Show us your quickshifter setup

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Re: Show us your quickshifter setup

Post by dandywarhol » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:11 pm

alextrx850 wrote:
dandywarhol wrote:Interesting thread. I guess it has to be a compromise on the lag time due to the narrowing up of the gear ratios as you get to a higher gear - what would be smooth for 2-3 shift would be clunky for 4-5 shift being closer ratios :?:

I don't get alextrx850 bit about blipping the throttle on upshifts - you'll surely end up with a slower shift waiting for the revs to drop before the dogs synchronise their speeds :?: :?
I don't have a quick shift Dandy.
Just wondering how the quick shift would affect the gear changes when in the lower gears ,..say from the standing start to say 80kph.
I've manually ( quick shifted ) in the lower gears and found it quite clunky....4th and 5th, much better.
Just that the gear ratios seem wider apart in the lower gears compared to engine rpm than up at higher road speed.

Another thing seen that makes me wince, is the first gear jab that some riders do to engage first gear at lights.
Maybe ok with a Harley.
I realised you don't have one Alex - I was wondering why you blip on the upshift. Blipping will slow down the shift and make it clunky :? Blipping the throttle on the downshift smooths out the change.
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:18 pm

Tarwetijger wrote:
dandywarhol wrote:The angle of the shiftlever to the rod looks wrong - the angles at both ends should be close as possible to 90 degrees. The way it is you'll need more movement to upshift than you would at 90 degrees. The effort to change will also be different
Yes i noticed. I wanted to try reversed shifting and bought a pull sensor. So now i just have to. :lol:
I Will experiment with different rod lenghts and I could try the original rearset too.
I bought a used push/pull as i always only downshift up....i set mine up so it only works on full throttle pulls. But as i have a TDM900 box i just blip it a bit in traffic anyway...900 box so much smoother!

alextrx850
Site Sponsor

Post by alextrx850 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:21 pm

I bought a used push/pull as i always only downshift up....i set mine up so it only works on full throttle pulls. But as i have a TDM900 box i just blip it a bit in traffic anyway...900 box so much smoother![/quote]

Comes,down to finding style I guess, if I am in a relaxed state and slow in shifting up, the engine revs fall to below required for the new higher gear.
Must emphasise ..relaxed gear changes tho.
When the crazy eye is in,..no upward throttle blips.
Downshifts always blip.
Still reason that a quick shift might not be good up shifting when In the lower gears tho..

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:59 pm

alextrx850 wrote:I bought a used push/pull as i always only downshift up....i set mine up so it only works on full throttle pulls. But as i have a TDM900 box i just blip it a bit in traffic anyway...900 box so much smoother!
Comes,down to finding style I guess, if I am in a relaxed state and slow in shifting up, the engine revs fall to below required for the new higher gear.
Must emphasise ..relaxed gear changes tho.
When the crazy eye is in,..no upward throttle blips.
Downshifts always blip.
Still reason that a quick shift might not be good up shifting when In the lower gears tho..[/quote]

Gotcha :) I also agree with not using one in lower gears, especially 1 - 2. Too easy to hit neutral.

When I raced Yamaha LCs, I wired the kill switch into the horn button and full throttle shifted from 2 - 6 by pressing the horn as I eased on the gearshift - worked fine until the scrutineers checked everyone's horn worked to make sure the bike was stock proddy :evil: . What they failed to miss were some bikes with expansion chambers welded inside the stock silencers :lol:
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white

alextrx850
Site Sponsor

Post by alextrx850 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:11 am

Well said Dandy,
As I've read from other sports bike blogs, that trying to force the gears into uneven rpm and mesh patterns will likley in time bend the shift forks, if not damaging the gears themselves.
Each to their own.

Excalibre
Site Sponsor

Post by Excalibre » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:22 am

davamb wrote:Mick,

Bunnings sells these little turnbuckles. They're stainless and have one LH and one RH M6 thread.

Maybe of use?
Love this forum :D
I picked up one of these from Bunnings for my Quickshifter setup and it did the job perfectly.
Looks great too, no one can believe it's an off-the-shelf gizmo from a hardware store.
Black '99: Race Tech fork springs/emulators, R6 Shock, FCR41's, Modified airbox with K&N filter, Omrae carbon mufflers, R1 brakes, Toby steering damper, and;
Black '01: unmodified, 100% original, and;
'95 Import: Track Bike - too much to list