standard forks or upside down ?

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

devonnick
TRX-Enthusiast

standard forks or upside down ?

Post by devonnick » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:11 pm

Hi Im having trouble with fork seals my forks were pitted when I got the bike and I have tried smoothing them out but they keep blowing...I can get a set of good forks for £80 I was wondering if it is worth spending more cash on a set of upside down forks with yokes etc or can I get good results with the standard setup ? any thoughts would be great cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Re: standard forks or upside down ?

Post by Con Rod » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:19 pm

it is a big improvement to the handling.

The stock forks are damper rods and anything more modern and or upside down will be cartridge forks. The differed between damper rod and cartridge forks is significant.

Given you are not concerned about keeping the stock speedo I would look at swapping for a 98- 01 R1 front end, as they are readily available and the swap is as straightforward as anything else. The simplest path is to change the whole front end, forks, wheel, mudguard, tripples etc.

That said, this will cost a lot more than 80quid
Paul

Seacliff23
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Seacliff23 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:31 am

Hi
I'm new to the the forum/trx ownership, just a simple question! What top yoke are you using
In order to use handlebars ?
Cheers seacliff

Silver
Site Sponsor

Post by Silver » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:14 pm

On that budget rather than replacing the trx forks. Get thundercat forks which are cartridge and a straightforward swap (so they say). same diameter. so no need to change yokes/stem.
I have conventional CBR600 F3 forks which are similar to T'cat and are very good.
Dave
2010 Street triple R 675 Road bike
2018 BMW G310GS
1988 Honda XBR500(converting to GB500 spec)
SZR660 road and track project

Rod.s
Site Sponsor

Post by Rod.s » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:23 pm

Or…. get a decent set of springs to suit your body weight, emulators and way you go with no problems or mods =D> In all a dynamic improvement!
If it's not made in China, it's a fake!

Rod.s
Site Sponsor

Post by Rod.s » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:27 pm

torino68
Site Sponsor

Post by torino68 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:32 am

Hi Rod,

Is there a specific rating or spec of replacement springs recommended? I would prefer just to stick with standard forks rather than swap them over for something else.

I need to get my forks repaired. Had the seals done at a shop approx 2000 klms ago and left one has already blown out. Shop did say at time that they had linished the forks but that they were worn badly.

Has anyone here had any dealings with Rad Hard Chroming in Rocklea or another recommended re-chromer of forks in S E Qld? They advertise that they will do the complete job including seals, springs, etc.

Thanks,

Keith S.

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Post by Con Rod » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:58 am

dont know about hard chroming in SE QLD but for springs you can use the calculator from RaceTech, just input your weight

http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/Yam ... 50/1996-98
Paul

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:09 am

I'm suer if you mention it to Rad, they can resping to suit too. :wink:
laughter is the best medicine

Rod.s
Site Sponsor

Post by Rod.s » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:07 pm

torino68 wrote:Hi Rod,

Is there a specific rating or spec of replacement springs recommended? I would prefer just to stick with standard forks rather than swap them over for something else.

I need to get my forks repaired. Had the seals done at a shop approx 2000 klms ago and left one has already blown out. Shop did say at time that they had linished the forks but that they were worn badly.

Has anyone here had any dealings with Rad Hard Chroming in Rocklea or another recommended re-chromer of forks in S E Qld? They advertise that they will do the complete job including seals, springs, etc.

Thanks,

Keith S.
Rad Hard Chrome is two business in one, the hard chrome is an industrial finish and used in many applications as you'd know, that is one side of the business, the other is rebuilding motorcycle suspensions, just go in and see them for any and all information/mods etc. They have been around for over 25 years and have a solid reputation for quality and professional service.

I've had several sets of forks done by them and three sets of modern and vintage shocks done, nothing but praise for them.
Rod

torino68
Site Sponsor

Post by torino68 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:29 am

Hi Gents,
Thanks for the replies I will get onto Rad in the new year and get the job done by them.
Keith S.