Nology HT leads

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Nology HT leads

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:30 am

http://www.nology.com/hot.html

Now I'm mobile it's time to start to fine tune fuel, spark and timing.
Just looking for a little feedback if anyone has had experience in the use of these NOLOGY HT spark plug leads.
They seemed to be a popular choice on drag cars and bikes over the years and even now seem to be an option given here by a local after market Triumph dealer...
laughter is the best medicine

masterbill
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Nology HT leads

Post by masterbill » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:20 am

Hello,
I didn't think that car type leads worked well on older bikes - something to do with power output from the ignition?

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:38 pm

Yes don't think it will be the option I will use, with a number of varying views on the advantages of the crude capacitor system employed. But just interested to hear of some hands on feedback.
Seems like their may be extra life given to an ailing system but for one that is working ok,there is no real gains.

masterbill
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by masterbill » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:08 pm

Hello,
So the local dealer is overing it as an upgrade- new igintion - might be a gain?

I tried one of those Brisk plugs on a Dt 175 I've got - wouldn't have - just didn't want to know - maybe on a modern system it would work.

K9TRX850
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by K9TRX850 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:53 pm

I've been running nology hotwires (with the inline capacitor) for 10 years with no issues, I've never run stock wires though so........,, they make bike specific kits for other Yammies, my Dad has them on his Vmax with great results, I've certainly never had a problem with Spark. They are each 200mm or so too long but theres enough room above the head for a few winds of the leads. If they made bike specific ones for the TRX i reckon theyd be too short for the inline capacitors anyway. Stock leads are not long eh?

Im looking to fit a pair of single-fire coils from Nology also. I hear theyre great and you get heaps of 'Bang' for your buck =D> , more than stock anyway!
Good things come to those who ate.

Kevtrx849

Post by Kevtrx849 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:07 pm

I've just fitted the Nology Profire coil and Hotwires to the Thruxton. No real noticeable gains, starts crisply. The original Gill units are known to fail so a worthwhile upgrade in my opinion.
If everything seems under control
your just not going fast enough.
( HENRY FORD )

ricr378
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by ricr378 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:41 am

Don't know if it's relevant but i have had troubles running modern silicone leads on an old 1955 Peugeot 403 motor. It caused heaps of intermittent problems that were hard to pinpoint. We finally replaced them with old copper ones and all the problems disappeared.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:26 pm

I despise the carbon / wired leads, had lots of issues with them on cars and bikes, copper all the way for me.
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:53 pm

Carbon leads have a built in resistance to eliminate electrical "noise" which upsets tv and radio. If you use carbon/resister leads AND resistor plug caps/resistor plugs you are increasing the resistances along the line and asking for trouble.

Have you thought of the coil per cylinder directly onto the plug top option?
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:13 am

With the Ignitech ignition, it allows the option to run stick style 1.5 ohm coils.