Rebuild thread

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

SDN
Site Sponsor

Re: Rebuild thread

Post by SDN » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:42 pm

Does anyone know what the tread is on the bolt securing the alternator stator? want to make up somthing to dial in the cams

Hopefully can start putting it back in the frame next week

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:54 am

SDN wrote:Does anyone know what the tread is on the bolt securing the alternator stator? want to make up somthing to dial in the cams
M12 x 1.25
It needs to be 82mm long including head (75mm min shank) and I have an idea the spacer I used was around 26mm (an old front wheel spacer) which allowed the wheel a couple of mm clearance from the Alt. case..
I drilled a hole in the timing wheel so I could view TDC with the Alt. case on and just the 2 bungs removed.
I had already established TDC was correct with the factory markings on my Alt. case.

Go to a push bike shop and buy a 16" rim spoke (they are around 6" long) and cost $2 and it's an easy tool to get the reach you need on the bucket if using a dial gauge.
I used a spare dog bone for the magnetic base bolted to the top of the cam journal to give me a mounting point.
A test indicator may not give you the clearance either.

All the hard work is done for you Simon so you should be able to knock it over in a jiffy mate.
3 0r 4 degrees is only a couple of mm to be filed on the holes. :wink:
laughter is the best medicine

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:09 pm

Progress - valve clearances all done and cam chain, tensioner etc all fitted - engine turns over fine

I have bought an M12 fine bolt, which I will drill and tap to M8 on a lathe, I will then run some 8mm all thread down it, which I can attach the timing wheel to via 8mm nuts and oversize washers, just need to make up a pointer and figure out the best way to mount the DTI. I can then dial the cams in - I have some spare sprockets that I can slot, though whether it will make an appreciable difference - I don't know, but at least I can be all vituous and state it has been done correctly.

Hopefully Engine will be back in the frame this weekend

I could do with knowing the cable route for thye starter motor if anyone knows it

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:56 pm

Just looked at cobbas post on dialing in the cams - I now understand about the bicycle spoke - very clever!

I may get away with using the lever attachment on my DTI or I may have to go and buy a bicycle spoke!

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:05 pm

Well it is finished - had the dreadful fear as I started it up on temp fuel tank - but it started up fine, ran weak without the tank, a lot of popping and banging! Put the tank on and it ran fine, no leaks and cobbas head gasket held up a treat, it went up to temperture and the fan came on, ran nice and quite. I am running some flushing oil through it, will do a couple of gentle miles, then change oil and filter.

Run it through the gears on the stand and it was fine, so fingers crossed it will all be good

Rod.s
Site Sponsor

Post by Rod.s » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:18 am

SDN wrote:Well it is finished - had the dreadful fear as I started it up on temp fuel tank - but it started up fine, ran weak without the tank, a lot of popping and banging! Put the tank on and it ran fine, no leaks and cobbas head gasket held up a treat, it went up to temperture and the fan came on, ran nice and quite. I am running some flushing oil through it, will do a couple of gentle miles, then change oil and filter.

Run it through the gears on the stand and it was fine, so fingers crossed it will all be good
Now you have got to be happy with that :D
If it's not made in China, it's a fake!

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:32 am

Cool bananas , up and running again.
How did you go with dialing the cams?
Exhaust out a few degrees was it??
laughter is the best medicine

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:30 am

If I had known how much bloody work dialling the cams would entail I never would have done it!

Bike spoke trick worked a treat so thanks for that cobba - pure genius

No mag base so I drilled a piece of strip to sit on the cam caps then drilled and tapped it to take the DTI post + made a timing disc from some ali sheet and a down loaded paper timing disc + all the bother of dilling and tapping and M12 fine bolt to takes some 8mm all thread to mount the timing disc on, oh yeah and you have to take the alternator cover off to remove the bolt - by now seriousl;y starting to regret doing this!

Cam sprocket was bloody hard to file!but all done now.

Got the rad new Samco hoses and all the plastics on

One thing I would like clarity on is which way round the gearbox sprocket goes, mine has a machined boss on one sid, does this face the engine - cant find any pictures which show it clearly anywhere - I wiil repeat question on troubles thread

Want the weather to warm up so I can have a shakedown run - all ice and snow this morning

Willhave to spend a bit of quality time with the wife as she is seriously hacked off being a TRX widow

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:29 am

Looks quite bright out - bruised my foot in Karate so I cant train, but I think I could manage a short shakedown run, just to check nothing is leaking or falling off. Will post up how I get on

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:24 am

All done, took it out for a short ride tippy toeing round cold roads after not riding for a few months, went through the gears fine, !st gear is fearsome and would not take much to boost a huge wheelie.

Now starting on the 5PW yokes with reduced offset