Progressive Springs

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

bevie
TRX-Enthusiast

Progressive Springs

Post by bevie » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:19 pm

Hi Guys,
Looking for some feedback on wheather I would notice an improvement if I fit progressive springs I'am busy getting the bike ready for our Summer "I need to be quick it doesn't last long "done all the usual winter jobs and think it may be a good idea to do the springs,or maybe not.If I do it what oil weight and amount should I use :?: Please excuse me if this has been covered before :oops:
Ian.

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:27 pm

Yes, you'll notice a difference (i was very surprised)

For £60 or so hagon will deliver the springs and oil you need - IMHO this is one of the most effective (per pound) methods of improving the front end

H1
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by H1 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:11 pm

Hi Bevie!

I´m very happy with wilbers < http://www.wilbers.de/ >

Ciao!

Heinz
Ciao!

Heinz

burty
Site Sponsor

Post by burty » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:15 am

I've got the Hagon progressive springs, and it's well worth the £60 or so quid it costs. It made a big difference to the behaviour of the bike, particularly under braking and into corners.

For a no fuss, no engineering mod it's highly recommended.

If you consider that your fork oil probably needs replacing anyway, and you are going to have to take the forks off and apart to do that, then it becomes even more time/cost effective.

I don't doubt that the various YZF or R6 fork alternatives, may be better technically, but you've only got to read the various threads here to see that they come with a variable level of complexity.

CULater
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by CULater » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:27 am

I say HYPERPRO,
Our club did help to develop the springs for the TRX and TDM (850 and 900 models)
Lots of members use them!

phuk72

Post by phuk72 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:04 am

CULater wrote:I say HYPERPRO,
Our club did help to develop the springs for the TRX and TDM (850 and 900 models)
Lots of members use them!
Interesting - got any of the data?

bevie
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by bevie » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:15 pm

Thanks,
Will fit a set in the next few weeks.
Ian.

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:41 am

Progressives are OK but they're used for a reason - to disguise the inadaquate damping characteristics of the stock dampers.

IMHO it would be far better to go the full hog and get LINEAR springs and Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators..............they really make things work, especially trail braking on a bumpy surface (yeah yeah.......I'll wait for the backlash - wot?? trail braking a TeDiuM............ :roll: )
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white

phuk72

Post by phuk72 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:31 am

dandywarhol wrote:Progressives are OK but they're used for a reason - to disguise the inadaquate damping characteristics of the stock dampers.

IMHO it would be far better to go the full hog and get LINEAR springs and Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators..............they really make things work, especially trail braking on a bumpy surface (yeah yeah.......I'll wait for the backlash - wot?? trail braking a TeDiuM............ :roll: )
That's very true (but not what was asked)

That said, you may as well put a YZF front end in and really sort things out

Max
Janitor

Post by Max » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:40 am

For what it's worth... I kinda like my old school pogo sticks. :P
Max

(TaZ, tz250w)

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Post by trixynut » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:27 pm

I went for Ohlins springs, not progressive but about 10% stiffer and also longer than standard(do away with the top spacer tube). Same oil thickness/quantity.

Massive improvement. Cost about £70 a pair new.

Dave

bevie
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by bevie » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:13 pm

phuk72 wrote:Yes, you'll notice a difference (i was very surprised)

For £60 or so hagon will deliver the springs and oil you need - IMHO this is one of the most effective (per pound) methods of improving the front end
Hi phuk72,
I finally got the springs they are a bit shorter than the standard springs do I need to fit another spacer :?: at the moment there is a top washer spacer tube and bottom washer "not a spring seat"I have to screw adjusters in fully to get correst sag ,is this right.
Cheers Ian.

dfh
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by dfh » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:52 am

bevie wrote: Hi phuk72,
I finally got the springs they are a bit shorter than the standard springs do I need to fit another spacer :?: at the moment there is a top washer spacer tube and bottom washer "not a spring seat"I have to screw adjusters in fully to get correst sag ,is this right.
Cheers Ian.
Hi Bevie

The starting point is to place the old spring, top and bottom washers and spacer on your bench to measure the 'free' or 'uninstalled' length. Do the same for the new spring and all the above bits. Cut a completely new spacer from fresh tube, either thin wall metal or PVC pipe, to give yourself the same starting point. This means the old and new springs will have the same 'installed' length ( the spring needs to be compressed slightly to get the fork cap to fit). The difference between the free and installed length should give the correct preload for the 'free' sag, if the spring rate is correct. I am surprised the springs came without new spacer tube or installation instructions.

