Yzf750 -Trx stem swop

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Trxdick
Site Sponsor

Yzf750 -Trx stem swop

Post by Trxdick » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:18 am

Hi guys
Having pressed both stems out ( apparently a straight swop ) I've got a Trx stem that is not a tight fit in the yzf yoke . A sharp tap sees the stem exit the yoke . This is not a show stopper , I have a couple of ideas to sort it but I am a little surprised because as far as I have read on the forum it should be a straight swop . The only thing I can think of is that the circlip type thing above the shoulder at the bottom of the Trx stem ( which is not on the yzf stem) is stoping it seating in the yzf yoke . Am I supposed to remove this clip before pressing ?
Any help much appreciated :?

sanddune51
Site Sponsor

Re: Yzf750 -Trx stem swop

Post by sanddune51 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:21 pm

If you are concerned you can have that area of the stem lightly knurled or possibly look through the "Loctite" range of products. 2 that might be useful are Bearing Fit or Retainer.
Other solutions are available :)

Mark.

Trxdick
Site Sponsor

Post by Trxdick » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:00 pm

Already bought permanent stud fix but was just wondering as I've not heard of anyone having this problem with this swap .
Cheers anyway though 8) hope I don't get it mixed up with my thread lock or all my fasteners will become permanent :shock:

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Post by trixynut » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:05 pm

You sure you have a TRX stem?
They are a straight swap, TRX one is just longer iirc.
can you check the diameter of them to compare?
Or post up some pics.

Trxdick
Site Sponsor

Post by Trxdick » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:18 pm

Definitely Trx stem and 93 yzf yoke . The fit is almost there , an interference fit more than a pressed fit though. I get the impression that if it went in a couple of thou more it would be tight but as I said the circlip thingy is bottoming out . Will try and measure up but all I have is a digital vernier and I think I'll need a mic to see the difference :?

alextrx850
Site Sponsor

Post by alextrx850 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:44 pm

Yzf is a straight swop over, takes about 3 Tons in the press to fit the trx stem in, I did one just the other week.
All yzf lower tripples are same diameter, maybe you have removed the yzf stem upwards taking the circlip with it enlarging the diameter of the lower tripple.
Should be pushed out going down.
I've always cut my stems out, less drama and stress to the trx stem.

Trxdick
Site Sponsor

Post by Trxdick » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:23 pm

Cut the Trx yoke (to make things easier) and then pushed the stem out downwards . Do you fit the stem with the circlip thingy in place ? I'm sure it will be fine with a bit of stud fix but it is weird that it's just mine that is a bit on the baggy side :?

alextrx850
Site Sponsor

Post by alextrx850 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:13 pm

Trxdick wrote:Cut the Trx yoke (to make things easier) and then pushed the stem out downwards . Do you fit the stem with the circlip thingy in place ? I'm sure it will be fine with a bit of stud fix but it is weird that it's just mine that is a bit on the baggy side :?
Sounds like you've gone the right way, yes the circlip will fit with the new stem as its a base locater and stops the stem from pulling through.
I think I did a photo run through post on the yzf front fit up about two years ago in the modified section.

Trxdick
Site Sponsor

Post by Trxdick » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:32 pm

Cheers guys , I guess it's just one of,those things that will go unexplained and make life more interesting , especially if it starts to come adrift :shock:

Trendy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Trendy » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:08 pm

I've just offered up my trx stem to a 98 R1 bottom yoke and it fell into the hole. The only thing stopping it falling right through was the spring washer on the end. The trx stem is definitely marginally smaller than the 98-2000 R1 one. Toying with the idea of boring a hole through the whole lot once sealed in place and tapping in spring pin just to be sure.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:55 am

I had a bush inserted into the billet trees I had made up, easiest way around the problem.
laughter is the best medicine

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:22 pm

Weld up the stem and turn it down to size on a lathe, I also used plenty of locktite!