on my fist test-ride after an 8 month rebuild from chasing it on my arse through a roundabout.

Turned left at an intersection and spun the rear.
"Sh1t, I've got a flat'!" thinks me.
Pulling over straight away, still idling, I look down and surprise myself at the Niagara of inflammable hydrocarbons bursting downward through the works.
Bike off (pump off) and the flow was under control again. Thankful the sparks were up the other end! Geez.

The belly pan did its job very well, holding about 5-6 litres before it began to spill into the rear track. Given the corners I'd just come through, I'm certain I would have crashed it again otherwise. I'm glad for my mate on his newly purchased FZ8 who was following too (!)

The new Dzus fasteners holding the pan on were a bit of a pain to get right the night before, and I wondered if I was being a bit pedantic. But I'm very glad I bothered, as I didn't have my screwdriver. Pan emptied (not on the road :wink: ) tap outlet pushed back in ok. Felt firm, no leaks, and off I go (very watchfully) to the servo, checking with a quick visual every 1/2 k or so.

I made it about 10k's and same again. The pan filled again in mere seconds. Pulled over again. Ok. This won't do. I needed something to stop it falling out again.

Then I see an old bloke watching me from yard. :D "G'day mate! You wouldn't have a cable tie or bit of wire I could have, would you?"

A bit of tie-wire he did. And pliers. Champion!

With the lock wire around the pump-body and under the outlet, I finished the ride without a drip.

Given the way this has happened to others as well as me, and age on our bikes, and the potential for catastrophe... I'd urge everyone to do a quick lock-wire on the fuel tap outlet. It's only a 5 min job and could save your pride & joy, and more.

Lock-wire preventing the fuel tap outlet from falling out. When these let go, it dumps litres of fuel under the back tyre in a matter of seconds.

Bucko
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Fuel tap warning(!)

Post by Bucko » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:58 pm

That's a great tip, my tap was loose too, im surprised theres nothing more positive built in to hold it into the tap body!

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Re: Fuel tap warning(!)

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:56 pm

Thank god you stayed upright Brett,
Personally I keep the hose on the fuel tap and whenever I have to remove the tank, I always disconnect at the vacuum pump and leave the short 90* hose on the tap so I never disturb or place any pressure on the tap. But I'll heed your advise and lock it with a cable tie anyhow.
Rod had a similar issue only 6 mths ago just as we entered Melaney and managed to stay upright.
laughter is the best medicine