As far as sag goes there are two types to consider- and the terminology is flexible at this point in the english speaking world. To measure both types of sag you will need to take a measurement of the fork fully extended- I use the dust scraper to the bottom triple clamp. From this you need to subtract the average measure of the point where the forks settle under load. First measure from letting the forks settle from full extention, then have your mate push down on the top clamp and let the bike rise up and settle. Averaging the two removes the effect of friction within the fork.

Type 1 is free sag ie the amount the forks compress from fully extended supporting the weight of the bike only. If the installed length and spring rate is in the ball park then the forks should compress 10-15mm under the weight of the bike ALONE. If you cannot get this figure by adjusting the preload adjusters at this point then you need to consider the spring rate is wrong*

Type 2 is static sag.. also called loaded sag or "race" sag. If the spring rate is correct and the figure for type 1 is met then when you hop on the bike with your riding gear on the forks should compress between 30 and 40mm fron fully extended ( not the free sag point) using the same measuring system as above. If it does go for a ride, your finished. If it doesnt ...

.....if you need to add preload from the setting that works for the free sag then the spring is slightly soft, if you need to back the preload off then the spring is slightly too stiff. If you can adjust the preload adjusters to give 30 to 40 mm static sag head off for a ride, job done.

If you cannot get the magic 30 to 40mm by winding the preload in to the max then the spring rate is too soft and NO AMOUNT OF FUTZING ABOUT WILL FIX IT. It will be good to remember at this point that spring rate has NO EFFECT on ride quality. Ride is a function of damping curves and preload. For example a too soft spring will rider harsher than a stiffer spring if it is over preloaded to set sag.

The same goes for the reverse, if you wind the preload adjuster out and it still gives less than 30mm the the spring is too hard and no amount of futzing will fix it

*unfortunatly progressive springs, IMHO, are a lazy companies attempt to make a one-size-fits all spring, rather than stock a range of springs for each bike/rider combo. A TRX weighs 200kg with a full tank of fuel. TRX riders would range from 60kg to 130kg without difficulty. The theory is that lightweight rider with progressives correctly preloaded would only use the lighter end of the progressives, and the heavyweight only the heavier rate. But by definition each rider will only use part of the suspension travel. With the correct rate selected for the riders weight the spring rate is useable through all of its travel, with obvious benefits to ride quality.

Another thing to consider is that rebound damping is directly related to spring rate. Set the damping to control a progressive springs extension from fully compressed and by the time the spring reaches its mid point it is over damped. Run over a set of ripples and the front end will pack down, ride gets harsh and here comes a headshake.

Set the rebound to work in the middle or soft end of the springs stroke and the fork will rebound fast from deep in its stroke and feel unsettled. Getting rebound is crucial for stability, grip and comfort. Progressives do not help the cause.

Hope this helps.... if it were me I would sent the things back and get some correctly weighted straight weight springs from a professional supplier. When you phone them they should ask #1 for what bike?, #2 how heavy are you? If not hang up.

DFH
Now with 140,000 on the clocks, X-mas tree didn't kill it & I still love it.

burty
Site Sponsor

Post by burty » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:31 am

Which brand of springs are we discussing here?

I don't recall any problems with the length of the Hagon springs.

bevie
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by bevie » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:12 am

burty wrote:Which brand of springs are we discussing here?

I don't recall any problems with the length of the Hagon springs.
Hi Burty,
Yes they are Hagons.