Rebuild thread

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Re: Rebuild thread

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:05 pm

Loctite 515 is what I used and works a charm. So easy to clean off if pulled apart again.
Hylomar blue in a spray can works a treat on the copper head gasket too Simon.
laughter is the best medicine

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:16 pm

Cheers Cobba - will try to poost some of the latest pics tonight - dratted work computer won't play with photo bucket

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:06 am

Crank all good

pile of bits!

one probable cause of dodgy third gear

Well I have started putting it back together TDM gearbox went in. then could get it to mesh, until I took a good look at the Yamaha service manual and realised that the left and right selector forks were the wrong way round - Duh! now sorted and it all meshes and seems OK. But the crappy thing with gearboxes is you will never really know until it is all built up and back in the frame as you cant really load it up where you can observe and fix a problem!

Will spend a bit of time carefully putting it through the ratios and checking for slop or problems before continuing with the rebuild.

Trixed
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Trixed » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:21 pm

Hey sdn
Noticed u have a huger for the yzeef swinger. What brand is it and where can I procure one?
It is time to rev your hearts!

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:05 am

hugger was off E bay - cant recall supplier

Balance shafts were a bastard to get in but did it in the end - just hope all this bloody effort is worth it

More piccies - not much progress as wife was seriously unimpressed

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:13 am

How do you think my wife feels Simon, mine is right in the middle of the lounge room.. :lol:
Had to hide it under blankets when the landlord came around the other day to measure up for a skylight in the L,room. :lol: :lol:
Not far to go mate and you'll be mobile again. 8) 8)

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:40 pm

Cheers cobba - took her indoors out for valentines and we watched forty shades - what a pile / crock - should be called shades of brown

Oh well on we go - slowing a bit cos am scraping gaskets and cleaning as I go and painting some of the components + as am now older I need glasses to see anything close up, which is a massive pain. what with losing them and looking for them and then they are actually on my bloody head!

Sump is on, rods are on crank - it should all be plain sailing from here on - LOL - torqing the big ends was interesting what with the crank trying to move and trying to get round the balance shaft - I was about to put the sump on when I realised I hadnt fitted the rods - I think I was getting tired

Will do valve clearances on kitchen table 1 early morning - remembering this time that both valves are 0.15 on Kent cams - before wife gets up!

Just bought new sealsfor gearshaft, gearshift and a new battery - which is another £80 down the pan + may have to buy some shims

Should remember the old mechanics maxim - when it start going wrong - get rid - oh well it will all be worth it when it is finished

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:14 pm

Oh well seem to have lost an installment??

lots of f**k ups putting the pistons on with the engine upside down to stop the clips falling into the crankcase I turned the ngine right way up, only to notice the pistons were on the wrong way - shit -re-fitted them, then noticed that had forgotten to fit water pump drive gear.

was getting mad now - sump off, balance shft out and then more frustration with getting the ballance shafts timed up

then checked the head shims - need new shims to take exhaust to 0.15 for Kent cams

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tarwetijger » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:54 pm

Easy now SDN, no need to rush! What really helped me is literally working by the book. Following the workshop manual step by step, to make sure you don't forget something important.
Ah well, you're almost done anyway!

Are you using a TDM gearbox for a specific reason?

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:17 am

Yes I was just about to remind you of the waterpump Simon. #-o #-o
I had to do the same, remove the bottom pan and rotor to access the front balance shaft.
I remember no when I pulled it apart thinking...mmmmmmm I better no forget that. :lol:
The first time I placed the crank in I did the same, realising I had put it in back to front. :lol: :lol:

Slow and steady wins the race as they say and after those couple of silly mistakes , I got into the habit of after each step reading through it and rechecking and then check again before the next step.
Same as you Simon, once I started getting tired, I would make a mistake so I would just stop and start a fresh after a break or another day.

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:33 am

All good advice guys - no good rushing things, however being male and reading manuals are not always mutually compatible + I have my wife having a bloody good moan about the amount of bike time I am taking at the moment so probably pushing on when I should have stopped for a break. Also days are getting longer and I fancy a ride out

Hopefully it will all be fine - reassuringly I have no worrying spare bits and I kept all my components religeously in little plastic trays you get your supermarket meat in all grouped by assembly

Will also give all the hard to get swingarm pivot plates and linkages a bloody good clean as they are pretty cruddy

note plastic containers

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:48 am

What was the paint you used to repaint the motor Simon??
I've gone off re painting the motor black and I will stick to silver.

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:05 am

Hi Brian, paint is Hycote - it is a good match to the original paint - and was going on well - though I am the worst painter in the world and I have just sprayed too heavy a coat and got a load of runs - oh well thats what wet and dry is for LOL

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:28 am

Am using the TDM, coz mine was banjoed and a TDM complete box, with forks and drum was on flea bay for the right price, have a gearbox sprocket with 1 less tooth, so gearing may be hilarious!

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:01 pm

Shims have just arrived - that was bloody quick - unfortunately work is suspended to go to London to visit parents and meet son. Some things are priorities, but maybe - Sunday!!!